UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2018, 6:33 pm   #1
andrewgu
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony Elcaset EL5

Hi
I have just acquired an EL5 and and still awaiting a tape to arrive BUT the capstan seems to be running continuously, not so sure if this is common to these machines, anyone know ? Thank you, Andrew
Old 15th Sep 2018, 8:41 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony Elcaset EL5

I wouldn't have thought this unusual - the capstan runs continuously in most mains cassette machines, and the basic concept of Elcaset wasn't radically different.
Old 21st Sep 2018, 3:50 pm   #3
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

Hi,
These have a fairly involved logic control system where the FG servo capstan motor is enabled or disabled depending on mode selected or combination of system status signals.

However, I would expect it to be disabled in stop mode.

Cheers
Rich
Old 22nd Sep 2018, 3:05 pm   #4
sp10mk11
Octode

Hello I have an EL-5 and the motor does not run continuously when it is powered up, the motor only spins when a deck function is selected.
You should give this a full service before offering tapes to it, download a manual get a belt set and some chammy leather (if need be) to replacing the brake linings
Gary
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 10:49 am   #5
TIMTAPE
Octode

Yes the service manual schematic seems to confirm a DC motor, suggesting the power to the motor is permanently on but shouldnt be. Sometimes the power is switched on always by design but not a good thing as small DC motors werent really designed for continuous running.
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 3:07 pm   #6
sp10mk11
Octode

"as small DC motors weren't really designed for continuous running" absolutely especially modern ones
Fortunately the FG Servo motor in this machine is not like the smaller ones used in cassette decks, it is a hefty well engineered one , I have seen it used in one of Sony's belt driven turntables.
Even if it were running all the time I would have no concerns
Gary
Old 24th Sep 2018, 11:58 am   #7
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp10mk11 View Post
Gary
I would have concerns, especially since we agree the EL5 was designed to only run the motor when a function was selected. People can forgetfully leave equipment on for days, perhaps assuming that when the machine auto stopped at the end of a tape, it fully shut off. The extra wear on a motor can be huge.
Old 24th Sep 2018, 2:11 pm   #8
sp10mk11
Octode

Sorry by that comment I meant if it were designed to be on all the time I would have no worries.
Gary
" People can forgetfully leave equipment on for days" yes I call it soak testing when I do it
Old 24th Sep 2018, 2:15 pm   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTAPE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp10mk11 View Post
Gary
I would have concerns, especially since we agree the EL5 was designed to only run the motor when a function was selected. People can forgetfully leave equipment on for days, perhaps assuming that when the machine auto stopped at the end of a tape, it fully shut off. The extra wear on a motor can be huge.
A friend of mine has a Pioneer record deck that hardly gets used and sits virtually on the floor under a cabinet. He recently was doing something in that corner of the room and noticed that the deck was running. After thinking about it long and hard he worked out that it had last been used at a family Christmas party some three years previously!