UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2011, 9:58 pm   #1
slderiron
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vintage 9v PP7 battery palaver.

Took a trip to Maplins on Wednesday to get the 9 volt battery pictured. The standard 9 volt battery is also in the pic for comparison. Its for my daughter's 1960's dansette radio.

Maplins only had two in stock, both of which expired September 2010. Apologies given, details taken, and advised that they would have some more on the shelves by Saturday. Apparently they only restock when there are less than two in stock, so I'd have been waiting forever unless someone did'nt point out that the two batteries in stock had expired last year.

Undeterred, I visited an independent electrical retailer, the only other shop in Reading that stocks these batteries. Was pleased to hear they also has two in stock, not so pleased to find out that one of the batteries had expired in 2009, whilst the other expired in 2007! The shop keeper actually got the right hump when I spotted this, and needless to say i won't be going back there again.

Saturday, went back to Maplins. Rather than stock batteries that would actually work, they put the two expired batteries back on the shelf.

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to have to find a way of rigging up an alternative, these batteries are getting extremely difficult to get hold of (in un-expired condition).

There used to be a chap on this website whom I think went under the name Batterymaker, from America, does anyone know if he still makes makes up these vintage type batteries?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03205.JPG
Views:	806
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	52383  
Old 12th Jun 2011, 10:08 pm   #2
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage 9v Battery palava.

CPC will stock these batteries, see, http://cpc.farnell.com/ever-ready/60...pp9/dp/BT03749

They also do a cheaper GP battery and they also do the PP3
Old 12th Jun 2011, 10:13 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Do you have access to a Wilkinson? They usually stock PP9s.
Old 12th Jun 2011, 10:15 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

It's not the PP9 the OP requires, it's the PP7.
Old 12th Jun 2011, 10:20 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Small Battery Company also do them, although somewhat more pricey.
Old 12th Jun 2011, 10:29 pm   #6
slderiron
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Darren, yes, have gone through to Farnell's website (thanks Murphy) and it appears these are PP7's, which they stock for £2.15 which is cheaper than anywhere. I'll place an order for a couple, just hope they're in date rather than what is available on the Highstreet. Many thanks for the assistance, best regards, john.
Old 12th Jun 2011, 10:42 pm   #7
batterymaker1
Heptode

I'm still here, though I'm taking a break on batteries. My mom died about a couple of weeks ago, and I'm taking care of her affairs.
Old 12th Jun 2011, 10:42 pm   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
it appears these are PP7's
The closer together terminals, compared to the PP9, give it away.
Old 12th Jun 2011, 11:21 pm   #9
slderiron
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Batterymaker. You made up a couple of vintage batteries for me a couple of years back, good quality replacements that worked well, particularly the
B126 90v. Sorry to hear of your loss. I have just ordered a few of these PP7's, but maybe when your up and running again in a few months you'd be able to make up a vintage type PP7? Not sure of the best way, maybe 6x AA's in series, or a PP9. I prefer the battery to look vintage, and you do a good job in that respect.
Best regards, john.
Old 12th Jun 2011, 11:52 pm   #10
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

I bought a somewhat expired PP9 in Halfords (Nov 2010 exp date?). The other 9 or 10 in stock years out of date. I plan to put NiMH/Alkaline AA holder in the case when it expires. But it shows no sign of doing so. Fidelity Rad 23

It must be 30 years since I saw something that takes a PP7.

The PP3 makes sense to me. But surely radios could have been designed for 6 x AAA, 6 x AA or 6 x C size. Or was it an Eveready / Ever Ready plot?

Ominously Lidl has stopped selling PP3s here. Smoke Alarms use nothing else. Some burglar alarms use 2 x PP3 and of course you need 10 of them for your battery valve radio

Now only AA and AAA with some shops doing PP3. Though Lidl does AAA, AA, PP3, C and D when doing NiMH
Old 13th Jun 2011, 12:02 am   #11
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I have refurbished several rechargable battery packs with NI Cad cells, you can get various sizes with solder tags . I have used them in 2 metre handheld radios, much much cheaper than the manufacturers replacements. You could do the same using dry battery cases. If you can't get enough in, use the next size down.

Peter
Old 13th Jun 2011, 12:22 am   #12
TuningIndicator
Retired Dormant Member

With PP3s, I've found the best bet is buy them, box at a time, from Farnell.
That way, at least you get decent date codes.
Current box of Procells are dated 2016.
Old 14th Jun 2011, 3:33 pm   #13
ed731pdh
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Vintage 9v Battery palaver.

On the shelf, in of all places, Homebase. Have picked up a few from here with no issues.
Old 14th Jun 2011, 4:07 pm   #14
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Vintage 9v Battery palaver.

It was established early on that the OP requires a PP7 and he's been given a few options for this, real and repro.

The thread is now becoming both confusing and OT with it's numerous mentions, and links to, the (incorrect) PP9 and others. The subject of repro batteries is also adequately covered elsewhere.

As all this has caused a huge current drain on the poor old PP7, we're closing the thread.
Closed Thread