UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2019, 12:47 am   #1
Michael Maurice

Default Philips EL3542

Does any one know what I could use to replace the 3 clutch pads under each spool on these recorders.

Just as important, does anyone know the height that these protrude above the housing?

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 8th Dec 2019, 12:56 am   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Philips EL3542

I vaguely recall someone suggesting rubber erasers out of pencils.
Old 8th Dec 2019, 7:57 am   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

These are domed Neoprene plugs, which protrude about a millimetre above the surround. Eraser rubber may be too grippy for smooth operation, but easy enough to try. Hellyer's "What's in a clutch", tape recorder ca 1968, may be helpful.
Old 8th Dec 2019, 11:51 am   #4
peterpixel
Pentode

I have a distant memory of using cut rubber grommets which seemed to do the job quite well.Peter.
Old 8th Dec 2019, 6:07 pm   #5
retroteck
Tetrode

If you don't mind using cork i replaced mine with 8mm Natural Cork Balls from a firm called 'Just Cork'
https://www.just-cork.co.uk/natural-...all-p-371.html

They are a good easy push fit and all that needs to be done is to gently file the top so that they protrude above the metal circular holders by about 1.5 mm or so.

Rod
Old 9th Dec 2019, 10:25 am   #6
ricard
Octode

I've cut down (homogeneous, not made of cork shavings) cork wine stoppers in the past using a small knife (I've cut them into a hexagonal shape for simplicity which works well enough), but those cork balls seem really ideal.

Someone I read about had used rather hard rubber, the type used for door stoppers, with success. I too think that pencil eraser rubber will be too soft and will probably shed shavings in use.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 11:27 am   #7
IanG3XYV
Pentode

I did what ricard above did - cutting slivers from a wine bottle cork and fitting hexagonal pieces into the receptacle. With a bit of trial and error to get the height right, it worked reasonably well.

Ian
Old 9th Dec 2019, 12:29 pm   #8
wd40addict
Octode

I used 8mm rubber cord from eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-O-Rin...oAAOxy4dNSy-j9

I cut six slices slightly too long, inserted them in the holes (is nice snug fit), then gently filed down until there was no drive to turntables unless in fast wind.
Closed Thread