UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2019, 8:31 am   #21
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Suggestions for fixing multiple tape devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosferit View Post
I searched for it, but all I saw was some hardware solution, like the AZ-1, did I miss something?
The current CEDAR phase correction software is available on the Cambridge platform. As I said, superb, with a price to match.
Old 5th Dec 2019, 8:46 am   #22
Atmosferit
Triode

Default Re: Suggestions for fixing multiple tape devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTAPE View Post
It probably also depends on the data recording itself. It seems different companies had different formats and standards for such cassette data recordings.
If you are interested in the topic, last week I wrote a blog post detailing some of the information I found about tape format and issues on this particular computer:

http://blog.defence-force.org/index....cles&ref=ART63

tl;dr; There was no standard tape device for the machine, so we ended up with multiple publishers using differently calibrated duplication machines, and depending of the games the volume can be vastly different, and there are definite differences in azimuth from one company to another.

The encoding itself is just a simple measure of how much time elapsed between two high edges... the problem being that the signal is all but nice and sharp.

What I'm not sure, is how the azimuth setting impacts the detection of edges?
Closed Thread