UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2020, 6:24 pm   #1
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Trying to put a vintage kit radio together

Of the many bits and pieces I have collected over the years, here is what appears to be an incomplete multiband radio kit. There is no circuit diagram nor are there any instructions. The PCB is for a superhet radio, but there is no space to solder on an oscillator coil or on/off volume control. I have all the required transistors, diode and IFTs for it, including the transformer.

However, I also have a set of four coils, including the MW antenna coil (with three terminals, as opposed to the usual four wires). There is no PCB for these to be mounted on to. Can anyone please help me identify which coil is for which band and how they should be connected to the main PCB to complete the set ? If anyone knows of a similar radio or kit, that might help too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200112_231142_edited.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	197020   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200112_230607_edited.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	197021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200111_222006_edited.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	197022  

Last edited by Jolly 7; 13th Jan 2020 at 6:26 pm. Reason: Additional details
Old 13th Jan 2020, 9:17 pm   #2

Default Re: Trying to put a vintage kit radio together

I would hazard a guess the 1..5 got to a wavechange switch, tuning capacitor and the oscillator and aerial coils. I can't see a detector diode. It would be fairly obvious what to do if the circuit is reverse engineered.

Looks like a fun challenge.

Old 14th Jan 2020, 1:21 am   #3
Jolly 7
Octode

Thanks for that. The AC127 seems to be a printing error. There ought to be a detector diode there instead, connected to IFT3.
Old 14th Jan 2020, 8:40 am   #4
Electronpusher0
Nonode

You have not posted a picture of the pcb tracks but I would guess that the base and collector of the AC127 are connected together to use it as a diode. The AC127 is after all a germanium transistor.

Peter
Old 14th Jan 2020, 9:24 am   #5
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Looks like that is just the if and audio pcb and there should be a second one for osc and rf ranges.
Rob
Old 14th Jan 2020, 3:16 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes that's the IF-and-audio board; there would have been another for the RF/frequency0changer end.

Interesting the mention of "Stancor" transformer - they were one of the big US transformer-makers in the last century - http://www.stancor.com/index.html
Old 14th Jan 2020, 7:36 pm   #7

Quote:
Yes that's the IF-and-audio board
I have thoughts that the transistor top left before IFT1 is the oscillator mixer, if this was only IF and AF the first component would be an IF transformer, there are enough wires (terminal points) to do this as per your average transistor radio of the day. Must be pretty posh as two IF transformers was the norm, three is sheer luxury.

Old 14th Jan 2020, 7:45 pm   #8
paulsherwin

The coils look a bit ancient for the PCB, which uses a typical late 60s Si Lockfit / AC128 transistor mix.
Closed Thread