UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2020, 12:00 am   #1
William275
Triode

Default Collaro RC54 stylus

Does anybody know the number for a collaro rc. 54 stylus is please. It looks a bit similar to the bsr tc8 one
Old 19th Jan 2020, 7:27 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Collaro RC54 stylus

Musonic list the RC547, which May be the correct one
Old 19th Jan 2020, 7:36 am   #3
William275
Triode

Thankyou for that. I’m going to take it out today as it looks almost identical to the one I have on my Ferguson radiogram
Old 19th Jan 2020, 12:46 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

This should be the one, but be aware that this stylus is for mono only, and will wreck stereo records. To play stereo records, you need to replace the whole cartridge, not just the stylus.

https://www.musonic.co.uk/index.php?...ducts_id=20398
Old 19th Jan 2020, 1:21 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The BSR TC8 Mono stylus will fit the Collaro "Studio" cartridge in your RC54 perfectly.
You may also see that it is possible to buy a Stereo stylus as well, the TC8S. But but this is not recommended due to the very poor vertical compliance in this otherwise excellent Collaro cartridge.
Old 19th Jan 2020, 1:51 pm   #6
William275
Triode

Thank you for the help. I will order one tomorrow. I only play mono records so I prefer to keep it as it was. I’ve had this particular radiogram over 12 years so it’s well over due for a new stylus. I cleaned all the switches yesterday and it’s back performing very well but noticed the sound playing a record was a bit scratchy sounding. I found an old record I didn’t care about and tried it with the 78 needle and it sounded far better so I’m sure it needs replacing. Just out of interest. Would anyone know out of the Ferguson 387 RG. I have and my other GEC BC9640. Was the better of the two radiograms. The gec is date stamped 1946
Old 19th Jan 2020, 6:16 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well, in Theory, the GEC should have better sound as it has a slightly more sophisticated circuit, a larger cabinet and (I believe) a 10" speaker as opposed to the 8" in the Ferguson. The "Contemporry" cabinet version of the GEC Radiogram is very attractive and far more scarce than the Ferguson. The GEC will have been made in late 1955 or early 1956. The Ferguson is from mid 1956 to 1957.
Old 21st Jan 2020, 11:34 pm   #8
William275
Triode

Hi Edward, yes you are right I fitted the new stylus today and the sound is great , everything works perfectly on it apart from the string for the tuning dial it snapped a few years back but I have it set on one radio station so it doesn’t bother me .i imagine it was quite expensive when new.
Old 21st Jan 2020, 11:39 pm   #9
William275
Triode

One thing I have noticed with the Ferguson. Is how quiet it is when it’s switched on no hum or crackle it’s silent. I have a feeling that the vhf isn’t working on it I’m not messing with it till I get the new control cog back. But I know mw. Works
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 1:16 am   #10
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
The BSR TC8 Mono stylus will fit the Collaro "Studio" cartridge in your RC54 perfectly.
You may also see that it is possible to buy a Stereo stylus as well, the TC8S. But but this is not recommended due to the very poor vertical compliance in this otherwise excellent Collaro cartridge.
Edward, there's no such thing as a stereo stylus for these, it's exactly the same stylus as the mono one and has the same part number. The supplier only lists them like this so as to help people who are searching for a particular stylus for a particular cartridge.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 10:15 am   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

OK. My understanding is based on information that says that this was the original BSR stylus type (with no red or gren markings on the shank) made for the BSR TC8S Stereo crystal cartridge, launched in the Summer of 1958. The 3 pin connector type. I have the original BSR factory specification sheets, with tip measurements, for these (currently in storage).