UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 25th Oct 2012, 10:36 pm   #1
AD360 Rob
Hexode

Default Bush TR106 G

Evening all, I came across this little set at a local classic car show a couple of months ago, it was on one of the many autojumble stalls, right at the back in a box along with a late 70's early 80's Radiomobile (badged as chrysler) car radio. Both looked to have been in that box for quite some time, Anyway, some skilled haggling got me the pair for under a tenner.

Upon getting them home, I whipped the back off the Bush to find a brand new PP9 sitting there not connected to anything. After connecting it the set still did not work but did pop when the wave change switches were pressed, several good squirts with servisol got the set to actually power up and I could get a couple of very strong stations coming thrugh quietly.

After a bit of tapping of the AF117's I thought they were all ok and began to look elsewhere for the low gain. Tracing the signal back from the audio stages with my scope revealed a really weak signal right the way back to the mixer stage. Yes, you've guessed it, VT1 the first AF117 was indeed faulty, it had not quite gone short collector/screen but was reading about 50 ohms, enough to allow the L/O to work at the correct frequency but pulling the supply down to about 4 volts meaning the remaining I/F stages hardly worked.

I replaced it with a BC214 which restored normal operation on MW but LW was just noise so I decided to try one of my precious AF200's instead. . . RESULT! perfect reception on both bands. This experience has taught me that the AF11x range still has the capacity to surprise me and that a silicon replacement that works in the L/O position in one set may not work in the same position in another set even from the same manufacturer.

Now on to the cabinet, It was filthy as you'd expect but remarkably undamaged, I carefully dismantled it ready for washing and it came up quite well, the speaker grill was cleaned then lightly sprayed gold as it was originally, the Bush badge was cleaned and highlighted in the same gold colour, the brass trim was given a good going over with the solvol autosol and came up nicely, the set was then reassembled and is now on soak test in the kitchen.

Rob.

P.S. I really must get into the habit of photographing sets before I start on them as well as after I finish!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0515.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	71848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0516.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	71849  
Old 25th Oct 2012, 10:41 pm   #2
alanworland
Heptode

Default Re: Bush TR106 G

Great job, it's great to give these old sets a new lease of life!

Alan
Old 26th Oct 2012, 9:40 am   #3
SeanStevens
Octode

Nice looking set - well done.

SEAN
Old 30th Oct 2012, 11:39 pm   #4
AD360 Rob
Hexode

Thanks Guys for your encouraging words, I do get a lot of pleasure from bringing an old set back to life.

Rob
Old 2nd Nov 2012, 2:52 pm   #5
Tazman1966
Nonode

A good result and a nice write up too
Closed Thread