UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2019, 5:06 pm   #1
retroaudio
Pentode

Default 1928 Osram Music Magnet No3

Hi I was looking for advice on restoring this set and I wanted to ensure I had understood the theoretical diagram correctly.

1) There are only 2 HT inputs one at 120 volts and 1 at 80 volts. I was going to try and achieve these voltages by use the using a load of PP3s in series.

2) Grid bias is about 4 volts I was going to achieve that by using a flat 4.5 volt battery of the type they used to use in cycle lamps. Cant remember the actual number of that battery.

3) Not sure what the low tension is . Am I right in assuming that's about 1.5 volts. What's the best way of achieving that without the supply being dissipated very quickly. when I tried to do this some time ago with post war battery sets I struggled to maintain the low tension voltage.

thanks Alex
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 6:41 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: 1928 Osram Music Magnet No3

Grid bias was normally adjustable in 1.5 volt steps to allow for HT battery ageing, but you must turn the set off to adjust it. LT is usually 2 volts (Lead acid or Cyclon) but 4 or 6 volt versions were made.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 9:09 pm   #3
Silicon
Nonode

If you forget to connect the grid bias battery before connecting the HT, the valves and transformers may be damaged.

It may be safer to wire a resistor network and zener diode on the HT negative side to make sure the grid bias is always present when the HT is connected.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 9:27 pm   #4
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Indeed the six cells in a GB pack are exactly the same cells in a flat 3 cell pack, used to be 1289. I've bought Panasonic ones and made replica packs, soldering tubes made of cut coffee tin as the wander plug sockets. The +9V goes to 0V. Start with GB wander lead at -9V and work towards 0 ether for distortion to end or measure anode current. Often the valves were graded with a colour or letter to indicate "ideal" GB tap until 1930s when valve characteristics were more uniform per model.

I've also used alkaline AA cells. The GB pack should normally last practically the shelf life.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 10:27 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Alex, I have 2 of these sets and they work well, main problems can be poor connections and the audio coupling transformer can be open circuit (easily rewound}.
Some of these sets could also use a 1.5 v supply to the det valve as well as the 4.5v to the AF valve.
A high impedance speaker is needed for the output, but a small output transformer with a 3R speaker will also work.
A long wire aerial, say 10m is needed. An earth is not always necessary, but do not use the mains earth as it may increase noise levels.
I may have the construction sheet for this set

Feel free to contact me if you have any problems

Cheers, Ed
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 11:18 pm   #6
retroaudio
Pentode

Hi at the moment its a pig in a poke until I can power it up. Its all there and very clean but that doesn't mean all the components are working
! I will need to buy some wire tomorrow for the terminals as I haven't done anything this for some time. I will get a Panasonic battery tomorrow for the grid bias and connect it first in the hope that in the past someone has not tried to power it up without one, I have a set of high impedance earphones a horn speaker and a high impedance paper cone speaker so if there is a kick out of it I should be able to hear something. I will keep you all posted.

Alex
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 12:35 am   #7
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

I've worked on one of these. You'd want to check coil continuity. A pair of NiMH with a series rectifier is also close enough. But neither Cyclone, Lead Acid nor NiMH with dropper should ever be connected while on charge, as the terminal voltage rises a lot.
A cheap clock radio power transformer will work as an anode load to 8 Ohm speaker.
Closed Thread