UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2020, 2:46 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Revalidation of Amateur Radio Licence.

Hi all, I recently visited the Ofcom website to re-validate my Amateur Radio licence and couldn't find the option to do this. All my details were listed correctly but no "box" to click on for re-validation. The last time I did this was in 2015 which is noted on the site but I was just wondering if the requirement has been scrapped. I seem to remember that you had to re-validate every so many years but can't recall what the time limit was. Anyone else had dealings with Ofcom recently over this?
Alan.
Old 31st Mar 2020, 2:54 pm   #2
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Default Re: Revalidation of radio licence.

Hello Alan did mine a month ago and requested acknowledgement which I got after 3 days or so.
Old 31st Mar 2020, 4:17 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Only first class service in my dealings with Ofcom re amateur licence.
Old 31st Mar 2020, 4:25 pm   #4
Sparky67
Heptode

Just done mine with 3 months to spare Alan. The licence is for life but your details do need confirming as correct or updating every 5 years. The Ofcom site links out to https://ofcom.force.com/licensingcomlogin where that can be done. Although I had to do a very minor change to my personal details and reload the page to get the ‘last update’ date to change...
Martin
G4NCE
Old 31st Mar 2020, 4:50 pm   #5
beamcurrent
Heptode

I have this problem too, a nagging doubt that I should renew but no button for it on the Ofcomm site? tried a couple of time now.

Brian

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 1st Apr 2020, 8:29 am   #6
lesmw0sec
Octode

The abillity to navigate the OFCOM site and its regular modifications is actually an IQ test to ensure that amateurs still have the mental capactiy to remain licenced!
Old 1st Apr 2020, 9:24 am   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I've just done it myself, it certainly is not obvious. You have to go into 'update personal details' as though you were going to notify them of a change of address, and at the bottom of the form there is an 'update' button. Updating your details (even if you do not change them) resets the timer on the licence.

To be doubly sure, I 'edited' the first line of my address by removing and then immediately reinstating several characters so that the form would think there had been changes made, otherwise it might not bother to 'update'.

I agree this is a ridiculous way to have to do it, a simple 'Validate' button on the main amateur licence dashboard screen is all that should be required.
Old 1st Apr 2020, 11:26 am   #8
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Just amended my details with another phone number. Nowhere does it state the last date of updating.
Makes me wonder if they would ever notice if you operated after the 5 years validation as the online form gives me no confidence as being fit for purpose.
Rob
Old 1st Apr 2020, 11:34 am   #9
Station X

That's strange because I just visited the site and it said that I last updated my licences in 2017.

EDIT. I revalidated and here's the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OFCOM.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	201976  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Apr 2020, 11:36 am   #10
mervyn
Hexode

i just phoned number yesterday, they did it there and then
got straight through no waiting
Old 1st Apr 2020, 11:45 am   #11
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

Smile Re: Revalidation of radio licence.

Just done mine. Basically the same system as SiriusHardware, except that I didn't bother changing any of my details, just clicked 'EDIT' without changing personal details and the page shows today's date as the 'last verified' date.
I have to agree, it would be a lot simpler if there was just a simple 'verify' button.
Mustn't grumble though, or they'll probably make it even harder next time (maybe making us do it in Morse Code )

Last edited by M0TGX Terry; 1st Apr 2020 at 11:46 am. Reason: correcting a typo.
Old 1st Apr 2020, 12:03 pm   #12
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the replies. I will re visit the site later on and try a couple of the suggestions. It just didn't seem very straightforward to do. My last password details had also been "lost" by their system although when I tried to re-register it said that there was already someone on their system with my e-mail address, so it was just my password which was out of date. As usual a predicted five minute job turned into half an hour of faffing about!
Alan.
Old 1st Apr 2020, 12:06 pm   #13
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Yes, checked mine just now and it clearly says updated today just below personal details. I do not recall seeing that before, as it is quite obviously placed. This morning I was looking everywhere for confirmation of previous re-validation without success.
However, I (thought I) did update at Xmas and that date wasn't shown when I logged in earlier today when I checked after seeing this thread. So couldn't have ever re-validated over the years. Back then I had forgotten my password, so they sent a new one to log in. That is obviously what I used today. So, looks like I had wrongly assumed it had been re-validated by just logging in without changing anything.
In future, I will add a comma or something as a change.
Not the best of sites as others have said.
Rob
Old 1st Apr 2020, 12:16 pm   #14

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Amateur bands (or any other) are not monitored at all by OFCOM, they leave it to us amateurs. If nobody misbehaves all is good. The same applies to interference, tell them (OFCOM) and they soon react (I have used their services in the past with good results).

I do think that if us amateurs don't re-apply the bands may be appropriated.

Old 1st Apr 2020, 3:44 pm   #15
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Just checked my details again and it said they had been updated yesterday when I originally logged in. Wouldn't surprise me if the Amateur licence comes way down on the list of important tasks they have to do (such as broadband and broadcasting etc). I do wonder if they would send you a reminder if you forgot to re validate your details. Probably not. Anyway, problem appears to be resolved. Thanks for the input.
Alan.
Old 1st Apr 2020, 5:59 pm   #16
wireless_john
Heptode

After reading this thread, I went to look at mine. It told me that I had last re-validated in 2018, although I can't remember doing it!

John
Old 1st Apr 2020, 6:17 pm   #17
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Senior moment !
Old 1st Apr 2020, 6:59 pm   #18
RF Burn
Hexode

Bureaucrats!

Last edited by RF Burn; 1st Apr 2020 at 7:08 pm.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 9:49 am   #19
GMB
Dekatron

I continue to have a problem with this.

On the OFCOM site under "Live licences" it shows mine as "live" (that's good) and an issue date of 2015 - that's when I last managed to revalidate it, when it must have been easier to do.

But I cannot see how to revalidate again.
Oh, and I did find the hidden buttons that only appear when you hover the mouse over where they live (urgh)!

I have tried the above suggestion of a gratuitous address change and also, using the hidden buttons, updating the license itself. It is still saying 2015. It doesn't say when I need to revalidate it.

(A possible difference from others, mine is a modern-created old license, i.e. I had to pay them to accept my old paperwork and give me a modern callsign as I never got one at the time I qualified. Online access came after doing that).

Any further clues?
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 10:03 am   #20
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I had to revalidate mine a few weeks back: the email-address I'd originally used to register with OFCOM was no longer accessible to me since I sold my business - very nearly 5 years ago.

I set up a 'new' account via the OFCOM website, associated with my new email address, but couldn't see how to associate this/merge it with my legacy no-longer-accessible account/email-address.

A quick email interchange with Kyle at OFCOM got my details ported to my new email-address.

PDFs of my licence, my notice-of-variation, and confirmation that I was legal for the next five years arrived in my inbox within an hour. That's the sort of service I like!

Contact email-address is on their website at https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your...ation-licences
Closed Thread