UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2023, 3:48 pm   #61
Karl T 01
Triode

Default Re: Grundig TK 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
I think it was this Thread (although cannot now see which Post) that had a reference to label saying "do not re-oil the motor bearings".

I don't think I have seen similar label before on the Grundigs (or at least not noticed) but today saw such a label on the TK 19L PCB screening cover.

David
Would "motor bearings" be somewhere within the electric motor? I applied a small amount of grease to the base of the shaft when reinstalling it to the motor.
No improvement after changing the third belt. I'm going to take the motor off again and have another look at the drive shaft and armature to see is there something I might have missed.
Old 23rd Jul 2023, 4:48 pm   #62
frsimen
Heptode

The motor bearings on these are sleeve bearings, possibly of the sintered type which, in theory at least, don't need lubrication. The TK141 is around 50 years old and lubricants do tend to dry up with time, so some lubrication is often needed now.

Grease is appropriate for the lower bearing of the capstan, but the motor and the top bearing of the capstan (via the felt pad) would benefit more from light oil.

Paula
Old 2nd Aug 2023, 12:36 am   #63
Karl T 01
Triode

Got the machine back running. I took the motor off again and filed the top edge of the armature that looked a bit rough. Reversed the bolts on the motor mount, (I'd looked at a NOS one on Ebay and that's how the bolts were on that motor) and put some electrical tape around the square the rubber mount is in. Reassembled the pulley assembly with two new circlips. All functions working so far. Thanks to all of you for your help and a Particular thanks to David and Paula for continuing to provide helpful suggestions and staying with me on this. It's my first go at a Reel to Reel fix and I'm really happy to hear it playing again.

https://youtube.com/shorts/qK7km6NwSyo?feature=shared
Short vid of the machine back at work.
Old 2nd Aug 2023, 8:06 am   #64
DMcMahon
Dekatron

That is very good news, well done.

David
Old 2nd Aug 2023, 9:36 am   #65
ben
Dekatron

Great, another one saved!
Old 2nd Aug 2023, 4:38 pm   #66
frsimen
Heptode

Well done, persistence always pays off in the end!

Paula
Closed Thread