UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 27th May 2024, 4:27 pm   #1
Chorinite
Tetrode

Default Sony ICF-SW7600 - help needed

See attached photos of volume control from both sides.
To me it looks like both bands have broken on both sides and need to be soldered back together. However, am a bit unsure because they no longer line up with the component itself, which appears to be sitting in its correct position.
Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	volume1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	298114   Click image for larger version

Name:	volume2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	298115  
Chorinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2024, 4:33 pm   #2
agardiner
Octode

Default Re: Sony ICF-SW7600 - help needed

Can you be a bit clearer on what you are asking? The control looks OK to me. What is the actual fault with the set?
agardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2024, 4:44 pm   #3
Chorinite
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by agardiner View Post
Can you be a bit clearer on what you are asking? The control looks OK to me. What is the actual fault with the set?
When you look closely at the images you see a metal band on each side of the potentiometer, one coming up from the board and one down from the potentiometer. At first glance it looks like these are broken, though it is perhaps simply my old eyes that can't differentiate whether they are broken or the lower one is meant to anchor the component on the board.
So my question is: is the metal band broken or as it should be? The poti itself is a bit wobbly.
Thanks for your assistance.
Old 27th May 2024, 5:00 pm   #4
agardiner
Octode

I don't think they are used in this set. There are a total of 5 anchor points; the 3 for the pot and the 2 outer ones. If the pot is loose, then I would re-flow it; probably just broken joints?
Old 27th May 2024, 5:04 pm   #5
Chorinite
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by agardiner View Post
I don't think they are used in this set. There are a total of 5 anchor points; the 3 for the pot and the 2 outer ones. If the pot is loose, then I would re-flow it; probably just broken joints?
Thanks, will have a look. Even with a magnifying glass I can't really make out what is what here.
Old 27th May 2024, 5:16 pm   #6
ronbryan
Octode

I don't know if these photos will be any help. The pot RV1 is in a corner of the pcb, so there is not a good side view.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01472.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	298119   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01473.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	298120  
ronbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2024, 5:40 pm   #7
Chorinite
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbryan View Post
I don't know if these photos will be any help. The pot RV1 is in a corner of the pcb, so there is not a good side view.

Ron
Hi Ron, thanks for the pics. Interesting to see that in your image showing the bottom of the board the middle soldering point of five also appears to be defective? I can imagine that this occurs after years of putting pressure on the volume control wheel. BTW, do you know if there is a washer between the poti and the volume wheel? When I tried to put it back on I could not tighten it properly.
Biggest challenge now is to see if I can get the whole thing all back together.
Old 27th May 2024, 5:49 pm   #8
ronbryan
Octode

It may be that I desoldered it during fault-finding, I just can't remember as it was 12 years ago. The same poor recollection applies to the washer question you posed.

Ron
ronbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2024, 6:00 pm   #9
Chorinite
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbryan View Post
It may be that I desoldered it during fault-finding, I just can't remember as it was 12 years ago. The same poor recollection applies to the washer question you posed.

Ron
I can't remember what I had for breakfast, let alone whether or not there were washers 12 years ago .
That same soldering point was defective on mine, which I have since fixed. When - rather if - I get the thing put back together will see if that helps.
The initial problem was that the radio turns on, time, frequencies etc. can be set, but there was no sound other than the odd crackle.
Old 27th May 2024, 6:10 pm   #10
Chorinite
Tetrode

Any tips for getting that flat ribbon cable back into place, looks to be a nightmare. Am thinking tweezers?
What sayest thou?

Please disregard, just figured it out - take the speaker out and do it from that side, duh...

Last edited by Chorinite; 27th May 2024 at 6:15 pm.
Old 27th May 2024, 6:48 pm   #11
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

I had one of these on the bench with a fault of fading output level. After going many times round the block, I discovered that the volume pot was fed by a track which went from the top to the underside of the board, and the connecting via had corroded through battery leakage.
Ted Kendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2024, 7:31 pm   #12
Chorinite
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
I had one of these on the bench with a fault of fading output level. After going many times round the block, I discovered that the volume pot was fed by a track which went from the top to the underside of the board, and the connecting via had corroded through battery leakage.
Thanks, got it back together enough to ascertain that it definitely has a serious audio problem. What I thought was the volume poti is actually the fine-tuning knob. Volume is regulated via a slider.
Current status: turns on, frequency can be entered, scan works etc. but only a tiny bit of crackling from the speaker. With an antenna connected it does not appear to find stations that I know it could find were the tuner working properly.
There does not seem to be any corrosion to speak of.
Time for supper and some sleep, will continue to traverse this vale of tears on the morrow.
Old 27th May 2024, 7:33 pm   #13
agardiner
Octode

When tuned to a known station, does it indicate signal?

If not then the invertor is suspect which produces the 14V tuning voltage.

If there is signal, then the next step is to try and inject an audio signal at the volume pot.
Old 27th May 2024, 7:37 pm   #14
Chorinite
Tetrode

[QUOTE=agardiner;1640432]When tuned to a known station, does it indicate signal?

If not then the invertor is suspect which produces the 14V tuning voltage.

If there is signal, then the next step is to try and inject an audio signal at the volume pot.[/QUOTE

No, the light does not indicate a signal. Will gather more information and provide it tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.
Old 27th May 2024, 7:38 pm   #15
agardiner
Octode

I am thinking that your set will need to be recapped. Very common on these.
Old 28th May 2024, 6:39 am   #16
Chorinite
Tetrode

By chance just discovered that the polarity is reversed on this model when compared to most of its predecessors and immediate successor shown here (ICF-7600G).
Am wondering if this was maybe the cause of the radio's demise in the first place?
I too have been using the customary Sony power supply until I realized it was not the correct one.
The picture shows the 7600G on top of my defective SW7600.
I have several original Sony AC adapters, none of them with + in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sony jacks.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	298142  

Last edited by Chorinite; 28th May 2024 at 6:48 am.
Old 28th May 2024, 7:34 am   #17
Chorinite
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorinite View Post
By chance just discovered that the polarity is reversed on this model when compared to most of its predecessors and immediate successor shown here (ICF-7600G).
Am wondering if this was maybe the cause of the radio's demise in the first place?
I too have been using the customary Sony power supply until I realized it was not the correct one.
The picture shows the 7600G on top of my defective SW7600.
I have several original Sony AC adapters, none of them with + in the middle.
Sorry. Made an obvious mistake in this post. It's the other way round, it is the 7600G that has reverse polarity, not the SW7600, i.e. not relevant for the problem at hand.
Old 28th May 2024, 10:06 am   #18
Chorinite
Tetrode

Have pretty much decided to abandon this project before I mutilate the radio altogether. Given my lack of knowledge about this specific model and limited soldering skills it would not be worth the time, expense and research required in order to get this radio back in shape. I already have an ICF-SW7600G that works very well and whose control button configuration I actually prefer.
Will attempt to sell it for parts.

I very much appreciate the kind assistance you have all afforded me.
Many thanks.