UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 25th May 2024, 11:36 am   #1
Chorinite
Tetrode

Default Sony ICF-2001d power supply bungle

Hello, am new to the forum, hopefully have chosen the proper subgroup for my question.

Bought a ICF-2001d mainly to use for replacement parts. Upon arrival I inserted batteries and to my surprise not only worked but was in mint physical condition as well.
It was supplied with an original Sony power supply, which I connected briefly then turned the radio off. A few hours later there was absolutely no response. I checked to power supply and to my horror - it was a fixed 6v instead of the appropriate 4.5v, so suspect that I have fried an otherwise perfect radio.
Any ideas on what I can do? Have I irreparably damaged it?
Am by no means an expert but can identify components and am able to solder.
Thanks in advance for any light you might be able to shed on this matter.
Have learned my lesson, unfortunately the hard way...
Jon
Chorinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 12:36 pm   #2
Chrispy57
Heptode

Default Re: Sony ICF-2001d power supply bungle

Hi Jon - what a sad tale of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! I'd be rather surprised if an extra 1.5V would do any great harm, but I suspect that the polarity may have been the culprit. Looking at a photo of that model on-line, I noticed that the correct polarity would be negative inner and positive outer barrel. The majority of external PSUs are just the opposite, perhaps you could verify this with the actual PSU that you tried?

Cheers
Chris
Chrispy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 1:09 pm   #3
Boulevardier
Octode

Hi Jon, and welcome to the forum.

Presumably, you have tried unplugging the rogue power supply and seeing if it will still work on batteries?

It's very easy for the manufacturer to protect against incorrect polarity power supplies - just an extra diode (the size of a small pea and adding virtually nothing in terms of production-line costs). So, you may be lucky.

Mike

Last edited by Boulevardier; 25th May 2024 at 1:17 pm.
Boulevardier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 1:09 pm   #4
Julesomega
Nonode

Does it now not work on the batteries?
I hope it is not irretrievable.

It's good here
Julesomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 3:17 pm   #5
agardiner
Octode

Welcome to the forum. As others have said; can you confirm the polarity of the adapter please? Did the set work on the adapter? If so, did you leave it running at all?

So - if the adapter is the correct polarity, then you have probably overheated IC9, the 3V regulator that supplies the microcontroller.

If the adapter is the wrong polarity, then 2 possible issues....

1) You may have got lucky and in fact just have a failed power socket on the radio. These have a built in switch to disconnect the battery, but with age this can become fatigued and tarnished. It is fairly common that after plugging in an adapter, the switch no longer makes contact resulting in the set not working on batteries.
2) If you are not so lucky, then the components to check/replace will be IC9, and transistors Q40, Q41 & Q42. Although these sets don't have reverse polarity protection, I have found that replacing these parts will correct such damage around 90% of the time.

Good luck!
agardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 4:02 pm   #6
Chorinite
Tetrode

Thank you for all the thoughtful comments. Will get back to you as soon as I have the time to take a more in-depth look at the problem.
Hopefully I will have more to go on in my next post.
Old 26th May 2024, 8:20 am   #7
Chorinite
Tetrode

A lucky old sod am I...
Took off the back, checked for any visible defects. Lifted and checked the small circuit board holding the power supply jack, carefully put it back in place, cleaned the same contacts I had already cleaned through the battery compartment, arranged a few wires out of the way, inserted the two computer batteries, and voila - it worked fine.
Still have no idea what I did but whatever it was it surely was not intentional. As my wife likes to say I often have "more luck than good sense"...
Other than a bit of rust on the battery contacts the set shows absolutely no signs of wear and the antenna is in perfect condition. Only thing missing is the original Sony strap, which I could buy on Ebay, but probably won't because it really isn't very handy unless the radio needs to be carried outdoors.
Could sell it and make a pretty penny on my 38€ 'risk' investment, but unless it craps out on me beforehand they'll have to pry this one out of my cold, dead hands.
One odd behavior: when the Main Power switch is off and the power switch is turned on "Error 3" appears on the display. I would have thought that with the main power turned off there would be no reaction. It does not seem to have any effect per se. Is this normal? Would prefer not to make any physical change to the radio as long as it works fine.
Thanks again for your help, I very much appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	298037  
Old 26th May 2024, 11:20 am   #8
Chorinite
Tetrode

PS: The only downside of the Error3 defect I can think of is that perhaps the batteries might drain quicker if the problem us not addressed?
The error occurs both during battery operation and with a power supply.
Old 27th May 2024, 1:36 pm   #9
Chrispy57
Heptode

Hi - well done for getting things back on track so far - Lady Luck was smiling on you there! The error 3 issue seems to be related to the quality of contact between the battery holder and the pcb, as this linked video explains a wired link may resolve the issue for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut8kGeId3tE

Cheers
Chris
Chrispy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2024, 2:00 pm   #10
Chorinite
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy57 View Post
Hi - well done for getting things back on track so far - Lady Luck was smiling on you there! The error 3 issue seems to be related to the quality of contact between the battery holder and the pcb, as this linked video explains a wired link may resolve the issue for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut8kGeId3tE

Cheers
Chris
Thanks Chris, will give your link a gander.
Old 27th May 2024, 2:56 pm   #11
agardiner
Octode

Yes, very common error that due to poor battery contacts.
Old 27th May 2024, 3:00 pm   #12
Chorinite
Tetrode

While this radio is one of the best of its kind there are a few things I would have done differently to improve ease of operation:
- am not a big fan of "slide bars"- if that is indeed what they are called - that were used in this generation of radios for volume and other controls. Prefer old fashion knobs and thankfully the tuning knob is perfect.
- the small, recessed Main Power switch requires a bit of fiddling to find and push, better had it jutted out a bit
- radio lacks a proper, sturdy handle making it something of a chore to carry
- uses only three D cells, i.e. drains relatively quickly
- the color scheme of the control panel is difficult to decipher, particularly the blue lettering against a black background, though my relatively advanced age may be the main culprit in this regard.

But of course all this is very much outweighed by its excellent performance, indeed a witness to the quality of engineering that went into these products and that is at times sadly lacking in too many of today's electronic devices.
Otherwise, have mostly old Grundigs, Nordmende, Telefunken, Zenith, Sony starting with the ICF-7600, Siemens, and a smattering of others.
Recently bought a Grundig Satellit 6001 that weighs a whopping 7 kg with batteries. A remarkable radio with excellent tone quality that was one of the best of its kind when released in 1969. Now only need to replace the belt connecting the drum tuner to the "Tuner K2-9" display and it will be in mint condition. It listed for 700 DM at the time. The average income back then was 1000 DM, so equivalent to nearly one month's salary after deductions.
Old 27th May 2024, 3:23 pm   #13
agardiner
Octode

I wouldn't bother with the small recessed power switch. I don't know why Sony bothered with it on this model; it is only really useful for travel purposes to prevent accidental switch on, but is more relevant to the 7600 series which had push buttons for the on/off.

As for the batteries; for today's use, you can easily pick up some battery adapters, which allow you to use an AA cell in place of a D. That way you can easily use rechargeable batteries.
Old 27th May 2024, 4:37 pm   #14
Chorinite
Tetrode

@ agardiner
Thanks for your input. Wasn't contemplating changing the Main Switch in any way, rather just a comment about a few irkful things, however innocuous they may be...
As for the batteries: I do have an original Sony 4.5V adapter so am not overly worried about drainage. I suspect that having a main power switch is beneficial in terms of reducing unnecessary drainage while in standby mode.
The user guide recommends removing batteries when the power supply is connected.