UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 23rd May 2024, 12:45 pm   #1
gridrunner
Pentode

Default Slight corner distortion, Wells Gardner monitor

Hi everyone,

I've been repairing and tidying up a Midway Space Invaders cocktail/tabletop machine and apart from addressing some sound faults on the game board, I changed out the electrolytic capacitors on the 19 inch Wells Gardner monitor.
The monitor and machine have had quite a life, but the screen does work OK, save a small defect in the bottom right corner. As you can see (just about) the horizontal line drawn below the bases is bent slightly. Does anyone know what could be causing this? The picture generally is OK in regularity, there's no corner to corner tearing. Could it be the yoke or does it need a de-gauss. I'm not inclined to mess with it too much as it's not that noticeable but I'm not sure how to proceed.

Any insight would be appreciated.

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bentsi.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	297913  
gridrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2024, 12:57 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Slight corner distortion, Wells Gardner monitor

a degaussing wouldn't hurt I suppose, these crts often had little corner correction magnets attached to spigots around the yoke former which had to be twisted to get rid of slight corner distortion. Your fault looks very slight and I wouldn't try adjusting the magnets unless you have a crosshatch generator. The magnets sometimes fell off as they were a push fit and then held with a dab of glue (I'm not talking specifically about the wells-gardner but mono small size crts in general).
Old 24th May 2024, 10:11 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Another vote from me to look for those correction magnets around the scan yoke.
Graham G3ZVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 7:44 pm   #4
gridrunner
Pentode

Hi both,

thanks very much for the advice. I'll have a look but I won't disturb anything. I'll take some pictures of the yoke. It's a minor issue so I'd be disinclined to mess with things, but it's always interesting to know root causes.
gridrunner is offline   Reply With Quote