UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 22nd May 2024, 8:26 pm   #1
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default B/White Sets In Use Still etc.

Not quite sure where to post , so apologies if wrong.

Is there anyone in the UK using a black/ white set and licence still? Group member or other.

Also, what year was it when you could still buy the sets?

This is for research purposes.

Many Thanks

PS Even more interested if in Scotland as still 190 licences I understand.
Old 22nd May 2024, 8:34 pm   #2
The KB Kid
Triode

Location: Dundee, Scotland, UK. Also work on contracts throughout the UK.
Default Re: B/White Sets In Use Still etc.

Hello,
I have a 1961 KB Imperial Deluxe 19" B&W set in my front room (Dundee). This is my "main" set and was very kindly brought back from the dead by fellow members Mr Norman Raeburn and Mr Trevor Goodenough who have done some great work for me over the years. I don't watch a great deal of TV as tend to default to YouTube videos (predominately of motorbikes!) The set itself gives a good picture - well I'm happy enough with it although things may change!
The KB Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2024, 12:05 am   #3
Maarten
Dekatron

Philips manufactured large screen B/W sets up until the mid 1980's, eastern European manufacturers up until the early 1990's. (very) small screen sets would have been available for some more years.
Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2024, 12:43 am   #4
Wellertcp
Tetrode

According to www.tvlicensing.co.uk:

Quote:
As at 31 March 2023, 4,000* black and white (mono) TV Licences were in force.
*Figures have been rounded to the nearest hundred.
Many people, especially the elderly, still had B&W tv sets well into the 1980s. My Grandparents didn't get a colour set until 1979 (rented from DER)

For the 1981 Royal Wedding (Charles and Di, ofcourse) many elderly neighbours came round to our house to watch, as they only had B&W sets.

Colour sets were very expensive then; it makes me laugh when modern-day 'timewarp' tv dramas (Life on Mars, etc) show everyone watching a brand-new colour set.
Wellertcp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2024, 8:19 am   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thank you all, keep it coming if there are more.
Old 23rd May 2024, 8:44 am   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The last mono telly I had was in my student days, one of the combination TV/radio/cassette player things made by National / Panasonic. Small screen, only about six inches. And could run off batteries.

I once took it up Snowdon and watched Irish TV on it.

It got lost in one of my many house moves in the early eighties and I have not had a mono TV since.
Old 23rd May 2024, 8:54 am   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Some people have and maintain B/W sets in working order but not for the purpose of watching TV, rather as displays for other equipment from the same era such as early home computers (ZX80, ZX81) and early game consoles (Videomaster, Binatone, etc).

A lot of these devices generate what would now be considered non-compliant video signals which confuse modern TVs, especially some flatscreens - usually the best (and to be honest the most satisfying) solution is to use the sort of TV they were originally designed for.

I have a little Sanyo 12" B&W portable which I keep in working order for just this purpose.
SiriusHardware is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2024, 8:59 am   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I still have one or two customers who stick to a black and white set as their only TV.

Last year one did wonder what on earth he wuld do when his Philips set (probably mid-eighties) gives up. I think it's a 20" though it's a very long time since I've seen it.

There are a handful who have one as a retro second (third or fourth) set for a bit of nostalgia - I recently gave someone a Freeview box with RF for just such a purpose.

As Maarten says, the last (c. 1990) large screen mono TVs were made by Unitra from Eastern Europe, most if not all hybrids in chunky wooden cabinets with terrible tubes.
Those ubiquitous small 5" white portables stayed around for a while longer, though would hardly qualify as a main TV.
Old 23rd May 2024, 7:21 pm   #9
Maarten
Dekatron

Unitra of Poland wasn't the only manufacturer. RFT (GDR) and Tesla (CS) made all transistor B/W sets that were actually quite reliable. The Tesla tubes as used in both brands lasted well and were not too bad, but the phosphor was a bit grainy.

RFT sets were still in use as platform CCTV monitors in the Prague metro ca. 2002. They may have been thrown out after the 2003 (?) floods, not sure.
Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2024, 10:28 pm   #10
Richard_FM
Nonode

None of my family & friends had a black & white main set by the early 1980s, but a few with a second set was usually b&w until colour portables became cheap.

I heard of someone still using a dual standard set until the 405 line switch off.

The design had two presets for 405 lines & two for 625 lines, & they didn't want to keep retuning the presets!
Old 24th May 2024, 9:35 am   #11
simpsons
Octode

Looking at the sale of B&W sets on eBay etc, there is still a demand for both "collectors" dual standard and 405 only plus, surprisingly, small-screen mono sets. Some of them are very expensive.

I have a couple of A640 which give visitors a glimpse into how good 405 could be on a B&W film, no 4.5mHz pattern, I can demonstrate them against a delta 20"colour or better, but to buy a 4.5 inch portable to play games or watch Talking TV on such a small screen beats me.

The challenge in using B&W sets is not just the necessary digibox, but their service life. I'm waiting for the BBC Repair Shop to show how they would put back into working condition an A640 or similar needing the LOPTX rewinding!! I've got one. I might just give them a bell!!

Chris
simpsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2024, 11:20 am   #12
Sergeauckland
Pentode

I have a small 5" B&W TV in my workshop, connected to a DVD player I use as an audio source, just so I can see the menus when necessary.

It's branded 'Marksman' and also has an AM/FM radio built in. Battery or external 12v operated, so presumably was aimed at caravans, campers etc. rather than home users. Antenna and composite video inputs. Useful little box.

S.
Sergeauckland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2024, 11:57 am   #13
Simondm
Pentode

Back in 1986 or '87, I took a red one of these:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/images/r...tv_2764805.jpg
to Kathmandu for a friend who was working there. It had a coil-able wire aerial. I had a play with it on the plane over, and was pleasantly surprised to get good picture reception going over the Gulf area (I had a window seat). I don't remember the sound aspect (there was an earpiece, that I didn't use).

If I remember correctly, I think I came by the Casio because it was effectively useless in the UK: it had UHF but the sound subcarrier was wrong.

Nepal TV used European PAL, so the subcarrier was OK. My friend was delighted, as he spoke fluent Nepali...
Simondm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2024, 12:22 pm   #14
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

What I am hoping to find is folks who have no colour licence and just a useable b/white set
still, plus b/white licence in operation.

Very grateful for all your comments of course.

David
Old 24th May 2024, 12:42 pm   #15
kalee20
Dekatron

I'd like to downgrade from colour to B&W, I spend probably under a hour a month watching TV at home! ... trouble is, I can't get a modern B&W set!

Does anyone know offhand how to kill the colour in a Panasonic LCD screen set so that it would comply with requirements of a B&W license?
kalee20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2024, 3:30 pm   #16
Pfraser
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
I'd like to downgrade from colour to B&W, I spend probably under a hour a month watching TV at home! ... trouble is, I can't get a modern B&W set!

Does anyone know offhand how to kill the colour in a Panasonic LCD screen set so that it would comply with requirements of a B&W license?
A suggestion from Quora: access the picture settings via the remote control; set colour to 0. Sounds too easy!

Or use a set top box to feed the TV and arrange a deliberate video format misconfiguration.

To comply with the B&W licence requirements, you'd have to destroy the remote(s) used to make the adjustments.

It's an interesting question. Did removing the colour subcarrier oscillator crystal from a CRT set make it legally B&W?

If memory serves, possession of a colour VCR connected to a B&W set counted as a colour installation.
Pfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2024, 3:34 pm   #17
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

There was a time at Currys, we had to disable the RF or could have been colour decoder on vcr,s I think it was, so banks could watch training films.

Must keep on topic here, I feel the dreaded drift starting, I can be as guilty as the rest of us.

Do really want to find these B/white only still in use households.
Old 24th May 2024, 3:48 pm   #18
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

As I mentioned earlier, I know of one person who definitely uses a large-screen black and white set as their only TV.
Two others spring to mind, but I haven't seen them for a while so can't be sure it's still the case with them.

AFAIK disabling the decoder by removing/shorting the crystal and placing a security tape over the back of the TV was deemed enough by Licencing to make a colour TV into a black and white one back in the day.
However, not so easy with an LCD set!
Old 24th May 2024, 7:29 pm   #19
gallowfields
Hexode

i remember disabling a couple of colour tv,s for customers by just removing the crystal . strange they used to say could,nt bear to see things in colour but managed o/k in day to day life . they never had a problem with tv licensing ,used to leave them a bill head with work done in case they needed it .
brian
gallowfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2024, 7:55 pm   #20
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
There was a time at Currys, we had to disable the RF or could have been colour decoder on vcr,s I think it was, so banks could watch training films.
I did a lot of such mods in and around Manchester whilst at Granada. The Burton Group comes to mind, for their shop-floor promotion displays.

I don't recall ever being asked to do a Colour Killer mod though!
Graham G3ZVT is online now   Reply With Quote