UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 22nd May 2024, 1:24 pm   #1
Sparks
Heptode

Default DIN socket on old cassette recorders

Did these sockets have any particular purpose ? Did anyone ever connect anything to one ?
I recall they were usually 5-pin. I assume they were what we would now call line-in and line-out sockets and now in 3.5mm form.

Thankyou.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2024, 1:45 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: DIN socket on old cassette recorders

Pin 2 earth; pins 1,4 input; pins 3,5 output. This is in the opposite sense to amplifiers/receivers to allow recording and playback with a pin-to-pin DIN cable. Philips used other flavours of DIN for headphones, if memory serves.
Ted Kendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2024, 1:47 pm   #3
Bob_Moss
Pentode

Back in the '70s I used to record off the radio (Ferguson3127) onto my cassette recorder using the DIN connectors, and play back from the cassette through the radio because the speaker was better. I used it all the time - still have the lead somewhere.
Old 22nd May 2024, 1:54 pm   #4
Sparks
Heptode

Thankyou Ted and Bob.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2024, 2:01 pm   #5
llama
Octode

My 3301 came with a cable to go in the 5-pin DIN socket. I think it had an inline resistor to produce a form of current drive to suit the DIN standard. Supplied with bare ends to suit whatever radio or amp it was to be connected to.
Graham
Old 22nd May 2024, 2:07 pm   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I made up a lead from my radio to Tape player DIN, in case I wanted to make a recording. Also used to connect to a computer to write a programme on tape.

John.
Old 22nd May 2024, 2:11 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Used to be the norm at one time, at least for UK and European items. 5 pin DIN for stereo, 3 pin DIN for mono. Yes Philips used a 'dice' configuration of DIN for headphones sometimes called a domino (think of a domino representation of 4) so the pins represented each corner of the square.
Old 22nd May 2024, 2:22 pm   #8
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quad used DIN sockets in the 33/303 era. They moved across to phono by the time they bought out the 34 and 44 preamps.

Quirkily NAIM used DIN on their preamps and power amps until fairly recently.

Craig
Old 22nd May 2024, 6:29 pm   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

As well as a 180° 5 pin DIN socket, the Philips EL 3300/1/2 recorders have a multi-function socket for a 240° 5 pin DIN plug that provides a Start/Stop function when used with the mike, a DC input for an external power supply, and an output for headphones. On my EL3302 the 240° socket is actually a 6 pin one, the central pin providing an undocumented direct connection to the record/playback head that I suppose might have been used for setting up during manufacture.

My Philips N2501 mains stereo cassette recorder deck has twin 5 pin DIN sockets for a pair of mikes, and a Domino socket for headphones, plus a 5 pin 180°DIN socket at the back for line in/out.

My EL3585 mono RTR battery recorder has a single 5 pin 180°socket for audio in/out, with pins 1&4 and 3&5 respectively linked internally. The audio in was for microphone-level signals, and the lead that came with it incorporated a series resistor for recording from a line output source or the loudspeaker socket of a radio.

Last edited by emeritus; 22nd May 2024 at 6:51 pm. Reason: typos
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2024, 6:59 pm   #10
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Uhers use them for everything. Pretty handy as you can get power and signal on various pins - the Miniline uses some for switching the DC supply relays in the power amplifier from the preamplifier switch. Also as Ted kendall says you could have record/playback on one connector, rather than two sets of RCA sockets so it reduces space required for connections, and without projecting parts it's easier to plug and unplug in a confined space.

They can be a pig to wire, though. Deltron do some quite swish metal examples, but on some the shell retention screw gets loose.

Here are some examples of intended interconnections. I like them myself so I've made various DIN adaptors to 1/4", RCA, 3.5mm TRS, 12V Hella etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vg840_24.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	297901   Click image for larger version

Name:	k629.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	297902   Click image for larger version

Name:	vg840_25.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	297903   Click image for larger version

Name:	vg840_27.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	297904  
Uncle Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2024, 7:41 pm   #11
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Pin 2 earth; pins 1,4 input; pins 3,5 output. This is in the opposite sense to amplifiers/receivers to allow recording and playback with a pin-to-pin DIN cable. Philips used other flavours of DIN for headphones, if memory serves.
Very confusingly, on some Philips gear pins 3 and 5 can act as both input and output. On the EL3302 they are outputs in play mode and line level inputs in record mode. Pins 1 and 4 are mic level low impedance inputs.
jamesperrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2024, 7:57 pm   #12
paulsherwin

On most simple cassette recorders the single DIN socket was just a mono line in/out. 5 pin DINs were used to support stereo equipment in a rudimentary fashion. The sockets would also work with a 3 pin mono plug.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote