UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 3rd May 2024, 6:09 pm   #1
diyhelp101
Diode

Question Door Buzzer - How does it work?

Hello. I hope someone on here can help me. I have a very loud door buzzer for a door bell. Its great and works just fine - very loud!. However the buzzer is on a diy wooden box and hangs in a place that makes its' rather ugly look all the more annoying!
My question is: does it need the box? maybe I can make this just the buzzer - hide the wires in wall and paint it wall coloured? OR Is this box an amplifier/resonator or some sort? or just to sit the wiring in? I don't want to reduce the volume as that is what makes is great.
Also would like to more generally understand how it works. Can I paint it and relocate it somewhere to be less ugly? I've recently been under the floor upstairs and seen the wire there so I could put it upstairs on the landing or airing cupboard/room.
Thank you for your thought in advance, hope you can help me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2420.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	297128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2421.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	297129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2423.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	297130  
diyhelp101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2024, 6:30 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: door buzzer - how does it work?

looks like a standard Friedland mini-buzzer (now Honeywell). The box is amplifying the sound and a convenient place to hide the bundle of wires behind. I would investigate a nice small white box eg a surface mount pattress and blanking plate, (looks like a light switch) and mount the buzzer on that. Likely a standard 8V AC supply from a transformer hidden elsewhere, I assume you know where that might be.
Old 3rd May 2024, 6:38 pm   #3
diyhelp101
Diode

thanks for responding. I have NO idea where the transformer might be! Do they fail often? would it be likely to be near the door or the buzzer? I was thinking of wiring to the upstairs above where I found the cable under the floor but don't want to cut off the transformer!!!!
Do you think a plastic pattress box will still amplify? I suppose I can try it and stick wooden one back up if its quieter. Thanks again!
diyhelp101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2024, 6:57 pm   #4
paulsherwin

I actually think the box looks rather handsome, but I appreciate it's not my house.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2024, 9:31 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

I am still using the bell transformer for our door bell that dad bought circa 1958 and which has been in almost continuous use in a number of different houses ever since!

A transformer could be located anywhere in series between the bell push and the bell or buzzer.

Last edited by emeritus; 3rd May 2024 at 9:36 pm. Reason: typos
emeritus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2024, 10:45 pm   #6
vidjoman
Dekatron

In my house the transformer is situated in the main fuse box, or should it be called a box of trip cut-outs. I've seen many similar fitted in that way. My son recently bought a new build house and his bell has mains fed to it from a low fused outlet and the bell has an encapsulated transformer fitted within it's case.
vidjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2024, 10:54 am   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

yes the transformer is usually put in the cupboard where the fusebox is, or if its a very modern rewire it might have the transformer actually inside the consumer unit.
Old 4th May 2024, 11:38 am   #8
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Door Buzzer - How does it work?

As others have said, the bell transformer is usually mounted near to the consumer unit, that way the transformer can be permanently earthed and wired in to the lighting circuit.
Bell transformers are special as they are double bobbin wound and have an earthed core to ensure safety.
Neil