UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Old 1st May 2024, 7:57 pm   #1
rrbmachining
Triode

Default Gmt 1000 6809 cpu

Im looking for any info on the GMT1000 STEbus processor board. I have just acquired one and could do with a manual to go with it. Google search brings up nothing
rrbmachining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2024, 9:11 pm   #2
Phil__G
Octode

Default Re: Gmt 1000 6809 cpu

Hi, VCF is usually a good place to start
https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php
Phil__G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2024, 2:28 am   #3
ortek_service
Octode

Yes, I wondered if you'd have a bit more luck with vcfed etc, as it seems it's the more-vintage home / hobbyists computers from the late 70's very early 80's that's mostly dealt with by those on this forum area.

And STEbus systems were probably more for Industrial users, so any of those of us who used these were most likely at work.
- So eevblog may also be a forum worth trying, as that seems to have quite a few professional Engineers on it / a larger number of members (including a few also on here) / it tends to deal more with larger equipment used by industrial users.

From recently reading some info on STEbus, it seems it was maybe a bit late into the market
(In 1987 it became an IEEE 1000 standard? - after GMT Electronic Systems first developed it?).
But single-board 'IBM PC Compatible' systems tended to be adopted a bit later, as a cheaper / more-familiar to programmers alternative
- Back in the early 90's at work, we certainly used PC ISA SBC's and Peripheral cards, plus a bit later also using PC/104 Stacking Peripheral modules, that I've got a few of. And carried on using ITX SBC's / Mini ITX PC's, if needing something a bit more complete than an RPI / Arduino / ARM-based etc modules.

From doing some Googling I was only able to find references to GMT Electronics Systems being in London, but I couldn't an exact address / if they still existed - Unfortunately searching for GMT and London doesn't seem to find much that is relevant to this!
- I had thought that at least I might find some old Electronics etc publications with adverts from the company that maybe gave some brief details.

It might be useful to see a photo of the board in question / maybe dump it's EPROM(s), if you are able to read these, to see what text strings etc are contained.
Although I presume GMT Electronic Systems was the original manufacture and they haven't just rebadged the board's design from another manufacturer / the firmware was done by another company?

Last edited by ortek_service; 3rd May 2024 at 2:38 am.
ortek_service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2024, 12:40 pm   #4
rrbmachining
Triode

GMT Electronic Systems were at Unit 7 Mole Business Park, Leatherhead, Surrey at one time
rrbmachining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2024, 2:33 pm   #5
ortek_service
Octode

Thanks for that address. I still couldn't find much including that in a web search, but I found the postcode of that place and when I Googled: "GMT Electronic Systems" KT22 7BA

I did find a link to this GMT System 1000 STEbus card 1021 Bytewide Memory/Clock document: https://cdn.hackaday.io/files/195841...4/GMT_1021.pdf
(I can't re-attach it here, as it is 7.5MB so exceeds file-size limit, unless I first Reduce file size with full-version of Acrobat - but not got that on PC I'm currently using)

the only other two hits were a 2013? book, titled "Components and Sub-Assemblies: The Guide to Manufacturers, Distributors and Agents" - Preview here (but not the 3 pages mentioning them!)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...%207BA&f=false

and: https://vdoc.pub/documents/internati...s-552rn7g59uj0
- Where it seems they may have been listed as being at KT22 7HN at some point.

You do have to use Google to find these, as Edge's default Bing doesn't find these - even using 'Deep' search. And I've generally found Google to find things much-better.
Old 4th May 2024, 3:32 am   #6
ortek_service
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortek_service View Post
>>
I did find a link to this GMT System 1000 STEbus card 1021 Bytewide Memory/Clock document: https://cdn.hackaday.io/files/195841...4/GMT_1021.pdf
(I can't re-attach it here, as it is 7.5MB so exceeds file-size limit, unless I first Reduce file size with full-version of Acrobat - but not got that on PC I'm currently using)
>>
>>
Well after OCR-ing this it came down to 5.5MB, so still a bit too-large but Zipping that brought-it under 4MB max file-size limit for those file types on here.

Using Acrobat's Reduce file size (with largest-reduction Acrobat 9+ only option chosen), brought the 5.5MB OCR'd one down to 1.1MB - but there may be some loss of resolution as well ?

Both versions attached, zipped-up to avoid any further compression, plus an unzipped copy of smallest pdf, for ease of opening.