UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 30th Apr 2024, 4:15 pm   #1
AllanRLevy
Diode

Default New User with a Uher 4000 Report Monitor

Hi there, I am a new user here, I have lusted after a Uher 4000 Report for many years and I decided to but myself one for my birthday, I have purchased a reasonable one, I have changed the belts and used spray cleaner on any moving electronic parts, I have a couple of questions and I would be grateful for the forums expertise please, the pause button does not operate as I would expect, I have attached a video, the pause button goes down cleanly but to release you have to lift it up, is this normal on this machine or do I have a fault.
Second question next to the main control keys is small slide switch the reads open and lock, I could not see this on the instruction book that I downloaded, I would be grateful for an explanation .

Thank You, Im sure I will have many more questions....
AllanRLevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2024, 5:17 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: New User with a Uher 4000 Report Monitor

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Question 1 - they all do that, sir! It's normal, but unusual if you're used to the click-click type of pause control.

Question 2 - you've got me on that one! I've never seen that switch. I assume this is an ordinary 4000 Report Monitor with the big meter and volume control knob side by side? Could it have been modified? The BBC were notorious for doing things to their machines...
Old 30th Apr 2024, 6:13 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

A photo showing the mystery slide switch would be interesting.

David
DMcMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2024, 8:07 pm   #4
AllanRLevy
Diode

Default New User with a Uher 4000 Report Monitor.

Hi there, thank you for your help

I don’t think it’s been modified there is a similar switch on the later 6000

The next question is power…. I don’t have an ac lead for this, I have seen mention of using a more modern sealed 6v lead acid motorbike battery, YUASA NP2.8-6, 6V 2.8AH does this work and can I wire up a bike battery charger to charge this in place
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4061.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	297030  
Old 30th Apr 2024, 9:02 pm   #5
Reelman
Octode

The “switch” is a feature of the latter Report Monitors. It is not electrical at all, it just allows the panel it is attached to to be removed. Easier to clean the heads!

Peter
Reelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2024, 9:36 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Well done Peter, I now remember that my 4000 Report Monitor also has it.

David
Old 30th Apr 2024, 10:48 pm   #7
AllanRLevy
Diode

Thank you, how do I remove that panel please
Old 1st May 2024, 9:10 am   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

You live and learn - neither of mine has it!

Regarding the power supply, that should work - the genuine Z124 gives out around 6.5v. However it's a bit of work, and 2.8 AH won't last too long.
IMHO a better solution is to buy five rechargeable D-cells - at least 4AH - and an appropriate charger. Amazon do 10AH cells - the challenge is to get five and not four!
Old 1st May 2024, 9:16 am   #9
williamsunique
Pentode

You want a 6 volt lead acid battery charger for that battery. Some older car battery chargers had a 12volt / 6 volt switch.
Amazon are bound to have something suitable.

Paul
williamsunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2024, 10:27 am   #10
TIMTAPE
Octode

The original "gel" lead acid batteries are fussy about charging. They're very intolerant of overcharging, and if left in a discharged state for even a short time the "gel" battery often cant be revived. I saw it so many times.

I'd ask myself how many times I'd need to use the machine on batteries for lack of mains available or for portability with no mains lead.

Why not consider acquiring a modern wall wart (switchmode) power supply with switchable DC output voltage? The regulated DC output voltage must be correct for the Report (7.5v?) the current sufficient, perhaps 1.5A, and of course the polarity correct. A DIN plug suitable for the Report can be soldered onto the output lead. This is not to act as a battery charger, just to power the machine.

I've not had a gel cell battery in my old Uher Report 4000 IC since the early 80's. In practice on the rare times I use the Report the external power supply does the job.

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 1st May 2024 at 10:37 am.
TIMTAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2024, 12:26 pm   #11
Reelman
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanRLevy View Post
Thank you, how do I remove that panel please
Set “switch” but lets call it a catch, to open and pull on it. It is usually quite a tight fit. I put my fingernail under the catch and pull.

Peter
Old 1st May 2024, 1:01 pm   #12
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I'd get a Z124 power supply for the fun of originality. Available new from SDS Consult. That's their PDF pricelist.

My CRs are used mainly on mains with the Z131 power supply (the Z124 equivalent for the CR series) in a hi-fi stack, but the delight of the Uhers is the ability to use batteries, mains, car outlet etc. I've made all the cables so have even used it via a cigar lighter on a yachting trip!
Uncle Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2024, 3:28 pm   #13
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I tried a used Youcel sealed lead/acid battery (compatible with the Uher Z 212 battery) but it did not charge properly or hold the charge very long. I need to revisit this to work out if the battery is at fault or not charging correctly.

David
Old 1st May 2024, 4:17 pm   #14
Reelman
Octode

May be worth putting a request for the power supply in the wanted section. Be sure the Report works before you spen too much on accessories as it can be expensive to repair.

Peter
Old 1st May 2024, 4:22 pm   #15
AllanRLevy
Diode

Thank you for the input, I’ll check out the 4000 on batteries and look for modern ac supply
Old 1st May 2024, 9:48 pm   #16
AllanRLevy
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
I tried a used Youcel sealed lead/acid battery (compatible with the Uher Z 212 battery) but it did not charge properly or hold the charge very long. I need to revisit this to work out if the battery is at fault or not charging correctly.

David
I have a new battery in order and I would want to know if I input on the 6 pin din could I charge in place
Old 2nd May 2024, 12:20 pm   #17
AllanRLevy
Diode

hi there all, I have now received the new 6v lead acid battery, the unit has powered up , I have a healthy fast forward, I have a healthy rewind, but the play is very slugish, if I give it a hand to start it goes, I have not tried actual recording yet, as I have said, I have replaced the belts, any guide as to getting this unto working condition please
Old 2nd May 2024, 3:43 pm   #18
DMcMahon
Dekatron

When it is struggling in Play mode what happens to the voltage level on the level meter when the battery test switch/key is pressed down, i.e. does the level go below the green segment ?

When the Uher Z212 lead/acid battery is charged, it is in-situ (in the battery compartment) and connected to the 6 pin accessory DIN the side of the 4000 by cable K713 that connects to the 5 pin DIN on the Uher Z124 A1 Power Supply adapter/charger. The 4000 User manual explains all this and shows the pin out of the various cables at the back of the manual.

Note that there is a warning note in the manual that using incorrect charger to charge the Z212 battery can result in damage to the battery.

David
Old 2nd May 2024, 5:20 pm   #19
AllanRLevy
Diode

Hi David, I dont have a UHER charger or AC supply, I have purchased a new lead acid 6v battery and I am removing it to charge, I will check what happens to the battery gauge later on this evening, BUT... the unit is needing a lot more love than my skills can give it, I have put a source in to the phone input and I can hear it quit weekly in the monitor speaker, but when I attempt to record, nothing is recorded, I have tried with a mic as well and still nothing, I am thinking that I need to look for help on here and I would want to know is there anybody that I can approach to have this repaired properly, my idea is that I want to connect a bluetooth adapter to the phono input so that I can record a few albums, I am aware that on my machine I will have quite low quality and mono, but thats ok, I want the experience, I will then out put to a mono Marshall bluetooth speaker that has aux input by cable, but first I need to find someone to help me get the old girl running right, thank you in advance for any ideas.
Old 2nd May 2024, 8:22 pm   #20
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Try posting a repair request here -

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145

David