UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 6th May 2024, 9:43 pm   #21
hans
Heptode

Default Re: Philips 1218 TXT Issues:

It seems to be a set similar to this:
http://obsoletetellyemuseum.blogspot...year-1982.html
hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2024, 9:54 pm   #22
Maarten
Dekatron

Ah yes, that one has an RC4 SONG tuning system, an early variant of the VST system without on screen display that was first introduced in the K12 chassis.

This teletext set might use a SONG and a separate RC5 board that controls both the SONG and the TXT board. I'm pretty sure the 26CS1228 worked like that. The 22" variant might have been the 22CS1218 since the way the type number was coded into a 12NC SKU prevented 2 models from having the same 4 digits in the type number.
Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2024, 9:57 pm   #23
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Maarten, I thought the whole point of using the the single chip decoder was for the purpose of teletext that wasn't so though, the earlier two chip decoder was capable of text operation too, although the single chip decoder arguably was easier to interface with its direct RGB interface pins
Old 6th May 2024, 10:14 pm   #24
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
It seems to be a set similar to this:
http://obsoletetellyemuseum.blogspot...year-1982.html
I am not best pleased with that particular website as they partially plagiarised some of my input RE Thomson sets/chassis not from here btw but Chris's vrat forum, now I don't mind per se but some acknowledgement would have been nice at least to that forum holder if not myself directly
Old 7th May 2024, 1:45 am   #25
Maarten
Dekatron

I once wrote to him it was good to see my hard work being used (typed up Philips model/chassis lists) and got some kind of reply that I think boiled down to that it was free to take since it was on the internet (I never claimed it wasn't, but it felt almost unneccessarily defensive and as you say acknowledgement would be nice!). Yet he claims a much more stringent copyright on his own site, which seems a bit hypocritical - but he seems a dedicated collector who contributes a lot by even turning his collection into probably the largest tv collection online so who am I to argue.
Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2024, 8:55 pm   #26
label321
Diode

I found a guy that take it with him to take a look at the set.

The screen is more bright snow than dark but it depends not always.

I hope he can repair that whats not working.

And it wil be in working oder soon.

I wil post a picture if its fixt.

I have 5 philips sets 4 working 5 hopefully in the future.

Thanks for the massages.

Regards.
label321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2024, 5:54 pm   #27
Red to black
Nonode

Thanks for the update Justin

How about you share what other Philips sets you have ?, you should be off moderation for your first few posts by now, posting should be a lot easier
Old 13th May 2024, 8:14 pm   #28
label321
Diode

Yes I will post some pics soon.

Thanks for the message.
label321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2024, 7:17 pm   #29
Pieter H
Tetrode

Two comments from my side.
1. As to the VST tuning, that was used across many chassis until around 2000. For all low and mid-range chassis it remained the standard, with PLL tuning the exception. The 3A chassis was the first high-end to be entirely PLL in 1987. This does not mean that sets for certain regions, like the UK, could not be entirely PLL. But also in the UK low end remained VST, the last one I have is the L6 from 1997. The K30 indeed only used the U322 PLL tuner for the UK, and almost exclusively VST for the continent (V315, V317) with a few V314 PLL.

2. The obsolete telly guy is a real !@##$#^#. He has stolen entire pages from my site on the Philips Tuner history without any reference. Writing him is useless, he does not respond. Although his list of sets is impressive as Maarten also says, his behaviour is disgraceful. Stealing data from everybody and then making his own pictures useless with this abundant anti-copy stuff. Fortunately he is the exception.

Cheers, Pieter
Pieter H is offline   Reply With Quote