UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 10th Apr 2024, 10:01 pm   #1
Paul_A_R
Tetrode

Default Batteries for Old Ever Ready Torch

I would like to make use of this Ever Ready torch which is in nice condition.

The bulb says 3.5v and the torch is about 1 1/8" across and 5" long.

I assume that this was designed for a now out of production duplex battery.

My guess is an Ever Ready 1839 which the Small Battery Company indicates was two C cells.

Unfortunately modern C cells do not fit. They can be loaded but will not get past the switch.

I stripped the metal casing from a dead C cell and it now fitted. I may resort to this technique with new batteries but wondered whether anyone knew of a supply of C Cells more closely matching original dimensions. I have seem a number of 'bare' cells in different sizes and I do have some sub C cells destined for an old Dremel but not C cells.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ever Ready Torch 1.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	296222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ever Ready Torch 2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	296223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ever Ready Torch 3.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	296224  
Paul_A_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2024, 10:26 pm   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Batteries for Old Ever Ready Torch

Could it be a Bijou No 8 battery? They were 21.8mmdia and 74.6mm long. Slightly smaller diameter as a C, and about 1.5 times the length of a C.

Craig
Old 10th Apr 2024, 10:39 pm   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

A No. 8 battery was a nominal 3.0V and a 2.5V bulb would have originally been fitted.
emeritus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2024, 10:43 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
A No. 8 battery was a nominal 3.0V and a 2.5V bulb would have originally been fitted.
Please have a look here... https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51741
Old 10th Apr 2024, 10:47 pm   #5
Paul_A_R
Tetrode

Hi, thanks for the suggestion.

I think the No. 8 is too narrow. The opening for the battery is more like 28mm in metric.

I did have a No. 8 which I cannibalised for its component U10 batteries which were used in those dinky handbag torches. I checked and they look very small against the torch.

The "Baby" Dry Battery 1839 was 1" (25mm) across.

Paul
Old 10th Apr 2024, 10:51 pm   #6
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Indeed. But two C cells in series, when new, produce around 3.2V, or even slightly more than that.

Craig
Old 10th Apr 2024, 10:52 pm   #7
Paul_A_R
Tetrode

Also thanks for reminding me of David's post about making a replacement No. 8. I actually made one of these a couple of years ago, I ran across part of it when I was searching for bits to try in the torch. Now I will also have to rummage for the torch it was made for.

But the No. 8 would be too narrow for the torch I am looking at at the moment.
Old 11th Apr 2024, 4:06 am   #8
Refugee
Dekatron

That torch is crying out for a 4 volt rechargeable such as an 18650.
They also hold there charge well in storage.
I actually found a soaking wet torch in the street with a dead 18650 in it.
After taking it apart and cleaning the circuit board it worked again as did the built in USB charger.
18650s are a little bit smaller than two C cells so you will need a spacer.
Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2024, 7:21 am   #9
Jolly 7
Octode

If Paul wants to convert his torch for use with a lithium battery, he will also need to change the bulb, preferably to an LED 5 volt one. The 3.5v filament bulb won't probably last very long as the full voltage of a 18650 battery is around 4.2 volts. The DIY spacer would need to be around 35 mm long and for safety it is best to have a fuse fitted too, maybe inside the spacer itself.
Jolly 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2024, 3:28 pm   #10
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Quote:
Indeed. But two C cells in series, when new, produce around 3.2V, or even slightly more than that.

Craig
Not under a 300mA load they don't! And a No 8 battery, with its two cells each a bit smaller than a C size, would sag under load a bit more.
kalee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2024, 11:19 pm   #11
Paul_A_R
Tetrode

Thanks for the further comments.

I think that I will need to build something from smaller batteries. I don't think I will use Lithium batteries. My first port of call is likely to be two traditional AA which should be about the right length.

I have not found any artwork for the 1839 though I have found a colour advert of its larger brother the 1829. I expect the 1839 will look similar with the different code and a different price. The 1829 was retailing at 7d. at the time.

If anyone has a catalogue that mentions the 1839 price, preferably that also mentions the 1829 price at 7d that would be helpful.

https://www.antiquesboutique.com/upl...ic1_size4.webp

If anyone collects adverts they want £165 for it. Makes my collecting look less extravagant. Or at least that what I am sticking to.

Paul
Old 12th Apr 2024, 8:49 am   #12
kalee20
Dekatron

Wow!

I remember the U2 (D size), the 800 (cycle lamp battery, 3V), the 1289 (torch, 4.5V), the 126 (bell, 4.5V), the No 8 (torch, 3V and the subject of this thread).

But not the No 1, the 1829, or the 1689!
kalee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2024, 11:58 am   #13
emeritus
Dekatron

In the early 1950's Ever Ready did a double pen cell (AA) battery, two cells in a single cardboard tube, for the old pen-sized torches. I remember going into Boots with mum and her asking for two pen cell batteries for something where the batteries were side by side. They only had the double pen cell, but the assistant said it could be cut in half to give two single cells, and that was what mum did.
emeritus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2024, 12:56 pm   #14
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Regarding
https://www.antiquesboutique.com/upl...ic1_size4.webp
What's the difference between 1289 and 1689; I have never encountered the latter.
Graham G3ZVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2024, 4:26 pm   #15
Brigham
Octode

Is 1689 the Police Lamp battery?
Brigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2024, 7:06 pm   #16
Paul_A_R
Tetrode

The 1289 looks like the same battery as available now as a 3R12 4.5v used for cycle lamps.

The difference with the 1689, other than the price differential, seems to be the different terminals.

There may be internal differences but I have not found any other references to the 1869 other than another advert, this time from Ever Ready made in India which has a drawing of one, this time sporting an orange/red jacket alongside blue jacketed U2, U11 and No.8 and also a No. 1000. Interestingly that 1689 has the same terminal configuration as the 1289.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ever Ready India Battery advert.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	296295  
Old 12th Apr 2024, 7:15 pm   #17
Paul_A_R
Tetrode

I think the Police Lamp said Police on it and was styled 295. Again a 4.5v flat battery the only obvious difference with the 295 was again the bends in the terminal. Battery makers at the time seemed to be more willing to provide lines with slight modifications to suit lamp design than is the case now.
Old 13th Apr 2024, 10:25 pm   #18
Paul_A_R
Tetrode

Regarding the question about the 3 cell flat batteries shown in the advertising photo (#11) I have found an old leaflet on my hard drive which I am sure originated on this forum. Unfortunately the resolution is not good and I do not think a higher resolution scan was posted.

From recollection the poster said it related to 1914 Ever Ready.

It lists seven 3 cell flat batteries, they vary in weight, dimensions and another column whose words I can not make out.

The names are clear enough though; Special(216?); Gnome (1849?); Flat (1818); Red Standard (1289?); Green Standard (1689); Special Standard (121); Police Lamp (295)

So I assume the advert referred to at #11 shows the Green Standard and the Red Standard (though now sporting corporate blue). Why the Green Standard was still Green at the same time is a mystery unlikely to be solved. The difference between the two appears to be in the column I can not decipher where the Red Standard has a 2 against it and the Green Standard has a 3.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ever Ready Dry Batteries poss 1914.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	296346  
Old 14th Apr 2024, 9:05 am   #19
stuarth
Heptode

IIRC, 3.5V bulbs were used in 3-cell torches (4.5V), 2.5V bulb in 2-cell torches, and 1.25V bulbs in single cell torches. The cells would have been zinc carbon which would sag under load. Alkaline batteries hold their voltage higher under load, so the torch would be brighter, but the bulb wouldn’t last as long. Again, IIRC, torch bulbs were only rated for 20 hours life anyway.

Your 3.5V bulb on 2 Alkaline cells may not be very bright, but if the brightness is good enough for your needs, the bulb should last longer. You pays your money and makes you choice.

AA cells are very slightly longer than C cells, (50.50mm max vs 50.00mm max), so AA cells in a rolled cardboard tube to build up the diameter should be fine in your torch.

Stuart
stuarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2024, 5:45 pm   #20
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_A_R View Post
I think the Police Lamp said Police on it and was styled 295. Again a 4.5v flat battery the only obvious difference with the 295 was again the bends in the terminal. Battery makers at the time seemed to be more willing to provide lines with slight modifications to suit lamp design than is the case now.
According to my 1952 Samuel Gratrix catalogue, the 295 Pocket Lamp (Police) battery was 3-1/16" x 1-1/16" x 3-7/16", and the 1289 Pocket Lmp (Standard) battery was 2-7/17" x 7/8" x 2-9/16". These are L-W-H dimensions and both batteries were 4.5V.
So it looks like the 295 was bigger all round and probably not just due to the terminals.
The 295 was more than twice the price, at 2/3 compared with 11d for the 1289.
m0cemdave is offline   Reply With Quote