UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 20th Dec 2023, 11:49 pm   #1
Laurence Smith
Tetrode

Default Ferguson 306T

I won this set at the recent Wootton Bassett BVWS Auction. The set seems nicely designed and has a pilot light that illuminates the channel selection number on the selector knob itself, which is situated on the right-hand side of the cabinet along with all the other controls. On taking a look at the chassis, it was clear that the set had already had a lot of restoration work done in the past, with the EHT rectifier and associated heater winding having been removed and an EHT tripler fitted instead. The LOPT itself appears to have been re-wound and all paper capacitors and the smaller electrolytics have been replaced with modern types.

After passing some DC through the LOPT for a few days as a precaution, I wound it up gradually on the variac last night over the course of a couple of hours as the main electrolytic is still the original dated November 1956. I had an audible line whistle at around 200v, and after adjusting the ion trap magnet and the linearity controls had a full raster. Applying a signal showed audio and vision were both getting through and I got a well proportioned picture. The picture size does vary with the brightness control (a lot more so vertically than horizontally) and at full brightness overfills the screen and goes a bit out of focus. The PL81 line output valve looks to have had a rather long life, but there is still plenty of width available.

I will give the set a general clean inside and out and check all previous work in terms of component values next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snip 1.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	289986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snip 2.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	289987   Click image for larger version

Name:	LOPT.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	289990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snip 3.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	289991  

BVWS Member
Laurence Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2023, 11:20 am   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Ferguson 306T

Looks a very nice telly! Good picture too.

Regards
Lloyd
Lloyd 1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2023, 11:49 am   #3
Colourstar
Octode

Excellent, that's two sets from the RWB auction up and running now!

Steve
Colourstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2023, 1:04 pm   #4
theredhouseinn
Hexode

Thanks for the reminder. I remember servicing these in the late 50's early 60's.
Those were the days when you could actually repair a set down to component level.
John.
theredhouseinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2023, 6:49 pm   #5
Vintage Engr
Heptode

I also repaired many of these, they always gave a good crisp picture.
I was working in Walthamstow at the time, and they were made not far away in Enfield.
Spares were easy to get then, just a short trip round to the North Circular road to Edmonton. I even remember the spares telephone number! EDM 3060..!

So if you need any parts, and have a time-machine!

David.
Vintage Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2023, 10:11 am   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I bet you don't remember the number of the auto spares 24 hr service. EDM 6332.....
The 306T. iconic Ferguson design with a very good reliability record. Many survived into the early colour era. John.
Heatercathodeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2023, 11:58 am   #7
peterpixel
Pentode

I first came into the trade in 1957 as assistant to the service manager of a radio,television and domestic appliance dealer in Manchester. The mainstay of the business was the large number of tv rentals on the books. My job was to look after the goods in and out which entailed helping delivery drivers to unload vast amounts of goods including Ferguson 306 sets. The help of the apprentices was needed for this task which was usually a load of 12 dozen at a time. My foray into tv repair started at this time because of the number of damaged in transit repairs needed of this new stock. Masks and escutcheons were the common parts along with BVA valve replacements. The sets proved to be very reliable and relatively trouble free. Peter.
peterpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2023, 6:28 pm   #8
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Smith View Post
The picture size does vary with the brightness control (a lot more so vertically than horizontally) and at full brightness overfills the screen and goes a bit out of focus. The PL81 line output valve looks to have had a rather long life, but there is still plenty of width available.
PL81s often do look like that. The fact that you've got plenty of width would seem to indicate that the PL is probably OK. I suspect that the problem 'may' be to do with the Tripler modification and a possible mismatch - perhaps some tuning of the line stage could be done. I suspect that the set's previous owner who did the upgrade was never able to get to the bottom of this issue, as it would seem likely that the set had recently been worked on and run before you got it.
Techman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2023, 7:16 pm   #9
Laurence Smith
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Smith View Post
The picture size does vary with the brightness control (a lot more so vertically than horizontally) and at full brightness overfills the screen and goes a bit out of focus. The PL81 line output valve looks to have had a rather long life, but there is still plenty of width available.
PL81s often do look like that. The fact that you've got plenty of width would seem to indicate that the PL is probably OK. I suspect that the problem 'may' be to do with the Tripler modification and a possible mismatch - perhaps some tuning of the line stage could be done. I suspect that the set's previous owner who did the upgrade was never able to get to the bottom of this issue, as it would seem likely that the set had recently been worked on and run before you got it.
Thanks Techman. I am advised that the tripler it has, which has additional connections on it for focus and A2 do not work very well in this type of set, so this morning I ordered a NOS Decca 1810 EHT doubler to try instead. I will fit this and report back on how I get on. There is a little dust and dirt on many of the replaced components, so I am thinking the set has possibly seen a bit of use since all the work was done.

BVWS Member
Old 28th Dec 2023, 10:03 am   #10
vinrads
Dekatron

I too remember the 306T they were ideal rental sets sturdy and reliable, a few years ago I rescued one from a skip, I am thinking it had an FM radio am I correct? After repairing the frame collapse, it worked and the CRT was excellent, as I don't want to start collecting TV 's I gave it away.

Mick.
vinrads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Dec 2023, 11:32 am   #11
Laurence Smith
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
I too remember the 306T they were ideal rental sets sturdy and reliable, a few years ago I rescued one from a skip, I am thinking it had an FM radio am I correct? After repairing the frame collapse, it worked and the CRT was excellent, as I don't want to start collecting TV 's I gave it away.

Mick.
Mine doesn't have an FM radio and I can't see any reference to the optional inclusion of one in either the Trader of manufacturer's service data for this set.

BVWS Member
Old 28th Dec 2023, 12:23 pm   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The 315T has FM radio. The chassis is not at all similar to the 306T employing a 90 degree tube. It is a fringe model of good quality. John.
Heatercathodeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Dec 2023, 1:43 pm   #13
Richard_FM
Nonode

Nice to see it's up and running.
Old 16th Jan 2024, 12:02 am   #14
Laurence Smith
Tetrode

I have now fitted the NOS Decca 1810 EHT doubler, and whilst this hasn't stopped the picture expanding and going out of focus at full brightness, this is now less pronounced with the doubler. This is shown in the 'before' and 'after' photos below showing the picture with the brightness control fully advanced. I had to bring the width in a bit after I had fitted the doubler, as it had increased.

There appears to be a minor sync issue as there is a slight kink in the vertical lines as shown circled in red on the third photo, and I'm only getting a locked picture at one end of the line hold control, so will investigate these issues next.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Full BR w tripler.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	291103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full BR w doubler.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	291104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Verticals.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	291105  

BVWS Member
Old 18th Jan 2024, 7:44 pm   #15
thermionic
Heptode

Hi Laurence.

You’re progressing well with this! I would check R132 (2M7) for being high if your line hold control is right at the end of its track (HT end). Also check R135 (47K) as if this has drifted higher this will not only effect the line oscillator frequency but also a drop in line drive to the PL81.

On my Marconiphone VT155, which is a development of the 306T chassis, I had to try a few different PCF80 valves in order to bring the control to roughly mid position, after exhausting all other possibilities.

Best of luck!

SimonT.
Old 19th Jan 2024, 5:37 pm   #16
Laurence Smith
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic View Post
Hi Laurence.

You’re progressing well with this! I would check R132 (2M7) for being high if your line hold control is right at the end of its track (HT end). Also check R135 (47K) as if this has drifted higher this will not only effect the line oscillator frequency but also a drop in line drive to the PL81.

On my Marconiphone VT155, which is a development of the 306T chassis, I had to try a few different PCF80 valves in order to bring the control to roughly mid position, after exhausting all other possibilities.

Best of luck!

SimonT.
Thanks Simon! I have tried a new PCF80 which didn't make any difference, so will check those resistors next...

BVWS Member
Old 19th Jan 2024, 10:27 pm   #17
Sideband
Dekatron

..but note that Simon said he had to try a few PCF80's before he found one that worked correctly. Some sets were critical of inter-electrode capacity so better to try a few first. No harm checking the resistors as well of course.
Old 20th Jan 2024, 8:30 pm   #18
thermionic
Heptode

Hi Lawrence.

I attach a circuit snippet from your 306T and my VT155.

They must of had tolerance issues with the line oscillator range, as the Marconiphone diagram includes a 47K resistor R203,(which may be shorted out) in the earthy end of the line hold control.

Apart from that the line oscillator remains practically the same.

I hope you’re making progress………!

SimonT.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1541.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	291307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1551.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	291308  
Old 21st Jan 2024, 2:42 pm   #19
Laurence Smith
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic View Post
Hi Lawrence.

I attach a circuit snippet from your 306T and my VT155.

They must of had tolerance issues with the line oscillator range, as the Marconiphone diagram includes a 47K resistor R203,(which may be shorted out) in the earthy end of the line hold control.

Apart from that the line oscillator remains practically the same.

I hope you’re making progress………!

SimonT.
Thanks for that Simon - no progress at present, as the set is in Bicester and I'm in Cornwall but I'll report back on progress in Feb.

BVWS Member
Old 24th Feb 2024, 1:55 pm   #20
Laurence Smith
Tetrode

By way of a minor update on this, I found that the 2M7 R132 measured slightly out of tolerance at just over 3M, so this has been replaced. R135 (47K) tests within tolerance.

I don't have access to my standards converter for the moment, so don't know if this has made any difference to the line hold but will report back again shortly when I am able to apply a signal.

BVWS Member