UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 19th May 2024, 7:03 pm   #1
Hit and Miss
Pentode

Default Round 1935 Ekco AD76.

Saw this for sale three times. Kept thinking about it when I got home so finally got it. Usually regret what you don’t buy.

Condition challenging but finally price was where I wanted it to be and represented good value.

Cabinet dull but otherwise very good. Spent a day cleaning and polishing it with fantastic results and even the original tuning scale. Only really bought it for the cabinet so a bit of a bonus. Concerned that the cabinet wouldn’t buff up but it did.

Missing back, knobs and speaker.

Is the speaker specific to this set or are there generic replacements?

Image online of the back has zillions of holes in it. Might have a go at making one. Is the textured board they used available? What is it called?

Knobs difficult. Have seen a limited number of reproductions online but not the side one. Can anyone send a picture please? Anyone 3d printing?

My thinking was to look out for a complete set with a damaged cabinet and swap out the cabinet.

For the time being I’ll remount the tuning condenser and reassemble what I’ve got. Needs a complete rebuild inside but not too concerned as my radios usually only work as a piece of art.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8249.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	297763   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8250.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	297764   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8252.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	297765   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8253.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	297766  
Hit and Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2024, 7:59 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Round 1935 Ekco AD76.

Excellent job on that cabinet. Regarding the chassis, you can of course strip it completely, shot blast it and repaint it - a very long, laborious job, or you can do what I did with an Ekco ACT96, use a product like Kurust convert the rust to a solid finish. Here's the forum link: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=191690

Otherwise an article covering the restoration was in the last BVWS Bulletin.
Old 19th May 2024, 8:21 pm   #3
Reelman
Octode

That’s a very, very nice job on the cabinet, amazing transformation! Which product/products did you use? Maybe Greygate polish?

Astonished!

Peter
Reelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2024, 8:56 pm   #4
Hit and Miss
Pentode

Car shampoo with a sponge (no salt in it like washing up liquid), metal polish and finish off with brown shoe polish. Recommend remove rings and watch. Nearly ninety years old and so easily chipped. Cleaned my shoes while I was at it.
Old 19th May 2024, 10:14 pm   #5
Reelman
Octode

Well it works very well!
I’ve used black shoe polish to finish off a Bakelite ’phone after spending hours scraping off dried paint. It certainly brings up a nice shiny lustre. And no black ear afterwards if you are careful….

Peter
Reelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2024, 10:28 pm   #6
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

That cabinet has come up really nice! I have 2 of the AC76, same radio but with mains transformer, both were in terrible condition, I did revive one of them, that was a total strip down and re-spray, as the chassis was in much the same state as yours. The speakers for these are the field coil type, and also have a hum bucking coil.

As for the knobs, they are used on quite a few Ekco’s of the period, so some may surface in a box of knobs at a meet, or if you stick out a wanted ad on the forum someone may have some. The side knob is a different matter! It’s missing on both my sets too! If someone has one that could make a mould of it, then resin ones could be cast from the mould, I have done black ones before, but not brown swirly ones. Could be worth asking Ben Dijkman if he has any?

For the back, I’m sure I have seen mention of ‘mill board’ on here, not sure where to get it though!

Best of luck with the restoration!

Lloyd
Lloyd 1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2024, 3:14 pm   #7
Hit and Miss
Pentode

I have made a knob for a 1947 Baird TV. Silicon mould, fibreglass resin touched up with Milliput (air holes) and finished with Humbrol paint. Tricky to drill the spindle hole dead central. Obviously need one to copy. Looked very good. Just knock back the shine on the gloss paint a bit. Don't have the set any more.

Found Millboard: 2.3mm compressed card black faced lightly grained. Can intraplate the holes/slots from online images and drill, hole cutter and router but heart in the mouth stuff (mistakes).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN7201.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	297821  
Old 21st May 2024, 2:59 pm   #8
Hit and Miss
Pentode

Looking at picture of the back on Radiomuseum the top ends of the top row of slots seem too close to the large holes (break through). Are all the small holes at the bottom really necessary?

Heat dissipation must have been an issue. Radiomuseum’s example has holes in the bottom of the cabinet as mine doesn’t. Would mine be an earlier model?

Any chance of me making one would have to be rehashed and simplified a bit.

Arrow shape pointing upwards appears to have four rivets around it. Is there something attached behind?
Old 21st May 2024, 4:34 pm   #9
Ian Blackbourn
Triode

The rivets I think hold a metal shield above the mains dropper resistor to deflect heat away from the top inside of the cabinet.

Ian
Ian Blackbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2024, 4:52 pm   #10
paulsherwin

The chassis looks rough but appears to be restorable - forum members have succeeded with worse. I agree the bakelite has come up very nicely, but you may find that the shine fades as the polish dries out. Excellent start though.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2024, 11:01 am   #11
Hit and Miss
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Blackbourn View Post
The rivets I think hold a metal shield above the mains dropper resistor to deflect heat away from the top inside of the cabinet.

Ian
Makes sense. Don’t want to crack the cabinet. Thinking half pyramid shape made out of a used biscuit tin. Any pictures please? Don’t remember on my black and chrome I had 30years ago. Maybe it was a 76A.

Millboard a bit thin and may need backing up with another sheet of cardboard. Modern way maybe cnc wood router services on mdf. Thinking Millboard may not be robust enough for this but would look better. Practice cutting slots in hardboard with my plunge router.
Old 22nd May 2024, 12:00 pm   #12
Hit and Miss
Pentode

That elusive side knob was missing on my black one. On one of my Friday afternoon visits to Gerry Wells I asked if he had one. He said I could look for one in his drawer of knobs. Bingo couldn’t believe my luck. Neither could he I think. Must have initially thought I’d taken it off one of his display sets. Anyway satisfied I hadn’t sold it to me. Brown but happy days. Painted it black but friend I sold it to eventually found a black one.
Old 23rd May 2024, 1:02 pm   #13
Hit and Miss
Pentode

Do Ekco AC 74,85, and 86 have the same knobs leaving aside the rounds. Also the Radio Rentals versions?

Would any of them share speakers? Looking for a scrapper.
Old 27th May 2024, 12:14 pm   #14
Hit and Miss
Pentode

Got it to the next level. What should turn turns and what should click clicks. Tuning capacitor re mounted with rubber grommets and tap washers. Chassis re mounted with new screws.

Park it for now and wait and see what turns up for parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN8258.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	298091   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8259.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	298097  
Old 3rd Jun 2024, 5:24 pm   #15
Hit and Miss
Pentode

Noticed valve, bottom right, is too tall with cap for the back to be re fitted. May be someone thought just leave it off!

Wonder why the side knob seems to be so often missing?
Old 4th Jun 2024, 7:15 am   #16
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit and Miss View Post
Noticed valve, bottom right, is too tall with cap for the back to be re fitted. May be someone thought just leave it off!

Wonder why the side knob seems to be so often missing?
Gravity, it's angled downwards.
Old 4th Jun 2024, 7:25 am   #17
Dickie
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:
I had that problem when I restored my AC76. Seems like there is some variation in height.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=105723

Richard, BVWS member
Dickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2024, 12:09 pm   #18
Hit and Miss
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:
I had that problem when I restored my AC76. Seems like there is some variation in height.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=105723
Don’t have a back so maybe a custom made, simplified, replacement back with an external pocket recess to accommodate a taller valve.

Less but bigger holes for ventilation a more practical proposition to make.

I assume heat is responsible for deforming the tuning scale. Ideally it needs flattening and moving up a bit with elongated fixing holes. Has any one tried removing and flattening it out possibly with boiling water under weight or a cool iron?
Old 4th Jun 2024, 1:02 pm   #19
slidertogrid
Octode

I think the scales deform purely with age due to the fact that they are Celluloid.
I have two Ekco AD65s, one scale is fairly flat but has shrunk length wise. The other was much more buckled and has also shrunk. I sandwiched the buckled one between two pieces of clear plastic cut to shape and then put some weight on it for a while. Then I mounted it back in the case keeping the two pieces of plastic in place. Some years later it has stayed in place. The other one I just made a couple of 'extensions' to it to fill the gap either end.
Maybe storage conditions have an effect on how bad they get?
Old 4th Jun 2024, 3:59 pm   #20
Hit and Miss
Pentode

Backing up with clear plastic sounds interesting especially as I have some. Need to re heat it. Garden shed will reach 40 degrees + in the heat waves we have now. Have a piece of 1.5” chipboard with weights on top I could use to try to flatten it a bit in there. Also soaking in hot water, weighting and cooling worth a try. Getting it out looks tricky. Penetrating oil and patience. Whole thing needs moving up a couple of mm if I can get it a bit flatter.