UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 22nd May 2024, 9:16 am   #1
Longshanks1969
Diode

Default Beomaster 900k fuse for the lights

Hi, I know corrosion is an issue with the fuse for the lights. Mine was corroded so I cleaned it up, replaced the fuse 1a and new bulbs. The lights worked! The next day no lights, I have tried different fuses up to 5a.

Any idea
I'm very green but keen
Longshanks1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2024, 7:03 pm   #2
Longshanks1969
Diode

Default Re: Beomaster 900k fuse for the lights

New twist, I received a din to 3.5mm lead in the post today and plugged in an ipod into the tape on the back of the machine. The green stereo light comes on. There the fuse is doing its job. I'll check the other bulb and look for any corrosion around them
Longshanks1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2024, 8:15 pm   #3
Mr 1936
Heptode

Hi

The Dial Lamps LP2 and LP3 should be 6.3 Volts 0.3 Amps and are wired in parallel thus drawing 0.6 Amps total. They run from an independent secondary winding on the mains transformer, protected by a 1 Amp series fuse.

If the fuse is open circuit neither bulb will light, but the rest of the unit will perform as normal.

I suggest you re-check for corrosion or looseness in both the bulbholders and the fuseholder. Don't put in different rated fuses, if the rating is too low it will blow. If the rating is too high it won't protect the transformer if there is a short, which could be expensive.

The stereo "beacon" lamp LP1 is 19 Volts 0.097 Amps and is run from a completely separate part of the circuit. It should light when stereo FM signals are being received, but I'm pretty sure this design harks back to the days when you had to buy an outboard stereo decoder and plug it into the 9 pin DIN socket on the back. Without the decoder (possibly with a link plug instead) you would just get mono FM.

The schematic is available online.
Mr 1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 8:25 am   #4
stuarth
Heptode

The Stereo bulb looks for a pilot tone in the stereo decoder when FM is selected, and looks at the position of the Stereo/Mono switch if Gram or Tape are selected. With no stereo decoder fitted (default for the 900, I think), the Stereo bulb will only be lit with Gram or Tape selected.

Stuart
stuarth is offline   Reply With Quote