UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 18th May 2024, 7:41 pm   #1
Keith robertson
Diode

Default Philips N4308

Hi everyone, I am trying to repair a philips n4308 reel to reel inherited from my father. Initially the tape was not moving and I can consigned it to the attic. Recently, I replaced the drive belts and although the motor and belts now seem to be moving, pressing play with a tape in place gives no results. Fast forward and rewind seem to work. Any suggestions?
Keith robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2024, 8:24 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N4308

Hello Keith and welcome to the Forum.

Is the capstan shaft rotating ?

If so then when Play is selected the Pressure/Pinch Roller should move towards the rotating capstan shaft, pressing the tape onto the capstan shaft, the roller should also then rotate which should drive the tape forward off the Supply spool.

David
DMcMahon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2024, 9:17 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N4308

Yes. We assume you have replaced ALL the belts, not just the ones you can see. The flywheel belt is underneath and drives the capstan. Here's a reasonably good video of how the mechanism works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wxiuMbEyvs