UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 21st Apr 2024, 10:38 am   #1
microwaveoven
Diode

Default Broken cassette radio

I have a broken cassette radio that I want to fix but need direction. It did work when I bought it but I accidentally left it on overnight because I fell asleep. Now when I plug it into a power supply I hear nothing moving at all. I can't remember the model but when I'll find out I'll say.
microwaveoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2024, 4:20 pm   #2
Montythegreat10
Triode

Default Re: Broken cassette radio

First thing would be to try the radio. If it works, then you can eliminate the power supply, amplifier and fuses. If it is completely dead (no power light or radio or anything), then you should check to see if the fuse in the plug is blown, and replace it if it is. if the radio is working, you should then open the device up and look at the cassette mechanism. The motor may have stalled, and you may just need to spin it to get the device to work again. If not, then check to see that power is being applied to the motor with a multimeter, and if there is no power applied, then check all of the switches in between the motor and power supply to see if anything is not making good contact. if there is no voltage at the power supply output, then it is the supply that is dead.
Montythegreat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2024, 6:09 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

What is the make and model of the ptoblematic casseiver?

And how old is it?

Problem could be something like an age-perished drive-belt.
Old 9th May 2024, 6:26 am   #4
Mooly
Octode

On a different tack I wondered if a thermal fuse in the mains transformer might have gone open circuit.

As Monty says, if the radio works,. well its not power supply... but if it is 100% dead then measure on ohms between live and neutral of the mains lead with it NOT plugged in of course. If open circuit you have a problem.
Mooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2024, 11:39 am   #5
newlite4
Octode

If this is a portable radio-cassette player, try running it on a set of batteries rather than the mains.
Neil