UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Old 6th May 2024, 6:26 pm   #1
netdudeuk
Diode

Default RO-3-2513 source / alternative ?

Hi

I'm getting together parts to build my own version of a Transam Triton.

It needs a RO-3-2513 character generator which isn't easy to obtain.

It seems things are made more complicated by the fact that there are quite a few versions of this device with different character sets.

A quick glance at the pinout suggests that this could be replaced by a correctly programmed small EPROM. Has anyone overcome this issue without having to spend a small fortune ?

Thanks.
netdudeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2024, 7:48 pm   #2
audiokit
Triode

Default Re: RO-3-2513 source / alternative ?

Hello Netdudeuk

I needed this character ROM too when building the elekterminal. Eventually I purchased one from Ian Lockhart. You should be carefull to go for the right number as every number has a different character set.
A variant is used in the Apple 1, for this one there is a replacement to be found in https://p-l4b.github.io/2513/
If you have the binary for your ROM (the right character set) you can program it in a 2716 eprom and add a little pcb for the pin conversion.

Anyway, finding (making) a replacement is possible
Benny

Last edited by audiokit; 6th May 2024 at 7:55 pm.
audiokit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2024, 1:11 am   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Depending on voltage and temperature, it looks as though the original device can be as fast as 220nS, whereas typical older generation eproms like 2716, etc are often slower at around 450nS, etc - so choose your substitute device carefully.
SiriusHardware is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2024, 9:22 am   #4
KeithsTV
Nonode

You're in luck again! I have a RO-3-2513 bought back in the late 70s/early 80s for a long forgotten project. I'll never use it so it's yours if you want it. I'll add it to the 8080 parts I'm sending.

Keith
KeithsTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2024, 12:10 pm   #5
netdudeuk
Diode

Thanks for the replies and, in particular, to Keith, for getting together the main parts for my project. That's very good of you.
netdudeuk is offline   Reply With Quote