UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 13th Apr 2024, 9:21 pm   #1
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Kenwood mixer - RIFA capacitor

My Kenwood mixer has succumbed to the well known ‘scourge of the smoking paper Rifa’ - see attached.

Easy enough to replace with an X2 cap, different brand of course, but I’m just wondering what might have caused this and if there are implications for any other components?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2029.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	296344
Old 13th Apr 2024, 9:29 pm   #2
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Kenwood mixer - RIFA capacitor

“They all do that Sir”.

Martin
Old 13th Apr 2024, 10:02 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

As stated. 'they all do it' after some years of use. Micro-cracks in the casing allow moisture to enter...Nuf said! Just replace it with a suitably rated X cap.
Old 14th Apr 2024, 8:59 am   #4
Simondm
Pentode

https://kenwoodchefrestore.co.uk

They are very good - affordable kits and spares, for both early and later models. I repaired the motor unit on our now 40-year-old Chef Excel for less than 20 quid with a component kit from them (yes, the cap, and I think the triac too), but then the Domestic Controller decided she preferred the motor upgrade, so I fitted that instead! They sell pretty much everything you'd expect - I also repacked the gearbox (just in time - the grease resembled Cheddar!). It runs much better now and is even slightly quieter.

They're down the road from us in Bridgwater, Somerset, although I didn;t need to visit them..
Simondm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2024, 10:18 am   #5
Hartley118
Nonode

“Quiet” isn’t a description I’ve ever associated with our half-century old Kenwood Chef.

Martin
Old 14th Apr 2024, 10:44 am   #6
Simondm
Pentode

Me neither. Hence "slightly quieter".

Re-packing the gearbox probably helped a lot as well as the motor change.
Simondm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2024, 11:34 am   #7
factory
Octode

RIFA Madness, beware these metallized paper crapacitors are now sold under the Kemet brand, WIMA make some paper rubbish too, There is another RIFA visible, make sure you eliminate any others you find, to avoid a repeat of the stink/smoke event.

David
factory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2024, 12:25 pm   #8
Refugee
Dekatron

Our Kenwood chef still has the vinyl dust cover.
It was not the cheapest but made up for that by having been an unwanted wedding present stored out of site except during visits for 40 years.
The smokiest REFA ever has to be the one went off in my vacuum cleaner several years ago surely.
Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2024, 1:32 pm   #9
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by factory View Post
RIFA Madness, beware these metallized paper crapacitors are now sold under the Kemet brand, WIMA make some paper rubbish too, There is another RIFA visible, make sure you eliminate any others you find, to avoid a repeat of the stink/smoke event.

David
Thanks David - if I avoid RIFA, KEMET and WIMA then which make would you recommend?

I’ll ensure that the entire mechanism and circuitry gets checked and refurbished.
Old 14th Apr 2024, 1:45 pm   #10
factory
Octode

I've been using a mix of Epcos & Vishay for the polyester or polypropylene film X/Y class safety capacitors, Panasonic would also be good.

And Murata & Vishay for the ceramic disc versions, all obtained from RS, Farnell or Mouser.

David
factory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2024, 4:17 pm   #11
Beardyman
Hexode

RIFA's are renowned for releasing the magic smoke, so much so that we no longer use them at work & we had to recall several lines of business because of them. Vishay have a good reputation as does Murata etc.