UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jun 2019, 8:33 pm   #21
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: 1960s Belling cooker- element issues!

We also had one of these well manufactured and HEAVY cookers with the overhead lamp with two SES candle bulbs. It collected grease and looked clumsy, spoiling the look of the cooker. I took it off!

I replaced a couple of boiling rings that I obtained from Belling in Enfield.

Mum had an 'incident' with one of the boiling rings. She mashed some potato while the pan was still on the cooker, very unusual for her. Anyway the securing nut for the ring must have been loose. It twisted and shorted to the framework with a huge bang and flash! It blew the corporation fuse but it was fixed by the LEB service guy within the hour. We lived at Merton Park back then. John.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 10:16 pm   #22
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

My grandmother had one of those cookers. As was my habit when working near to where she lived, one day I called round for some lunch. It was a good thing I did too, as she had left the chip-pan unattended and it had caught fire.

I covered it with a well wrung-out damp tea towel like they did on the BBC public information film.

Luckily, apart from the smoke damage to the kitchen, the cooker knobs were the only casualties particularly the two small ones that set the timer.

I absolutely loved the intuitive way that timer works, with the red arc that appears on the clock face. A brilliant piece of design.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 11:31 pm   #23
McMurdo
Dekatron

We had the Belling Classic Super 50, a WHich? Best Buy, 1964. Never had to replace any element or simmerstat, just the Smiths timer.
DO make sure power is getting to the element before condemning one. They knew how to make them in those days unlike the rubbish elements you get these days that sometimes last a couple of dishes before going open.
I'm not sure if yours is the same but on ours, 3 of the rings were on simmerstats and the fourth on a thermostat with spring loaded sensor in the middle that touched the pan.

I assume you've looked at the connections in the switch cabinet, they're often solid wires in this age of cooker, twisted and looped around a screw terminal that can work free in time.
Old 27th Jun 2019, 12:58 am   #24
bionicmerlin
Heptode

More often than not the connections on the rings used to corrode and assuming the top lifts up for cleaning just a little pull on the wire each time it was lifted would break the wire on the ring tag or spade.
Unlikely to be the control stat .9 out of 10 times they don’t just stop working they tend to not fully switch off.
Andy
Old 28th Jun 2019, 11:22 am   #25
crackle
Rest in Peace

My mum had a very similar cooker.
She had washed out a pewter tankard and placed it on the ring to dry. She was surprised when she returned to find it had vanished.
Only to be found in the drip tray under the ring.

Mike
Old 28th Jun 2019, 11:28 am   #26
Refugee
Dekatron

My mum did the same thing.
She put it on the ring to pre-heat it.
The bottom dropped out.
Closed Thread