UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Apr 2013, 11:37 pm   #1
DAC10 Collector
Tetrode

Default And yet another TV22

I am the current custodian of the Bush TV22 pictured below, but unfortunately the CRT has gone to air.

Taking note of the numerous threads stressing the importance of obtaining first light before doing anything else, I have resisted the temptation to do a blanket capacitor replacement or chassis clean-up and potentially introducing further faults before sourcing a replacement CRT. Any restoration has been limited to cleaning the Bakelite case with Graygate paste no 5.

My approach is to patiently wait until a replacement MW22-16 CRT (including possibly finding a tatty TV22 with serviceable CRT) can be located.

As this is my first step into the fascinating world of TV restoration, I would welcome any advice on the above approach, given that first light is not immediately possible.

Many Thanks

Mike M1DPB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV22 Chassis (800x600).jpg
Views:	273
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	79134   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV22 CASE.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	79135  
Old 28th Apr 2013, 7:29 am   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: And Yet Another TV22

Hello Mike,
Yes I think your line of attack is spot on. It looks reasonable but is lacking the screening cans from around the line output stage. This will not stop it working of course but some grotty service 'engineer' could not be bothered to replace them some time in the past.
The MW22-18 is replaced with the MW22-16 with ion trap but any Mullard tube can be fitted with minor modifications such as the MW22-14 and MW22-14C. The later two may have ion burns as would the original MW22-18 but in my experience this has little effect on the enjoyment of viewing a vintage receiver and I don't expect you are too worried about slight discolouration at the centre of the picture.
As you suggest, looking for a really tatty model with a good tube might be your best option. The receivers that are falling apart usually have good tubes!
Good luck with it. Regards, John.
Old 28th Apr 2013, 10:19 am   #3
dansteele
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike,

Good luck with the project I have just finished mine, I had to sit and be patient for the parts I needed but got there in the end.

If you go down the spare CRT route instead of a donor set, I've got a spare set of cans (all 3 parts) that you can have for the cost of postage. About time I gave something back to the forum, at a lot of help including from John got me to the stage of having a fully functioning set.

If you happen to stumble across two CRT's in your search let me know as I'm in need of one for my second set.

Dan
Old 28th Apr 2013, 7:45 pm   #4
DAC10 Collector
Tetrode

Hi,

John - Many thanks for your words of encouragement and advice on the approach being taken, together with recommendations on alternative tubes.

Dan - Again many thanks for your supporting comments and offer to supply replacement screening cans, but as the previous custodian of my set is currently trying to locate the originals (or if a donor set includes these cans) it would obviously be unfair to accept at this stage.

I will be placing my Bush TV22 restoration on hold and wait patiently until a replacement CRT can be located, when a further update will be posted.

Regards
Mike M1DPB
Old 29th Apr 2013, 9:44 pm   #5
dansteele
Retired Dormant Member

No worries Mike,

They won't be going anywhere, so just drop me a PM if you can't get hold of the others.

Good luck in your search!

Dan
Closed Thread