UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2009, 8:13 am   #1
Aitchjay
Retired Dormant Member

Default Slipping Idler Wheel on Garrard/BSR Decks

I have seen this problem raised on here several times. This is a solution I have found that has worked well, both with Garrard and BSR decks.
First remove the idler. On the Garrard ones there is a boss about 12mm diameter on what is the underside. This can be gripped in the chuck of an electric drill. Next stretch some sandpaper, as flat as possible, on a wooden block and grip in a vice. Fire up the drill and lower the edge of the idler, keeping it as square as possible, onto the sandpaper. This gives a nice flat surface to the periphery, which is important for contact area, whilst keeping concentricity.
On BSR decks it can be a little more fiddly. There is no boss to grip. What I have done with these is to get hold of a drill which fits the bore of the idler bush, add a couple of spots of super glue to the plain end and push on the idler. Then load the drill into the chuck nd proceed as above. Afterwards the idler is easily tapped off of the drill.
As I say this has worked well for me.

James
Old 15th Apr 2009, 4:41 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Slipping Idler Wheel on Garrard/BSR Decks

Hi James
Good idea - my only concern would be the superglue getting into the porous sintered bush, but in all fairness, it would take some time for that to be evident!
Old 15th Apr 2009, 6:55 pm   #3
Aitchjay
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike

I take your point and to be honest it probably does happen to a degree. Hopefully, because the load and rpm are both low it won't make to much difference.

James
Old 16th Apr 2009, 10:20 am   #4
georgesgiralt
Hexode

Hi !
I've seen a laser printer repairer using a spray to restore grip on rubber rollers.
He told me that sometimes sanding them is worse than letting them sit untouched and that his product was perfect for the use, restoring the rubber adherence. It was something like "platenclene" written on the can.
Hope this helps.
Old 19th Apr 2009, 11:00 pm   #5
igranic
Rest in Peace

I can recommend Electrolube Rubber Roller Restorer, available from CPC.

Using sandpaper and an electric drill, unless done at very low RPM, there is a risk of burning or melting the rubber.

As an alternative to superglue, a suitably sized bolt and nut could be used as an arbor on which to mount the roller.

Some years ago, HP had a problem on their printers with the formulation of the rubber of the feed rollers, which became prematurely hardened and polished. They issued a kit (which I still have) consisting of a sprung metal plate on which was fixed a piece of Scotchbrite-type material. along with a program which ran the feed motor continuously for 20 minutes. The sprung Scotchbite plate was positioned under the feed roller, abrading the surface, removing the oxidised rubber, thereby restoring the roller's grip and surface texture.

Edward
Old 21st Apr 2009, 6:10 pm   #6
WME_bill
Octode

I have had this trouble with paper feed rollers on printers, and copiers, as well as with drive belts on a tape recorder and small computer disc drives.
When the mechanic comes for the routine service of the copier, I asked his advice. One said he always uses MS4 silicone spray (the familiar WD40), leave a few moments, and then wipe of any grease. Seems to slightly soften/perish the rubber. Another said never use WD40. He uses isopropyl alcohol. Does not like meths, as the additives and colouring leave a residue.
Another said just rub the rollers with a fine abrasive, and then clean with isopropyl alcohol.
That seems to agree with the suggestions already made, but doesn't help chose which method.
But what about small tape recorder belts. They seem to go stiff and loose their tension. I just get replacement belts from CPC. But the shelf life seems to be only a couple of years, so it makes an expensive repair with the minimum order charge.
Has anyone tried fabricating a spring loaded jocket wheel to tension the belt up? BillN
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 9:30 pm   #7
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I rememeber being told many years ago by a radio engineer never to get meths onto rubber wheels when cleaning tape heads etc
Closed Thread