UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2007, 5:55 pm   #21
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default Re: 1946 Double Decca 46 MW/LW/SW mains/battery 4 valve portable

A wonderful standard achieved there, Howard, and yes, Steve, I see what you mean about the way in which the set looks like something more modern!

[img]http://farm3.static.***********/2190/1534708744_2235c53924_o.jpg[/img]

Old 10th Oct 2007, 7:01 pm   #22
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Thanks Robert, I wondered if it was as it should be. I suppose it is and it's a match for the cream coloured front.
rgds Colin
Hello Colin,

The original rear cover and the replacement are both cream in colour, and here's the rear of my set. I may just touch that up too ...... when I repaint the front.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Double-Decca-46_rear.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	12707  
Old 10th Oct 2007, 7:55 pm   #23
af024
Octode

Well done Howard ... another Double Decca 46 saved. I had no end of trouble with mine (which has the same cabinet finish as yours) - well worth the effort though.

One thing I couldn't work out though was that on mine, near the grey ww resistor (near the selenium rectifier), there was a small thermistor. Only one leg was attached with the other going absolutely no-where (dangling in free air). There is no mention of this in the circuit.

Regarding your front, and I know that this sounds a bit wrong for a vintage radio and all, but would plastic coating do the job nicely? Not sure whether it would stand the heat from the oven though. Failing that, I think PlastiKote Antique White is probably the right mach.

What will you do with the speaker grille?

Andy
Old 10th Oct 2007, 8:04 pm   #24
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR 11L View Post
...I see what you mean about the way in which the set looks like something more modern!
That's exactly the set I was thinking of (as well as it's £20 Chinese imitators).

Nick.
Old 10th Oct 2007, 9:10 pm   #25
Colin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
Hello Colin,

The original rear cover and the replacement are both cream in colour, and here's the rear of my set. I may just touch that up too ...... when I repaint the front.

Howard
Hi Howard,

Thanks for that, I had wondered if mine had been sprayed at some time. Good job I didn't spend ages trying to remove the paint

Here are a few pictures of mine. The front is original but the grille has been re-sprayed, the back's a bit tatty. I think you'll do a great job with yours and it'll look much better

rgds
Colin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DD47 (1).JPG
Views:	114
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	12710   Click image for larger version

Name:	DD47 (2).JPG
Views:	95
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	12711   Click image for larger version

Name:	DD47 (3).JPG
Views:	101
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	12712   Click image for larger version

Name:	DD47 (4).JPG
Views:	99
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	12713  
Old 10th Oct 2007, 9:25 pm   #26
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by af024 View Post
Well done Howard ... another Double Decca 46 saved. I had no end of trouble with mine (which has the same cabinet finish as yours) - well worth the effort though.
One thing I couldn't work out though was that on mine, near the grey ww resistor (near the selenium rectifier), there was a small thermistor. Only one leg was attached with the other going absolutely no-where (dangling in free air). There is no mention of this in the circuit.
Regarding your front, and I know that this sounds a bit wrong for a vintage radio and all, but would plastic coating do the job nicely? Not sure whether it would stand the heat from the oven though. Failing that, I think PlastiKote Antique White is probably the right mach.
What will you do with the speaker grille?
Andy
Thanks Andy,

I don't remember seeing any thermistors in this set. I should remove it.

I wouldn't do a plastic coating, but will check out the plastikote antique white to see if it's a suitable colour ..... that's my next challenge, finding suitable paint for aluminium in the right colour. The grille is fine, unmarked, but it'll probably get repainted as well.

Howard

Last edited by howard; 10th Oct 2007 at 9:35 pm.
Old 10th Oct 2007, 9:29 pm   #27
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
BTW, have you read the interesting article about these by the late Geoffrey Dixon-Nutall in a back issue of the BVWS Bulletin (on the CD)? I can recommend it highly.
It's in the February 1995 (Volume 20, Number 1) Bulletin, pp. 6-7, on the "BVWS3" CD-ROM.
Old 10th Oct 2007, 9:33 pm   #28
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Hi Howard,
Thanks for that, I had wondered if mine had been sprayed at some time. Good job I didn't spend ages trying to remove the paint
Here are a few pictures of mine. The front is original but the grille has been re-sprayed, the back's a bit tatty. I think you'll do a great job with yours and it'll look much better rgds Colin
Hello Colin,

It will be resprayed as soon as I find suitable paint. I wish it was white like your later model, no problem finding white paint. I think youre right, it will look a lot better when repainted.

Howard
Old 10th Oct 2007, 9:46 pm   #29
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
It's in the February 1995 (Volume 20, Number 1) Bulletin, pp. 6-7, on the "BVWS3" CD-ROM.
Thanks Nick.

Howard
Old 10th Oct 2007, 10:11 pm   #30
igranic
Rest in Peace

If, as I understand it, the front panel of the Double Decca 46 is aluminium, then ordinary aerosol spray paint will not adhere well to the aluminium unless is first treated with 'self etch primer'.

Bare aluminium, exposed to air, rapidly forms a skin of aluminium oxide to which most paint will not successfully adhere. Self etch primer contains a mild acid which eats through the oxide layer allowing the primer to form a firm bond with the underlying aluminium. Etching primer is available in aerosol form from Frosts, or possibly from local motor factors. It also appears on ebay, but often at excessive prices when carriage is included.

Incidentally, caution is required when stripping paint from aluminium; many proprietary paint strippers will attack aluminium - read the label carefully. I recently took a scruffy aluminium cabinet to my friendly local spray shop, who kindly dunked the whole thing in bath of "spray gun cleaner" which stripped it bare ready for a coat of self etch primer.
Old 11th Oct 2007, 9:00 am   #31
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by igranic View Post
If, as I understand it, the front panel of the Double Decca 46 is aluminium, then ordinary aerosol spray paint will not adhere well to the aluminium unless is first treated with 'self etch primer'.
Hello Edward,

Yes, I'm aware of the problems with painting aluminium. PlastiKote do a range of metal primers so I will check them out.

Howard

PS: In fact they do do an aluminium primer

Last edited by howard; 11th Oct 2007 at 9:18 am.
Old 11th Oct 2007, 11:06 am   #32
Alvin
Heptode

And here's my 10 quid car boot bargain which came complete with somewhat tatty batteries which I opened up and popped in some pp3s and d cells - it works a treat on all 3 bands. I tried it on mains via the lamp limiter and it behaved itself so left everything well alone as it only gets occasional use on batteries.

Somewhere in this tip I call home I've mislaid the rear panel so I'm grateful for the pics posted here - at least I now know what I'm looking for!

Alvin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Double Decker - 1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	12718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Double Decker - 2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	12719  
Old 11th Oct 2007, 1:56 pm   #33
howard
Nonode

Hello Alvin,

That can't be bad, finding a working valve radio for a tenner, amazing to find a Double Decca still working !

I've found some suitable paint now for the front, Plasti-Kote aluminium primer and Plasti-Kote vanilla coloured enamel paint. I've just got to locate some now ...

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plastikote_vanilla.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	12723  
Old 11th Oct 2007, 9:06 pm   #34
af024
Octode

Wilko seem to stock quite a bit and I've seen some in some DIY stores.

I wish you good hunting Howard.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 12th Oct 2007, 7:38 pm   #35
howard
Nonode

Hello again,

I've got the paint - I didn't go for vanilla as it was too yellow, instead I got some Plasti Kote 'creme de la creme' cream paint which is a good match. I couldn't find any aluminium primer though.

I've read Geoffrey Dixon-Nuttall's article 'The classics: The Double Decca' which certainly highlighted several flaws in its design. In mine, Ron has fitted the shunt resistors to prolong the life of its valves, and there is one more fix to be done to it to prevent the LT smoothing capacitor from exploding should the filament break in the N16 output valve - this work will be done at the same time as the respray of the front panel and I will do a write up on these final pieces of work shortly.

Howard
Old 12th Oct 2007, 8:10 pm   #36
igranic
Rest in Peace

I downloaded a copy of the Plasti-Kote Safety Data Sheet for their 'Aluminium Primer'. There appears to be no mention of any constituent that would provide 'self etch' properties.
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 1:48 pm   #37
howard
Nonode

Hello again,

I have repainted the front of the Double Decca 46 now. It's quite straightforward get the front off of these, just remove the chassis, the wooden block in the right hand corner, the speaker baffle (4 screws), and the four battens around the edge of the front panel (2 screws each) and it will then come out. I stripped off all the paint with Nitromors, primed it with two coats of Plasti-kote Aluminium primer obtained from here ...

http://www.paintsprays.co.uk

and then two coats of Plasti-kote creme de la creme coloured paint which is a spot-on match. The paint finish is perfect (no runs or blobs !) but I might just compound it down in a few weeks time. Lastly I bought some nice new screws to replace the battens and baffle with.

It does look a lot better now.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Decca_Double-Decca-46_front 001.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	13629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca_Double-Decca-46_wip 001.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	13630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca_Double-Decca-46_wip 002.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	13631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca_Double-Decca-46_under 001.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	13632  
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 2:06 pm   #38
batterymaker1
Heptode

It looks like it came right out of the shipping carton. What a difference!
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 4:07 pm   #39
Colin
Heptode

Great job Howard, much better!
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 5:40 pm   #40
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Ah, that's better Well done, superb workmanship and attention to detail as always, Howard

By the way, do make sure those Rexine squares on the bottom don't fall off or wear thin, as they're an important safety feature to stop anything touching the potentially-live chassis retaining bolts.

Nick.
Closed Thread