UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2013, 1:06 pm   #41
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Default Re: Ferguson 3V43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redders03 View Post
Look what I managed to find finally:
http://www.donberg.co.uk/descript/2/23213.htm
Bit expensive at £21 though, oh then after tax and shipping £32 !
Considering that the kit includes the clutch unit, £21.00 is a reasonable price. Around 20 years ago, the clutch unit alone would have cost £7-8.

I hope that your HIFI heads are not worn. I have no idea where you would be able to get a replacement head drum now. I bought mine a few years ago from Wiltsgrove. At the time it cost under £20.00.
Old 22nd Feb 2013, 1:16 pm   #42
Redders03
Pentode

If the HI-FI heads are worn, would not the video heads wear equally and then the video would be shocking as well.
Old 22nd Feb 2013, 1:19 pm   #43
ben
Dekatron

No.
The audio is recorded at a different frequency and tape 'depth', and as such is the first thing to suffer.
Old 22nd Feb 2013, 2:05 pm   #44
Andy Doz
Hexode

Quote:
When playing the pre recorded tape back, the sound is excellent but the tracking does required to be altered + of the centre point, there is no purring when tracked correctly.
So the hifi heads are most likely OK.

As pointed out, the Hifi sound is first to suffer from duff heads.
Old 22nd Feb 2013, 2:45 pm   #45
Redders03
Pentode

Well, if there is an issue with the heads, that's above my skill set I have never changed a video head drum !
Old 22nd Feb 2013, 3:15 pm   #46
Redders03
Pentode

Ok well the parts are on order, got everything minus the tension Band from TW Electronics for £15.30 including VAT and Delivery. Very Good service!
Old 22nd Feb 2013, 5:47 pm   #47
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Quote:
Ok well the parts are on order, got everything minus the tension Band from TW Electronics for £15.30 including VAT and Delivery. Very Good service!
That is good. The video heads on these are very easy to change. Remove the cassette housing. Make a note of where all the head wires go to. Quickly desolder each one in turn, so as not to melt their insulation. Remove the two screws and pull the upper drum off. It the drum won't come off, use a little heat from a hairdryer. Don't be tempted to lever it off with a screwdriver as it will cause damage! On fitting a new head, the head switching point adjustments may need adjustment. I used an alignment tape to check these, but someone else on here may have come up with another method.

Some of the older Philips Video heads were not as easy to change as the upper part of the rotary transformer was an integral part of the head drum and a jig was needed to set them. They were also expensive to replace.
Old 11th Mar 2013, 7:19 pm   #48
Redders03
Pentode

Post Re: Ferguson 3V43

Hi all, me back again, right finally parts arrived and got round to fitting them, god did the roller need changing, now it threads and plates smooth, all mechanical functions are brillant, but still recorded sound is very low and requires massive amplification to here, no HIFI, so now I guess it's time to check for a feed to the heads, after this it's unfortunately looks like duff heads, this has had alot do use so I would not be suprised ! Any input is greatfully received !

Alex
Old 12th Mar 2013, 6:14 pm   #49
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Hi,

My guess would be the HIFI heads unless someone else as any other ideas. You could try Wiltsgrove for the heads, they may still have some NOS ones if you are very lucky. Do you have good sound recorded with the ordinary audio head now?
Old 12th Mar 2013, 8:26 pm   #50
AidanLunn
Heptode

Quote:
Hi all, me back again, right finally parts arrived and got round to fitting them, god did the roller need changing, now it threads and plates smooth, all mechanical functions are brillant, but still recorded sound is very low and requires massive amplification to here, no HIFI, so now I guess it's time to check for a feed to the heads, after this it's unfortunately looks like duff heads, this has had alot do use so I would not be suprised ! Any input is greatfully received !

Alex
I'm certain that this issue definitely sound mechanical and is nothing to do with the heads. The prerecorded tape confirmed the heads are out of the equation.

The fault lies in the audio amplification stage, though obviously the replacement of the parts that you've already done will have needed doing soon anyway.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 12:42 pm   #51
julie_m
Dekatron

Apologies if you already knew this; but many VCRs with hi-fi audio were fitted with manual recording level controls and meters, in order to take advantage of the improved dynamic range available. If this is the case with your machine, make sure the recording level is actually turned up enough; the meters should just venture into the red on the loudest sounds.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 2:47 pm   #52
Redders03
Pentode

Yes I have tried Auto and Manual settings and both give the same results
Old 8th May 2013, 10:27 pm   #53
Redders03
Pentode

Hi, its been a while but I would supply an update. About 5 weeks ago the gears on the Carriage broke meaning the tape was stuck in the machine. Anyway thanks to Steve "fetteler" supplied a spares machine and a complete service kit including heads. Anyway, fitted the carriage and inserted a tape. All fine, then pressed play, it threaded half way then returned to the stop position . Now this baffled me its probably something really simple or it may not be.

When I can finally play a tape I will get out the CRO with the service manual and investigate the recording issue.

Any thoughts let me know

Alex
Old 9th May 2013, 4:24 pm   #54
GadgetM
Tetrode

Hi, in case it suffers from the same fault as my 3V53 (with regard the hi-fi audio) there were a series of capacitors on the power supply that needed changing as they were causing me to loose my hi-fi audio playback. Basically I changed all the capacitors and it all worked fine from then on. Also there should be 2 small variable resistors for the hi-fi audio record levels, best check those.
Old 9th May 2013, 10:24 pm   #55
Redders03
Pentode

Right, update, the playing issue is sorted via reseating some connectors and cleaning the mechanics so it can only get better now
As I have AS exams coming up I wont really be able to work on it any more until after the 5th june, then I will hunt down this Sound Rec. issue

Thanks everyone so far and will update after my exams are over
Old 9th May 2013, 11:37 pm   #56
fetteler
Octode

Glad you've reached the turning point at last Alex

Best of luck with the exams, all I can remember from my own A levels was the wonderful feeling of relief when they were over

Cheers,
Steve.