UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Aug 2017, 11:56 pm   #21
Mad Mal
Tetrode

Default Re: Bakelite Hairdryers

Some of those stilllook modern in style. I note that Babyliss have recently introduced a Retro styled range that bears a particular resemblance to one of those pictured with a metal shroud over the exit point for the air, seems things do go around in circles.
Old 27th Aug 2017, 2:19 am   #22
Refugee
Dekatron

My mum had a cheap DC motor hair dryer with a plastic bag with sort of spout that you put over the end of the drier.
Neither the dryer or the bag lasted long.
Old 28th Aug 2017, 10:25 am   #23
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I remember in the early days of cylinder vacuum cleaners they had a 'suck' and 'blow end, my grandmother had such a cleaner , a Goblin I think it was, you could fit the hose into either end, I have known those used as hairdryers.

Peter
Old 28th Aug 2017, 11:36 am   #24
emeritus
Dekatron

We had one of those cheap ones with a 12V DC motor. When the element went, I connected the motor directly to the mains lead, replaced the plug, and used it when we went camping in our motor caravan, only cold air, but better than nothing. I also made up an adapter for inflating the air bed. Not powerful enough for full inflation, but it meant you only had to blow the last bit yourself.
Old 28th Aug 2017, 12:02 pm   #25
McMurdo
Dekatron

Ironically, Forfex, who made that raygun professional dryer are now part of Babyliss.
Old 29th Aug 2017, 6:39 pm   #26
Brigham
Octode

They would often be fitted with a bayonet plug because they were usually used in bedrooms.
Not everyone in the '60s was living in a '60s house!
Old 29th Aug 2017, 8:40 pm   #27
MurphyNut
Heptode

Older property just didn't have the amount of plug sockets we are used to nowadays, this is very evident in the amount and variety of adaptors that turn up.
Old 30th Aug 2017, 10:06 am   #28
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Bayonet adaptors were very common then, my grandmother's house only had one 2 pin 5a socket downstairs, everything else was plugged into the light. Remember the 2 way adaptors so you could have the light and appliance on at the same time, often this was a 600w bowl fire, the adaptor often had a switch on it with a dangling cord so you could save electricity by turning the light off in the daytime while still using the appliance.

Peter
Old 31st Aug 2017, 3:17 am   #29
MurphyNut
Heptode

For some years I've collected such things as they are make of that lovely Bakelite material and I find them interesting. They used to turn up at Car boots often but I don't see them so much now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140132_10214813322505870_2097751844856301848_n.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	148654  
Old 31st Aug 2017, 6:55 am   #30
teedee1
Retired Dormant Member

I quite often see these old hairdryers at the local car boot - in the house clearance boxes.
Beautiful items! what a lovely collection.
Old 31st Aug 2017, 9:52 am   #31
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyNut View Post
For some years I've collected such things as they are make of that lovely Bakelite material and I find them interesting. They used to turn up at Car boots often but I don't see them so much now.
Yep, they're the ones. Haven't seen one for sometime but I have quite a few B/C connectors though.

Peter
Old 9th Sep 2017, 11:54 am   #32
The Philpott
Dekatron

Look out for asbestos everyone. As a bare minimum precaution the first switch on after rebuild and/or inactivity should be done outside.
Old 17th Oct 2017, 9:49 am   #33
electronicskip
Nonode

I have a lovely 1968 Boots Capri Hairdryer still boxed in as new condition which belonged to my sister which we found after she passed away.
It still has the display packaging, instructions and even the safety triangle still attached to the cord.

I've never turned it on but there's probably no reason why it won't work, in all honesty I don't think she ever even used it knowing her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000375.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	150904  
Old 17th Oct 2017, 5:02 pm   #34
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, I saw a nice brown Bakelite one with its own brown Bakelite carry case and accessories in a junk shop in Cockermouth today.

Ed
Old 17th Oct 2017, 11:09 pm   #35
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

How I envy you chaps. Not for your lovely collections of hairdryers, but because you still have enough hair to need a hairdryer!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 28th Feb 2018, 1:48 pm   #36
tigger449
Retired Dormant Member

My grandparents had a contraption that converted the vacuum cleaner into a hairdryer. It was basically a tube containing an element that you attached to the hose of the cleaner which you then attached to the 'exhaust' of the machine. It was never used on the grounds that nobody wanted dust blown into their hair!
Closed Thread