UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2017, 9:20 pm   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default What bulb for 1930's 'night watchman' Ever Ready?

I won a 5 D cell 1930's Ever Ready torch on eBay and have just been tinkering with it. I have got it working now but am not sure about what bulb it would have been fitted with. It would have been one of the larger globe types, but what Voltage and Amperage?

Going through my bulbs I have Ever Ready 'cycle':

6V, 0.3A
5.5V, 0.3A
6V, 0.25A
6V, 0.5A

There used to be a lot more types and ratings available at even little shops. I miss those days.

Using the logic of other 30's torches, the 6V, 0.3A sounds the one - 7.5 Volts would soon sag to 6 under load, but the 5.5V one is brighter still...

I want to put the correct rated bulb in so any memories or data appreciated. I have filled it with Maplin 3000mAh D size rechargeable batteries as they are half price at the moment.

It's a really nice light made from drawn brass, proudly made in England.

Thanks for any input.
Old 27th May 2017, 9:25 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: What bulb for 1930's 'night watchman' Ever Ready?

Rechargeables will only produce 1.2V per cell.
Old 27th May 2017, 9:43 pm   #3
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Yes, a bit lower than carbon batteries initially but the carbon batteries do get down to 1.22-1.25v under load quite quickly even when fresh so I should not be too far off hopefully with the NiMh ones.
Old 27th May 2017, 9:43 pm   #4
broadgage
Nonode

Rechargeables are indeed about 1.2 volts per cell.
Disposable zinc carbon or alkaline cells despite being about 1.5 volts each when at rest, are reckoned at about 1.2 volts average on load voltage in a torch. Perhaps about 1.3 or 1.35 volts for lower current bulbs and larger batteries.

Rather confusingly, Ever Ready and other well known manufacturers tended to market screw base torch bulbs in the following ratings
1.5 volts for a single cell
2.5 volts for two cells
3.5 volts for three cells
5.5 volts for four cells.

Thereby not following any very logical system regarding presumed volts per cell.

Five cell lights were never that popular and tended to use 6 volt bulbs primarily intended for dynamo cycle lighting.
Old 27th May 2017, 11:23 pm   #5
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Thanks. I've settled on 6V, 0.3A. Just right!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170527_232021.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	143458  
Old 28th May 2017, 11:24 am   #6
broadgage
Nonode

Presuming that the 6 volt 0.3 amp bulb is intended for cycle dynamo lighting, then yes that should be fine.

A 6 volt pilot lamp would give a very poor light indeed as such lamps are designed to last many thousands of hours and are of low efficiency.

Drifting only slightly O/T I have used a 6 volt pilot lamp very successfully in an 8 cell battery light. voltage on load was probably about 9.6 or 10 volts which is about right if using a pilot lamp for illumination rather than indication.
Old 28th May 2017, 3:36 pm   #7
IanNVJ35
Heptode

I have just done a quick test with a few 6.5V pilot bulbs I have. They need between 8.6 and 10 Volts to match the whiteness of a torch bulb (different manufacturers of bulb need differing voltage). The brightest was pulling nearly half an Amp at 10 Volts - nearly 5 Watts. Quite impressive.
Old 28th May 2017, 4:45 pm   #8

That is a splendid torch, note to self, don't start collecting torches!

Old 28th May 2017, 9:58 pm   #9
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Thanks. Yes, the 5 cell body certainly looks the part especially with the 30's art deco shape. Torches are all too easy to accumulate so be careful when picking up one just to try...
Closed Thread