UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2018, 4:03 pm   #61
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Transformer safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
But I'd be really interested to know if there's been any substantial fall in casualties brought about by more and more strict electrical/electronic regulations. . . . . So perhaps the major result of all the safety improvements, in terms of electric shock at least, has simply been 'dumbing down' ? I honestly don't know if there's any truth in this though. Does anyone ?
This makes for interesting reading . . .
https://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/...threadid=61494

Al.
Old 28th Sep 2018, 4:18 pm   #62
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Transformer safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
Modern equipment is so safe that you can treat it however you like and it won't hurt you. Decades ago it wasn't, so you had to be a bit careful, but if you were it wouldn't hurt you back then either. So perhaps the major result of all the safety improvements, in terms of electric shock at least, has simply been 'dumbing down' ? I honestly don't know if there's any truth in this though. Does anyone ?

Cheers,

GJ
No I don't know but I think you make a very good point (in bold). There is far less knowledge of basic (like fitting a plug) electrical practice as a result of 'elf an safety'. I'm not knocking the health and safety regs because some people worked in very dangerous conditions but sometimes I think they have gone too far. It would be interesting to see the statistics of say 50 years ago of death by electrocution and those of today.
Old 28th Sep 2018, 4:29 pm   #63
AC/HL
Dekatron

People were more wary of that fangled "Lectrickery" stuff then. It bit if you got too close, just like the then common open fire did. Most accidents aren't fatal though, and there was more of a "won't do that again" attitude than today's litigious and instantly broadcast one. It's inconceivable that there were less accidents overall though. The risk to us is that the old standards and attitudes, that we accept, are now judged by modern attitudes. You can't uninvent things.
Old 30th Sep 2018, 6:31 am   #64
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Just to show how times have changed, I have a manual for a 1950s amateur radio transmitter made by a British company which states -"Shocks: If shocks are felt on transmitter cabinet (no earth lead on rig) reverse mains plug in mains to cure this trouble".

This is a device that used over 1000V DC on the power amplifier anode!

Cheers

Roger

Last edited by G3VKM_Roger; 30th Sep 2018 at 6:35 am. Reason: Quote changed
Old 6th Oct 2018, 10:53 pm   #65
1100 man
Octode

I realise the thread has drifted away from 'transformer safety' to general electrical safety but here is a picture of the electric fire I declined to fit a new mains lead to.
There is no switch and the mains lead goes straight to the element. There is minimal guarding over the bare element which is easily accessible with a finger.

It would be perfectly feasible for it to be plugged in to a single pole mains socket with live and neutral reversed. The heater would be off but the element would still be live!

The ceramic casing which contains the spirals is also cracked in half.

So my own view was I would not be happy for 'normal' non electrically aware people to be using it.

Cheers
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0706.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	170437   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0708.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	170438