UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2019, 7:57 pm   #1
Ewan fane
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vintage Bush radio.

Hi my name is Ewan. While cleaning up my grandad's old shed, we located an old Bush radio lying abandoned. It wasn’t working so it is currently in a repair shop. The radio is a Bush type BI 21. It was made in Ireland. It most likely came from the old Bush factory in Dublin. The repair man said that it could be from around the 1940's. It is a valve radio. I was looking all over the internet but was unable to find out anything about it. Has anyone heard of these radios or do they know anything about them mainly to do with its history and value?
Old 17th Jun 2019, 9:54 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Vintage Bush radio.

I'll hazard a guess that BI denotes Bush Ireland.

As usual pictures of the set inside and out, along with details of the valves fitted will help with identification.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Jun 2019, 9:20 am   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Some information about Bush Ireland at this website.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hers...mpany_id=16679
Old 18th Jun 2019, 9:45 am   #4
Cobaltblue

I suggest contacting Mike Izycky http://www.bushradio.co.uk/

He has not uploaded the Bush Ireland Tab yet but I expect he already has some of the information to hand.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 18th Jun 2019, 3:19 pm   #5
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

I'm familiar with some Bush Ireland models. However photos are needed.
Old 18th Jun 2019, 3:45 pm   #6
ekjdm14
Banned

That Bush radio website is an interesting read, I hadn't realised the significance of my SAC35 really but it seems to be from a period of change and quite a rare set. Would definitely be good to see photos of the OP's set & learn what the valve line-up is.

Also, not to cast aspersions on any repair business since good vintage technicians are growing ever fewer & it can be a thankless occupation, but if it happens to use a valuable output valve like an AC044 then it'd be wise to ascertain that it is indeed present and functional. I have a feeling it was a shady repairman who replaced the one in my set with a battery valve before handing back the set to it's owner :/
Old 18th Jun 2019, 4:08 pm   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

You have joined the right place Ewan, sorry I could not have helped you direct via your emails to me.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 11:26 am   #8
Ewan fane
Retired Dormant Member

Default Valve replacement

Hi there, I am currently having this radio fixed in a repair shop however I was asked to buy a valve for it. I was wondering if anything else looks like it needs replacing. The one on the front right is a EZ40 valve while the center and front left valves are EBC41 valves. The back right is a EL41 valve. And I am unsure of what the back left is, if anyone could could help identify it. Other than that I think the entire front row needs to be replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E4B7477-C17E-4F56-AE70-DB93ACCB70E8.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	185641   Click image for larger version

Name:	B192DF27-7EE2-4333-8B75-838B8E492453.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	185642   Click image for larger version

Name:	286151BF-6E58-496E-9A73-614CEBE79878.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	185643  
Old 25th Jun 2019, 11:30 am   #9
paulsherwin

Default Re: Valve replacement

Valves are actually rarely faulty in old radios, and you can't tell much by looking at them unless they have obviously gone to air (in which case they will have a white milky internal coating). Most faults are the result of failed wax capacitors.

I don't know anything about the arrangements you have made to have this radio repaired, but you should be aware that few mainstream electronics repairers working today have much experience of this technology.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 11:40 am   #10
Ewan fane
Retired Dormant Member

Alright thanks, I know the guy repairing it though and he does a lot of vintage repairs I do trust the guy however he said that some of the valves were not working so I assumed it would be the ones that are very dimly lit.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 11:40 am   #11
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

More likely to need some capacitors replaced, which will test fine on ordinary test gear.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 11:44 am   #12
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan fane View Post
Alright thanks, I know the guy repairing it though and he does a lot of vintage repairs I do trust the guy however he said that some of the valves were not working so I assumed it would be the ones that are very dimly lit.
If you trust the repairer, why are you seeking advice on here? The repairer should be able to tell you what needs replacing and why.

Some valves do light dimly to the extent that the glow can only be seen in the dark. This is just a simple functional check though. Proper testing involves taking voltage readings to check how components are performing.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 11:48 am   #13
paulsherwin

There is nothing unusual about the appearance of the valves in the photos, but as I said above, that doesn't mean very much.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 11:59 am   #14
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

If the repairer knows that some valves are not working then presumably he knows and can tell you which valves these are? If not, then he probably does not know what he is doing - however many vintage 'repairs' he has done.

Having two EBC41 valves in a radio would be unusual, although I suppose it could be that it uses push-pull. If you tell us what it is then we may be able to help.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 12:04 pm   #15
ms660
Dekatron

From what I can see, the receiver has the Bush look about it, the valve looks to be a 6C9, the original would probably been a ECH41 or ECH42.

Lawrence.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 12:32 pm   #16
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
If you trust the repairer, why are you seeking advice on here? The repairer should be able to tell you what needs replacing and why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8HQP Dave View Post
If the repairer knows that some valves are not working then presumably he knows and can tell you which valves these are? If not, then he probably does not know what he is doing - however many vintage 'repairs' he has done.
Couldn't agree more strongly with the above!

Some basic details like the radio make and model are essential here.

Two of the photos in the first Post are too dark to make out anything although the bulbs appear to be working - the third photo just shows a typical chassis in need of some cleaning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
From what I can see, the receiver has the Bush look about it ...
Here is a photo of my Bush DAC90A - the layout seems very similar: -

Click image for larger version

Name:	DAC90A_Snip.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	185646
Old 25th Jun 2019, 12:42 pm   #17
Duke_Nukem
Octode

If someone is used to doing vintage repairs then they should know sources for replacement parts and not simply expect the customer to go sort it out for them!?

TTFN,
Jon
Old 25th Jun 2019, 1:34 pm   #18
kalee20
Dekatron

Let us know the make and the model.

As others have said, it would be highly unusual to use TWO type EBC41 valves. (It almost certainly is not push-pull, because the EZ40 rectifier is not powerful enough to supply two EL41 output valves - and you list these types above).

Your repair man, if he knows his job, will be able to source any valves needed. It's possible that one is working but weak, in which case I suppose he might recommend that you change it. If he has one, he can demonstrate the improvement; if he doesn't, and thinks that perhaps you might not go with the cost, then perhaps he wouldn't buy one on spec in case you say no, though TBH it's unlikely that any of the valves in this would cost more than £10.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 1:46 pm   #19
snowman_al
Octode

^ +1 I agree.

It is almost certainly a Bush, but cannot be a DACxx as the valves mentioned are all 6.3 volt E series and the valves are not in-line.
The chassis looks like an AC 31 or AC 41 with an extra valve, so likely an export model, an ESB41 or the like perhaps? So ECH42, EF41, EBC41, EL41 and EZ40?
Old 25th Jun 2019, 1:53 pm   #20
paulsherwin

I expect it's a Bush Ireland model.
Closed Thread