UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2020, 12:41 am   #1
eddymartin
Diode

Default Sanyo G2003 music centre. Connecting to amplifier.

My daughter has a Sanyo G2003 music centre.

She wants to play her records on it through a modern amplifier.

What I want to know is, if the output from this model will be ok to feed into an amp with no loss of sound?

I am ignorant of what is needed to link up this machine to say a DENON amp type PMA 600NE for example.

Many thanks for your interest and hopefully help.

I have tried searching on internet but as its okd I ca find nothing.

Have a good day.

Edward
Old 31st Jan 2020, 2:08 am   #2
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: Please help me, if possible

There seems to be a 5 pin DIN socket on the back of the Sanyo which has a 'Record out' connection.

I assume that you could connect that to an Audio input on the Denon amplifier.

I would start with the 'Aux' input. You will need a suitable cable.
Old 31st Jan 2020, 2:12 am   #3
Silicon
Nonode

The Sanyo has speaker outputs and it may have a headphone output socket.

Does it play records?
Old 31st Jan 2020, 4:41 am   #4
ajgriff
Nonode

You can use the 5 pin DIN tape recorder socket to obtain a line output signal from the Sanyo suitable for connection to the AUX phono socket inputs of the Denon. You'll need a cable similar to this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Metre-5...YAAOSw9a5XPvW2

It'll be necessary to use the correct pair of phono plugs (rec out) to connect to the amplifier AUX input. This link provides some guidance from which you might deduce that a suitable cable with only two phono plugs would be more appropriate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector

You'll need to check the configuration of the Sanyo's DIN tape socket before buying the cable. The first diagram in the Wikipedia link shows some of the different types. The Sanyo's is most likely to be the fifth (180 deg) in the Wiki diagram but it might be the fourth (240 deg) in which case you'll need a different cable with a different DIN plug from the one I've linked to.

Once connected everything should work well with the volume levels you'd expect however I don't particularly see the advantage of playing records through a 'modern' amplifier. Why not just connect the Sanyo to a decent pair of speakers?

I also note that the Denon has a moving magnet (MM) cartridge input so it would also be possible to wire the Sanyo's turntable directly to the Denon assuming that the Sanyo is fitted with an MM cartridge but that would be more of a task and would really require some experience of such things.

Ask if you get stuck.

Alan
Old 31st Jan 2020, 10:30 am   #5
Viscount
Heptode

Default Re: Sanyo G2003 music centre. Connecting to amplifier.

Yes I was also wondering what was wrong with the existing Sanyo amp?
Old 31st Jan 2020, 12:40 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

One of these is currently listed for sale at £350-00. If there is nothing wrong with the amplifier on this, there is little or no point in connecting another stereo amplifier.
It's highly unlikely any difference will be heard. To upgrade this unit, get a decent pair of S/H speakers for around £50-00.
Old 4th Feb 2020, 6:07 pm   #7
eddymartin
Diode

Thanks Silicon.
Thanks ajgriff.

I think I may be over thinking this.

Your comment "Once connected everything should work well with the volume levels you'd expect however
I don't particularly see the advantage of playing records through a 'modern' amplifier.

Why not just connect the Sanyo to a decent pair of speakers?"

She has done this, I think I can use the phono plugs at back to input cd player and TV-out via DAC converter.

Expensive modern amp may NOT be needed.

Many thanks
Edward

Hello Viscount, thanks you may be right.
I am going to try that.

I appreciate your time.
Edward

Thanks Edward.
Old 4th Feb 2020, 8:16 pm   #8
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddymartin View Post
She has done this, I think I can use the phono plugs at back to input cd player and TV-out via DAC converter.
Take care here Edward. The only photo I can find of the G2003's back panel is attached. If these are the only connectors then the phono sockets are outputs for the speakers. If you want to connect a CD player or other source you'll need to use the DIN socket's AUX IN connections along the lines already mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sanyo G2003.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	198409  
Old 5th Feb 2020, 2:11 pm   #9
eddymartin
Diode

Thanks ajgriff.

It may well come to that.

Appreciate your time.

Edward
Old 5th Feb 2020, 2:20 pm   #10
eddymartin
Diode

Thanks.

Does this mean that I can connect phono out of the cd player to 5 pin din input on Sanyo [as aux in]?

Edward
Old 5th Feb 2020, 3:22 pm   #11
ajgriff
Nonode

Exactly that and having enhanced the photo I can see that it is a 180 deg DIN socket (see post #4). Just a case of identifying which pair of connections is IN (AUX) and which is OUT (REC) when you've acquired a suitable cable.

Alan
Old 6th Feb 2020, 8:41 pm   #12
eddymartin
Diode

Alan,

That's very kind of you, that gives me a sporting chance when I return to Sussex in late March, doing this long distance is hard.

Keep well, appreciate your knowledge sharing.

Edward
Old 7th Feb 2020, 9:28 am   #13
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Years ago, when I had a Sharp SG500E music centre, which, like your Sanyo, only had a 5-pn 180 degree DIN socket for aux-in and out, I made up a switch box (no idea what happened to it, b.t.w.), which allowed me to select one of three external sound sources, mainly to allow me to connect a CD player, but also a second Cassette player or recorder at the touch of a button. I used 2 x RCA (Phono) sockets for the CD, selecting by trial and error a resistance value to put in series with the CD player's output so that the sound level from that was similar to that from the internal sources at the same volume setting. This was done, using ordinary music Cds, LPs, & Cassettes, though it would obviously have been more precise had I used test discs and tapes. I made up the switch box in a small metal case from Cricklewood Electronics, using a standard 3-way mechanical push-button switch assembly I'd bought as a spare part for an Alba stereogram, for which it, in the end, wasn't needed.
Old 8th Feb 2020, 8:24 pm   #14
ben
Dekatron

I am sure one could repurpose some of those scart switch boxes (which these days should mostly be redundant to the average Joe) for audio input selector boxes.
Old 8th Feb 2020, 10:00 pm   #15
Luxman1050
Octode

Just get yourself a nice pair of vintage Bowers & Wilkins speakers they will sound a treat on the system. Can pick up a decent set for around £100. Just make sure you match the ohm ratings of the speakers to the music system.
Old 26th Feb 2020, 12:24 pm   #16
eddymartin
Diode

Ben,

I never thought of that, thank you

I'll ponder.

Chris,

How does this help, she has a set of speakers with her system.

It's getting the other stuff into the system, I don't understand, not my forte. thanks.

Edward
Old 27th Feb 2020, 12:15 pm   #17
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Chris,

How does this help, she has a set of speakers with her system.

It's getting the other stuff into the system, I don't understand, not my forte. thanks.

Edward
I think Chris was suggesting that a decent pair of speakers would make a massive improvement. The speakers as originally supplied will be, by far, the weakest part of the system. As to "other stuff", and after all these many Posts, I still do not understand what you mean by this - what "other stuff"?
Old 27th Feb 2020, 12:58 pm   #18
Station X

This thread started with the OP wanting to connect the output from a music centre to a modern amplifier. No mention was made as to whether the speakers would be changed or the existing speakers connected to the new amplifier.

The aim was to play records with no mention being made as to whether the music centre's other audio sources such as radio and cassette player? were also to be played through the modern amplifier.

This is probably why references to CD Players and SCART switches have crept in.

We need clarification as to what the OP intends to do and what he hopes to achieve by it.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Feb 2020, 2:18 pm   #19
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff
Once connected everything should work well with the volume levels you'd expect however I don't particularly see the advantage of playing records through a 'modern' amplifier. Why not just connect the Sanyo to a decent pair of speakers?

Expensive modern amp may NOT be needed.

Many thanks
Edward
I think this quote from Edward early on in the thread indicates the direction of travel.

Alan
Old 29th Feb 2020, 3:57 pm   #20
eddymartin
Diode

My apologies, one and all.

My daughter lives in Hastings and I live in Spain.

She likes her music centre that plays her vinyl.

She has a cd player, I'm not sure it's attached to anything.

She has a TV as well.

I am trying from afar and with little knowledge to provide her with choice, ideally, keep her music centre and add TV, cd player and any other input that might happen and hear it through her speakers.

This is why I keep meandering from one idea to the next because she is not technical [or speedy at replying] and I am doing it all by guesswork because I am not in situ to do trial and error with choices.

I will be back home, hopefully, virus permitting and then spend a day trying to understand her system and what can be tried/achieved.

One last important point as I am sure you will all appreciate, I am trying to let her decide what can and can't be done.

I appreciate ALL your help but its hard to provide accurate info without me being there.

Have a good weekend, will be in touch when I have a better idea of where she/we want to go.

Thanks

Edward
Closed Thread