UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2020, 3:57 pm   #1
thepickles
Diode

Default Garrard 86SB Mk2

Hi All,
I have just picked up this Garrard 86SB Mk2,
I would realy like to know all about it and how to service it and cartridge and stylus suggestions, quickly hooked it up and all seems ok.

TIA

Cheers
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deck.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	199753  
Old 27th Feb 2020, 1:04 am   #2
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Garrard 86SB Mk2

Looks like you have a Shure M75-6 cartridge which was the bottom of the Shure M75 range with a spherical stylus. The more expensive M75 cartridges had an additional plastic moulding around them so I don't know whether an M75EJ or M75ED stylus would fit but, if they did, they would probably be an improvement.

Some people around here are fans of the Audio Technica AT91 or AT95 but, having recently tried my AT95 again, I'd say that I'd prefer something different personally.
Old 27th Feb 2020, 7:59 am   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

More exotic Shure styli will fit the 6S body, but the arm is really only good enough to support the EJ - the ED is too delicate.
Old 27th Feb 2020, 9:17 am   #4
thepickles
Diode

Hi
Thanks for the replys,
The Cartridge is a Shure M75CS what stylus do people recommend?

TIA
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200227_080233.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	199773  
Old 27th Feb 2020, 1:56 pm   #5
Beobloke
Heptode

I still maintain that the 86SB Mk2 is one of the 'sleeper' Garrard models and can perform astonishingly well when in good fettle.

The arm is more than capable of taking a decent modern cartridge so, unless you;re wedded to the Shure for nostalgia reasons, I'd stick something like a new Audio Technica AT-VM95E into it (£40)
Old 27th Feb 2020, 9:06 pm   #6
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
I still maintain that the 86SB Mk2 is one of the 'sleeper' Garrard models and can perform astonishingly well when in good fettle.

The arm is more than capable of taking a decent modern cartridge so, unless you;re wedded to the Shure for nostalgia reasons, I'd stick something like a new Audio Technica AT-VM95E into it (£40)
Seconded. I recently got myself a VM95SH for use in a Rega RB700 arm, and its a smashing thing.
From £30 for the basic conical stylus up to around £180 (or less shopping around) for the top of the range Shibata profile stylus its a cartridge for all reasons including a 78 stylus, all interchangeable. Tracking at 2g so they are suitable for earlier arms. I found also that the styli will fit into the earlier AT95 bodies too. And I am fairly certain they will also be useful in the AT based Linn "K" series.

Worth a note folks, the VM95 range has replaced the AT91, At93, And AT95 ranges which are now discontinued in the At line up.
Old 28th Feb 2020, 4:10 pm   #7
thepickles
Diode

Hi all.

Thanks for the replies, plenty for me to think about.
Closed Thread