UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2018, 2:30 pm   #1
Hughesy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pioneer CT-F500 Pinch roller

Hi, just a quick question...Can anyone post a pic of where the pinch roller arm spring locates on my Pioneer ct-f 500?
Ive had a look at the manual online but it doesnt show any real detail. One end locates onto the arm itself but i cant see where the other fits.
Thanks in advance.
Hughesy
Old 26th Nov 2018, 6:27 am   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Pioneer CT-F500 Pinch roller

Usually, the other end of the spring, will have a slight hook shape and this locates into one of several holes in the chassis nearby. This sets the pressure of the pinch roller. If it's been removed from the hole, perhaps from a previous de-assembly, then you'll have to try out picking one of the holes until you achieve the correct tension.

However, if someone has forced the hook end away from one of the holes, the hook may have broken off.

Some manufacturers design a tension post or bar instead of a range of anchor holes and then, the post or bar has to be physically bent.

However, this type of anchor fixing is normally only found on budget machines and over bending the post or bar can break.

If you can take a picture of the area, it may help us to guide you better.

Tony

Last edited by camtechman; 26th Nov 2018 at 6:37 am.
Old 26th Nov 2018, 9:14 am   #3
Hughesy
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Tony.

Thank you for your response. I will have another look around and may post a pic if i cannot work it out.
Old 26th Nov 2018, 9:44 am   #4
pichacker
Hexode

Anything on this one help you?

Doesn't show too much of the deck but a brief glimpse of PW at 18:57.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhlxjAtvqKY

Last edited by pichacker; 26th Nov 2018 at 9:52 am.
Old 26th Nov 2018, 11:49 am   #5
Hughesy
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Pichacker,
Been watching this vid for last few days lol
Thanks for responding

Last edited by Hughesy; 26th Nov 2018 at 12:01 pm.
Old 26th Nov 2018, 1:10 pm   #6
camtechman
Nonode

Hughesy,

My first advice was based on the usual assembly of a general shoe box type cassette recorder.

Now that I have acquired the Pioneer Service Manual and studied the assembly of the pinch wheel & spring assembly & other parts (Page 7) it will be necessary for you to study the spring, pinch wheel assembly and the shaft/post they fit onto.

In the off position the spring causes the pinch wheel ass'm' to retract away from the capstan on the flywheel to a inactive position and only becomes active when the play button is pressed and the spring pushes the pinch wheel ass'm onto the flywheel's capstan.

Although this description sounds very complicated, it's a really simple: In the off position the pinch wheel assembly and spring is swung away from the capstan and: In the play position the opposite happens.

In reality, it only takes about 5 mins to fit but 30mins to write the description ! LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pioneer F500 Pinch Wheel & Spring.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	173430  
Old 26th Nov 2018, 1:23 pm   #7
camtechman
Nonode

p.s. You can get the Pioneer Service Manual, F.O.C. from hifiengine. All you have to do is register & sign in.

Here's the link: www.hifiengine.com
Old 26th Nov 2018, 4:13 pm   #8
Hughesy
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again Tony, great info!
Closed Thread