UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jun 2016, 11:29 am   #1
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Default RESTORATION: Hunts CB-2U Capacitor Analyzer

Thanks to Jim (G4XWDJim) I now have this lovely old piece of test gear that I am in the process of restoring. Here's how the chassis looked when I got it:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...pictureid=3498

After derusting the chassis with Evaporust (shameless plug - not affiliated in any way but this stuff is great), I had something decent to work with:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...pictureid=3499

After that was done I straightened the bent chassis.

Now I am starting to clean and refit the various parts:

I cleaned the 6E5 valve and repainted the shield. I also derusted the retaining clip.

I checked the transformer windings, which are fine, and then cleaned & polished the shell. I applied some 'Liquid Tape' to the wires where they enter the transformer to give them stability; I didn't want a wire breaking off there!

The valve holders were then freed from the old wiring, cleaned and then refitted. The 1V valve base has an aluminium housing so that was cleaned, polished and refitted.

I cleaned and applied switch cleaner to the central potentiometer. I have refitted it but the tin cover was rusty so I derusted that and it currently is primed and awaiting a chrome top coat.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...pictureid=3500

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...pictureid=3501

I will post more as I progress.

Edit: Mmmm - I was hoping the images would show up instead of links but I've tried 'attaching' them in the past and they all show up at the bottom of the post so I can't add text between each image. Is there a way to do that?

Last edited by Ti Pwun; 10th Jun 2016 at 11:35 am.
Old 12th Jun 2016, 5:45 pm   #2
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Default Re: RESTORATION: Hunts CB-2U Capacitor Analyzer

Did a bit more work on this:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...pictureid=3507

All being well I'll have a valve soon.

I could really do with a decent schematic with component values and wattages, etc. The one I have is usable but I don't know if anything in this is original so a bit more info than what I already have would be useful.

For example, I'm reading approximately 1k on the short resistor that is installed and approx 100k on the longer one that I have yet to reinstall. How far out are they, I'm wondering? I'm hoping to re-use them.

The 'chrome' on the pots is just primer and chrome paint top coat but I think they look fine. I only have one tier of the rotary switch installed but I should have finished cleaning the other soon.
Old 12th Jun 2016, 6:07 pm   #3
threeseven
Octode

Have you / will you apply anything to the chassis to prevent future corrosion?
Old 12th Jun 2016, 6:19 pm   #4
Ti Pwun
Heptode

At the moment I am just sorting out the parts and putting them back in for safe keeping, but before I start on the wiring I will remove everything and apply a clear lacquer to protect the chassis.
Old 12th Jun 2016, 9:05 pm   #5
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Looking good Jon. There's some hours gone into that. Will be great to see it all back together and in use. I recently purchased a Heathkit version which I have yet to tackle. Great work.

Graham
Old 12th Jun 2016, 9:34 pm   #6
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Thanks Graham. Seems like it takes forever because of the labour and then the waiting for paint to dry, etc., but I have several projects on the go and this one is starting to take shape now.

Jon.
Old 12th Jun 2016, 9:54 pm   #7
Andrewausfa
Octode

Jon, as it's a licenced version of the 'universal' voltage version of the Solar CB1-60, have you asked on the US Antique Radio forum? There is an old thread from 2006 on there where a parts list is mentioned. Someone might have it on their PC.

Andrew
Old 12th Jun 2016, 11:08 pm   #8
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Thanks Andrew. I did know that but didn't see an old thread showing components. I knew some parts were missing and that the transformer is larger than it should be so I did want more info. I have already downloaded a schematic but I'll do some more research. Can't do anything until next week but I'll see what I can find then. If there is an article showing component values/ratings, I hope to find it.

Thanks again,

Jon.
Old 13th Jun 2016, 8:46 am   #9
Andrewausfa
Octode

Hi Jon,

This is the thread, it seems at one stage there was a parts list uploaded by someone to the sites gallery. It might be worth a question to the guys over there.

Good luck anyway.

Andrew

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...pic.php?t=3625
Old 16th Jun 2016, 7:47 pm   #10
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Thanks for that, Andrew. I'll put the feelers out over there.

Jon.
Closed Thread