UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Apr 2016, 2:32 pm   #1
Toothy Chris
Triode

Default GEC (for GPO) 27A Receiver/Measuring Set - Anyone know about these?

Forgive me colleagues, for it is many many years since my last post...

Many years ago I bought a 'GEC 27A Radio Receiver' (MW and LW), which was designed for the then GPO. Reading the instructions in the lid, it was used to detect/measure electrostatic and electromagnetic radiation, on the MW and LW bands.

Looking on-line I have only found one reference to one of these, but the details seems a bit vague:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/gec_gpo...eiver_27a.html

I would be interested to hear from anyone who may be able to supply a bit more information about when these were made, how many might have been made (I am guessing not many), and exactly what they were used for.

In addition to being able to receive MW and LW stations, it also has a built in oscillator, covering the same frequencies, although the purpose of this is not clear, as it does not seem to have an o/p - it just seems to go 'over the top' of the received station/signal.

As you can see from the attached photo, this one was last calibrated in 1980, so I guess it was decommissioned shortly after that. I have not found anything to date it, but I'm guessing late 50s or early 60s

Many thanks,

Toothy Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160427_124854.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	123527  
Old 2nd May 2016, 9:49 pm   #2
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: GEC (for GPO) 27A Receiver/Measuring Set - Anyone know about these?

Something to do with investigating interference, perhaps?
Old 3rd May 2016, 8:38 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

It's an interference chasing set. The sort of thing brought along by someone sent out to investigate a complaint of interference.

The oscillator is used to establish a beat with any unmodulated carrier found, because otherwise on an AM set they are silent, and sometimes you can hear some identifiable characteristics brought out this way.

Later equipment like the 40A set (made by Eddystone) had wider coverage and an array of internal ferrite rods, and a step attenuator set for much more serious measurement of levels.

David
Old 14th Jun 2016, 10:11 pm   #4
Toothy Chris
Triode

Thanks David,

I found out from an old colleague, that this very much resembled the later PI FIM - 22/41 which was used by the DTI/Home Office/Radio Authority/Ofcom, to measure field strength, and as you say, to locate the sources of interference. Your comment about the unmodulated AM signals makes perfect sense, and I can now see why the internal oscillator would be required.

Ironically, my colleague and I were both involved in student radio stations, which were then only on MW, and where the electromagnetic signal (it was broadcast using inductive loop aerials) had to be below a certain threshold at the site boundry. So one of these GEC devices could have been used to ensure compliance with that restriction, in the early days of student broadcasting, in the mid 70s.

Chris

Last edited by Toothy Chris; 14th Jun 2016 at 10:19 pm.
Closed Thread