UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2018, 11:28 am   #1
m_rawdin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dial type?

So I've seen this phone for sale, I was wondering about the dial. The finger stop looks a little strange and isn't in the same place as a No 10/12/21 dial, does anyone know what type of dial this is? Also the phone is missing one of the screws that secures the front to the back, what type of screws are these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180824-112245_eBay.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	167997  
Old 24th Aug 2018, 12:27 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Dial type

It is an AT&E telephone made at the then Strowger Works, Edge Lane in Liverpool. AT&E was a formerly the Automatic Telephone Manufacturing Company set up in Jan 1912 by British Insulated Helsby Cables who acquired the 'Strowger patent rights' for the UK from Automatic Electric in the USA. The dial on the telephone is an AT&E Type 24C dial made by AT&E to an Automatic Electric design. The GPO did not adopt that pattern of dial when they adopted the Strowger system as the UK standard for the public network. The mechanism is very similar to a GPO 'Dial No 1' the 'mercedes' dial used on the first auto exchanges in the UK network. See here for identifying dials. Note this webpage shows the dial as being a 24 - the AT&E Dial No 24 is slightly different. The one on the webpage should read Dial 24C.

Last edited by Pellseinydd; 24th Aug 2018 at 12:32 pm.
Old 24th Aug 2018, 4:28 pm   #3
m_rawdin
Retired Dormant Member

That's great, thanks for your help
Old 24th Aug 2018, 10:04 pm   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

It's very similar to the Siemens Bros 'Neophone' 366 model made in the UK from 1931 to the 1950s. The Siemens model doesn't have the 'spit-cup' mouthpiece.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nephone.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	168033  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 24th Aug 2018, 10:10 pm   #5
m_rawdin
Retired Dormant Member

Does anyone know what size screws hold the front and back together? There's one at the top and one at the bottom?
Old 24th Aug 2018, 10:21 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Dial type?

2BA at a guess, being similar to the base mounting screws on a 232 instrument, of which they are constructionally similar. But it's just a guess...

If I think on I'll ratch my Neophone out from down the shed tomorrow and have a look.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 4:44 pm   #7
russell_w_b
Dekatron

It's 2BA from O/D thread size: 0.185". Here's a picture of it, with the collar that sits inside the telephone case.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screw.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	168070  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 27th Aug 2018, 12:55 pm   #8
m_rawdin
Retired Dormant Member

That's great cheers, do you know anyone that sells these?
Old 27th Aug 2018, 10:17 pm   #9
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_rawdin View Post
'do you know anyone that sells these?'
I'm afraid not. A normal 2BA of the same length would do at a pinch as long as you remembered to withdraw it fully before attempting to open the case. If you're handy with a Myford lathe or similar, or know someone who is, you could either make a couple or turn down continuously threaded ones.

Just a tip, which you're probably well aware of. Never throw out any old nuts, bolts or washers. I'm not up for individually sorting such-like but I have a 'scratting box' consisting of thirty-odd years of accumulated salvage.

But none of the bolts in question, unfortunately.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 28th Aug 2018, 12:07 am   #10
emeritus
Dekatron

As i don't have a lathe, I have removed unwanted thread from screws and bolts by putting the bolt in the chuck of a cordless drill, making sure it is gripped true in the chuck, and then offering up the portion to be reduced to a grinding wheel. For small screws I have removed the metal by clamping the drill in a stand and removing metal by offering up a grinding disc in a minicraft-type 12V drill.
Old 28th Aug 2018, 9:29 am   #11
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
'...and then offering up the portion to be reduced to a grinding wheel.'
That sounds like a good plan. I was going to suggest a lathe and a flat file held against the bit to be reduced. If it's not too stupid a question, do you hold it against a static grinding wheel or one that is revolving? I can see speed issues with the latter where it would either take ages to grind down or a very, very short time indeed!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread