UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2018, 9:08 pm   #1
m_rawdin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dial slightly off centre

My dial on my 232 is very slightly off centre, it's not by much but it's annoying my OCD. I have tried loosening and retightening the centre screw in the dial but to ko affect. How do I get it lined up perfectly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180821_210045-2016x1512.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	167924  
Old 21st Aug 2018, 9:20 pm   #2
terrybull
Octode

Default Re: Dial slightly off centre

Is it the correct dial?
Old 21st Aug 2018, 9:25 pm   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Try undoing the centre screw and removing the finger-wheel. Then remove the wire clip that holds the number-plate in. Then try turning the number-plate slightly anti-clockwise then replace the wire clip followed by the finger wheel ensuring the finger-wheel is clamped down centrally. The '0' hole on the finger-wheel seems to be slightly under the finger-stop. Are all the parts from the same dial or have bits been swapped?
Old 21st Aug 2018, 9:38 pm   #4
m_rawdin
Retired Dormant Member

As far as I know they are all original, I bought the phone off a fella who had it stored in his loft for years. I can't be 100% sure anything hasn't been swapped, it's only a couple of mm out but I can't help seeing it
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 8:15 am   #5
davidw
Heptode

Looks to me as if you have a "bitsa" dial. The number ring looks to be from a plastic dial which has had a metal finger plate attached. This would account for the holes not quite lining up.
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 8:32 am   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I just Googled 323 phones, "Images" and most square front on images show the dial misplace by a couple mm. I would have thought there would have been some adjustment.
John.
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 8:41 am   #7
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Knowing nothing about 'phones I just observe that the finger stop is partly covering the "0" hole.

Is there any manufacturing allowance made in the alignment for the viewing angle parallax?

Sam.
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 9:36 am   #8
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_rawdin View Post
As far as I know they are all original, I bought the phone off a fella who had it stored in his loft for years. I can't be 100% sure anything hasn't been swapped, it's only a couple of mm out but I can't help seeing it
The dial would originally have been a No 10 but over the years has been changed for a No 12 (introduced c1944) when being overhauled but that could have been 50 or 60 years ago (Doesn't time fly when you're having fun ).
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 1:09 pm   #9
m_rawdin
Retired Dormant Member

Yeah it's a No 12 dial, I just wondered if there was any adjustment could be made to the mechanism? When you shift the fingerplate a couple of mm it all lines up nicely and the 0 hole is then not partially underneath the finger stop. This is why I was wondering if it is the mechanism that needs adjusting rather than the fingerplate etc?
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 2:33 pm   #10
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw View Post
Looks to me as if you have a "bitsa" dial. The number ring looks to be from a plastic dial which has had a metal finger plate attached. This would account for the holes not quite lining up.
The original 'number-plates' were copper, enamelled with a white face and black figures known as a 'Label 149' whilst the ones with figures and letters (in red) was a 'Label 150'. These were later replaced with clear plastic versions with the figures/letters on the rear such that fingers didn't remove the figures/letters. They were known as 'Label No 314' (figures only) and 'Label 315' (letters & figures). So it is not usual to find Dials No 10 and 12 with plastic 'number-plates' as they were changed with the introduction of Subscriber Trunk Dialling from 1959 onwards. In fact the enamelled ones are now a lot rarer. The label number can usually be seen under the finger-stop. It is possible to 'adjust' the plastic number-plate very slightly as the two screws that hold the finger stop on the dial body are the only things stopping it being put in any position you want. On the enamel plates, there are two very small holes through which these screws protrude thus locating the plate precisely. But on the plastic plates, there are two parallel grooves marginally wider that allow a little more 'play. Hence my mentioning the removal of the wire clip that holds the plate to the body and seeing if it can be turned slightly.
Closed Thread