UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2017, 5:00 pm   #1
QUADGOD
Tetrode

Default SME series III height adjusting...

Hi... Following SME instructions with a Shure v15 mk3 I've made sure the arm is parallel to the record but that gives me an arm lift height of 3/4" above playing surface instead of the recommended 1/4". Is my eyesight out or? The arm is fitted to a Technics SL120 mk2.
Old 19th Oct 2017, 5:53 pm   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: SME series III height adjusting...

I think the lift is also adjustable.
Old 19th Oct 2017, 7:21 pm   #3
QUADGOD
Tetrode

I've not considered that because it's pre set in factory and should be the correct height if arm is adjusted correctly and therefore does not need adjustment apparently...
Old 19th Oct 2017, 7:36 pm   #4
sp10mk11
Octode

Isnt adjusting the arm lift height the same as on the 3009/2 ie. you loosen the locking hex nut and then turn the assembly on the threaded section up or down so the cueing height is more as you want it, you will of course have to remove the arm from its base to do this job.
Was this arm already fitted to the deck when you got it? or have you fitted it yourself?
Gary

Last edited by sp10mk11; 19th Oct 2017 at 7:47 pm.
Old 19th Oct 2017, 8:17 pm   #5
QUADGOD
Tetrode

Yes there's a small lock hex screw to loosen to adjust.. The arm was already fitted. It was exactly the height the instructions state but I noticed the arm tube was not parallel and lower at the base end. Now I've lifted it parallel ive now got extra lift height. I'm guessing that maybe there is meant to be a spacer the arm should stand on because I'm assuming the base is lower than it should be.As long as the sound quality is no different and the cartridge is ok I'm happy.
Old 20th Oct 2017, 3:53 am   #6
joebog1
Banned

There was a "lift base" available, as shown in my pic.

It is SME original. It is made from some hard plastic material that I cannot identify.

In this picture, the arm is fitted to my home made slate base. I had the same problem as you are having.

It's probably not much help, but it would be easy to hand make something that would suit. The four arm mounting holes can be traced off the mounting base, and the adjusting slot could be filed to fit the standard pattern, from what I can see the two Philips head screws ( my option, NOT origional ) are 70mm apart. I used Philips head stainless steel screws as I had them, they are fitted to wooden dowels drilled into the slate base. The whole circle diameter of the extra base is 87.5mm.

I hope this is some help

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SME_base.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	151043  
Closed Thread