UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2018, 12:52 am   #1
Zinniaritz
Triode

Default Roberts R900 as an amp

Hello, I am brand new to the forum.
I recently heard that you can plug an iPad into the DIN socket of a Roberts R900 and the radio will act as an amplifier.
This appeals to me for my iPad and keyboard and I'm tempted to buy an R900.
Does anyone have any experience of this? Does it work? Does it require any adaptations? Will it cause damage?

Charlie
Old 18th Feb 2018, 8:32 am   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Roberts r900 as an amp

Hopefully only to the ipad, its a bit modern for a Roberts. Where would you find a lead to do this?
Why not just buy the proper amp for the ipad? Then you have no worries.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 9:34 am   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

You should wire the Ipad output left and right signal wires to pins 1 and 4 on the DIN plug and the screens to pin 2. No need to join the signal wires as they are combined via 2 390 ohm resistors on the back of the socket in the radio. (according to the circuit on the Radio Museum)
You may need to tune your radio to a quiet spot on the dial or try releasing all the wave change buttons to silence the tuner section.
A lead similar to this should work, it claims the DIN end is connected as an output. https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-35...able-15m-a31xf
Pins 3 & 5 are the normal input pins for an amp so the cable may be wrong you really need to check with Maplin if it is pins 1 & 4 suitable for input to Tape recorder, or pins 3 & 5 input to Amplifier.
You need it to be pins 1 & 4.

Mike

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 18th Feb 2018 at 9:48 am.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:44 am   #4
Zinniaritz
Triode

Thank you Mike that's told me about all I needed to know.

Much appreciate your reply
Closed Thread