UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2017, 9:36 pm   #1
andrewn
Pentode

Default Zanussi 20ZA374GB TV repair

Following on from this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=131102
the TV looked destined for the tip as the microprocessor was unavailable. The only possible source for the IC was on ebay from Italy at a cost of £30. As I was unsure if a replacement would come mask programmed it seemed too much of a gamble. Recently the IC became available from a UK supplier on ebay for £13 pounds so I bought one and it works!
I was wondering how the IC could suddenly become available. They had lots in stock. I guess it must be NOS but I would have thought the IC would have only been available direct from Zanussi being a custom part. Nice to have the set working again.
Old 27th Jul 2017, 6:25 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Zanussi 20ZA374GB TV repair

Could it be that Zanussi [or their official repairers in the UK] have discontinued the set and so sold-off all their spares?

I've seen this happen quite a bit in the past - manufacturer/distributor deems a piece of kit end-of-support and clears out all their spares-stock for the model, which are snapped-up by a 'second line' support-company or small parts-distributor.
Old 27th Jul 2017, 8:12 pm   #3
andrewn
Pentode

Yes I think it probably was a repair centre selling off the spares. The set would have been discontinued a long time ago as it dates from 1986. I think the chassis was used up to about 1990 although newer versions had a different microprocessor with OSD. The IC appears to have a date code of 86 so I think its genuine old rather than a re-manufacture.
Old 30th Jul 2017, 12:08 pm   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

Re-manufacture would indeed be extremely unlikely for custom ROM processors in consumer devices.

You could have ordered the part from Italy without a risk, the ZC... number is a custom part number so in this case always preprogrammed.
Closed Thread