UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2006, 6:18 pm   #41
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: The NVCF.......

Sounds like a blast, makes me want to send a 'Wish I Were There' card to the lot of you.

Any chance of next year's event being moved to a part of the world, where the natives doesn't drive on the wrong side of the road, please?

Best regards

Frank N.

(Taking off at a mad dash...)
Old 8th May 2006, 6:28 pm   #42
JoshWard
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC-156
Sounds like a blast, makes me want to send a 'Wish I Were There' card to the lot of you.

Any chance of next year's event being moved to a part of the world, where the natives doesn't drive on the wrong side of the road, please?

Best regards

Frank N.

(Taking off at a mad dash...)
But you drive on the wrong side....
Old 8th May 2006, 7:16 pm   #43
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Like many of you I liked the new venue. True, it wasn't clamorous and glitzy but we are not a multi-national company concerned about a corporate image and I thought it had a friendly intimate feel.

Whatever place you chose for a venue for a national event is bound to be more convenient for some than others and a central location like this is a good compromise. What is important is good access which I feel was provided here in spite of the rural location. I hated picking my way through the jumble of motorways on my way to the NEC.

Car parking, well free of charge, can't ask for much better than that but the grass could be a problem in wet weather as has already been pointed out.

It was a bit crowded a peak time but so was the NEC wasn't it? Food and toilet facilities were to a good standard.

There was plenty of interest on the stalls but the star of the show, in my view, was the TV display.

This venue has my vote.

Thanks and congratulations to all who had a hand in the organisation of the event.
Old 8th May 2006, 9:30 pm   #44
slidertogrid
Octode

The marquee sounds a good idea, that way the event can stay where it is and costs shouldnt increase too much.
maybe the bring and buy could be in part of the marquee helping to offset the extra cost, just a suggestion, I had no problems myself and really enjoyed the day.
Old 8th May 2006, 10:11 pm   #45
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I have to say that, of the four or five NVCFs that I have attended, this one was by far the one I enjoyed most (as long as I don't look too closely at my finances ).

I have to admit to feeling a little bit of a fraud having been classed as an exhibitor, having merely deposited my set in the display and left it largely to sit there, occasionally returning to chat with people and try to answer questions I did, as Jon noted, pay my pennance afterwards - yes, that was me he spotted on the motorway hard shoulder on one of many stops I made to resecure the ropes holding down the Decca 1000 screen. I'm sure you will all be glad to know that it is now in my sitting room still in one piece, and having survived getting rather wet during the trip north this morning.

As hinted at above, I seem to have managed to spend all the money that I took to the NVCF, much of it on odds and ends, but items I was particularly pleased to acquire included:
Video disc player (£10) - I mean the real macho 12" sort, not those squiddly little DVD jobbies! - complete with a demo disc
- also a job lot of video discs for a fiver (mostly Star Trek)
Hunts capacitor and resistance analyser (also £10)
free-standing telephone magneto generator (£5)
various additions to my collection of Television magazines (75p each)
... and a replacement for a missing oscilloscope knob (grand sum of 50p)

I did like the venue, and must have missed the busiest times, because I didn't find it particularly crowded. I thoroughly enjoyed the TV display. Have we had a display area at previous NVCFs, 'cos I have obviously missed them if we have.

Finally, it was great to put faces to a lot of the names on this forum. Some of you were not at all as I had visualised you

I hope NVCF will find a permanent home there on the Fosse Way.
Old 8th May 2006, 11:08 pm   #46
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll
Have we had a display area at previous NVCFs, 'cos I have obviously missed them if we have.
We had a valve display a couple of years ago at one of the NEC ones, but that's the only one I'm aware of. The TV one was more impressive though, as is often the case when the exhibits are working rather than just sitting in cabinets.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 9th May 2006, 7:16 am   #47
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning
We had a valve display a couple of years ago at one of the NEC ones, but that's the only one I'm aware of. The TV one was more impressive though, as is often the case when the exhibits are working rather than just sitting in cabinets.
There was a display of vintage radio and TV at NVCF a few years ago (2001?). All sorts of rare radios including the almost legendary green round Ekco. The TV side was smaller except for Brian Summers's image orthicon camera which attracted large crowds.
Old 9th May 2006, 8:23 am   #48
Alvin
Heptode

Haven't been to an NVCF for a few years either because I was working on Sunday or no trains from London to the NEC due to weekend engineering work on the west coast line so my memory for comparison is somewhat distant but I had a most enjoyable, relaxing day. My train due in at 0958 arrived five minutes early which was fortunate as the bus left at 0959 without the driver checking that train was in so it could have been a problem but ok this time.

I thought the venue itself was absolutely fine, I was there from 10.30 - 3pm and didn't experience any congestion problems - the only minor gripe seemed to be the lack of clocks in the place.....

I spent the vast sum of £11 - a tenner on an Alba batt/mains valve portable and a quid on a wall lamp. I was interested in, coincidentaly, another Alba - a rather nice C112. I talked to the stall holder (Phil?) a couple of times but when I decided it was about time to go and there was still room in my shoulder bag and money in my pocket I went back to do the deal but he'd gone walkabout - hung around for about ten minutes but by then I was weary and the 3pm bus was due and not wanting to wait another half hour for the next one decided to head home without it....

Alvin
Old 9th May 2006, 2:29 pm   #49
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Yes, I remember reading about it in the Bulletin now that you mention it. I didn't get to that one, which is why it hadn't stuck in the memory.

The radio display in 2001 was before I had discovered the NVCF unfortunately.
Old 10th May 2006, 10:22 pm   #50
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
The next BVWS committee meeting (conference call) is on Thursday, and I will report the comments (good ad bad) from here, so keep them coming!
Any more comments for the meeting?

Paul Stenning
Old 10th May 2006, 11:09 pm   #51
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Any more comments for the meeting?
Just to reiterate that I thought the TV display was utterly fantastic and I for one would love to see it repeated - to the point where I'll shortly be looking out for a classic estate car and am likely to have a set or two as well as the PC system (which is likely to end up doing more and more over time) for any future events.

Everything else seemed fine to me, but this was my first NVCF so I've nothing to compare it with.

Regards, Kat
Old 11th May 2006, 9:35 am   #52
G0PKH - Pete
Retired Dormant Member

I didn't get to this one unfortunatey, It is the first that I missed for some time.

After hearing all the comments, I really wish I had.
Let's hope the next is as good.

Pete
Old 13th May 2006, 12:57 am   #53
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Hi all,

A belated comment - like the majority I was very happy with the venue and thought it was less crowded than the NMCM.

Good to meet some old friends and put faces to some of the new ones.

If this is to be the new home for a few years then I have no complaints.

Congratulations to the organisers and many thanks for the hard work, count me in as a volunteer next year.

Regards,
Old 13th May 2006, 9:57 pm   #54
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

It was worth my 11,000 mile round trip to the NVCF. I reaped a bounteous harvest of parts, there seemed more parts than last year. Pity we don't wear name badges so we could connect with people met on this site.

The shuttle buses could have been better syncronized with train arrival. I walked briskly out of the station to see the bus vanishing in the distance.

I was delighted to see myself on TV - 30 line Baird system?
John.
Old 14th May 2006, 7:53 am   #55
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHGibson
It was worth my 11,000 mile round trip to the NVCF. I reaped a bounteous harvest of parts, there seemed more parts than last year. Pity we don't wear name badges so we could connect with people met on this site.
I did, John as did a few others. It is a good idea
Quote:
The shuttle buses could have been better syncronized with train arrival. I walked briskly out of the station to see the bus vanishing in the distance.
Welcome to our third-world rail service!
Old 14th May 2006, 8:12 am   #56
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan
Welcome to our third-world rail service!
Jumping to conclusions there, Mike. As I said previously the bus was scheduled to leave only 2 minutes after some trains were due to arrive and in fact the one I took left a minute early but fortunately my train was 5 minutes early - the 'element of common sense' on the part of the driver that Mike Barker hoped for in the transport thread seemed sadly lacking.......and I doubt he had an accurate timepiece!

Alvin
Old 14th May 2006, 9:01 am   #57
Paul Stenning
Administrator

This is something that has been noted by the committee for improvement next year. Making the timetable 5 minutes later each way would probably cover it.

Paul Stenning
Old 15th May 2006, 12:22 pm   #58
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thumbs up Re: The NVCF.......

To concur with virtually everyone else's comments, G3LZT and I came by car, had a great day and congratulate the organisers. It was so good, why don't you arrange another in October...!

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 15th May 2006, 5:24 pm   #59
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4SPZ
..... why don't you arrange another in October...!
This has already been answered in this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8972 in this section.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread