UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2010, 4:56 pm   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fishing line = dial cord

Many have recommended using fishing line as dial cord. Don't need any at the moment but I bought some fishing line at Poundland today. 100m each of 6.5lb and 11lb.

Also a rubber mallet, useful for various assembly and dismantling jobs.
Old 7th Apr 2010, 6:06 pm   #2
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Fishing line = dial cord

Is the rubber mallet for those awkward to insert valves
Old 7th Apr 2010, 9:28 pm   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

No, for squashing to fishing line to make it fit
Old 7th Apr 2010, 9:35 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Some people are very sniffy about using standard monofilament fishing line to restring radios, but I've found it works very well. It's useful stuff to keep at the back of a drawer somewhere and costs very little. You can use it threaded through a big sewing needle to mend backpacks, tool bags, car seats etc. (You can also catch fish with it of course )

Paul
Old 7th Apr 2010, 11:06 pm   #5
maitiustandun
Pentode

hi all, i have used fly line , its light and easier to handle in arkward corners when re -threading, also very strong and hardwearing . regards mait.
Old 7th Apr 2010, 11:12 pm   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

I successfully restrung a Cossor 500 with fishing line (backing line, not the monofilament stuff).

But it didn't work with a DAC90a, because the line kept riding over itself around the tuning control shaft. So I used 'proper' RS dial drive cord, with the glass-fibre core.

I'll definitely use the fishing line where possible - my reel of glass-fibre cord is a finite resource!
Old 8th Apr 2010, 9:11 am   #7
vinrads
Dekatron

I have done loads of re stringing in my time using the old RS green cord but lately the nylon cord ,i find the most useful tool is a pair of forceps the ones that lock to hold the cord ,and when done a spot of super glue on the knots, regards Mick.

Last edited by Station X; 8th Apr 2010 at 3:52 pm. Reason: typo
Old 8th Apr 2010, 11:52 am   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Fishing line = dial cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
Also a rubber mallet, useful for various assembly and dismantling jobs.
In actual point of fact, a rubber mallet can be a useful diagnostic tool! For example, if you have a problem that you believe is of an intermittent mechanical nature. Alternatively, once a repair is completed and you know / suspect that it will get a 'hard life', e.g. being bounced around in a vehicle, then this affords a quick and effective means of providing an elementary vibration & shock test.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 8th Apr 2010, 6:59 pm   #9
G4XWDJim
Octode

Has anyone come up with a good replacement stranded wire for Eddystone receivers.
I bought some fishing 'Trace Wire' which I thought would be good but in use its rolling resistance was much higher then the genuine wire and slowed down the ability of the dial pointer to spin from end to end.
The original is .012" thick and the trace wire was .021" thick and with fewer strands. I've got a couple of Eddystones to restring and would like to get them as good as new. Not being into fishing I know little about what's available in that field.

Jim
Old 8th Apr 2010, 10:28 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Might be worth subscribing to the Eddystone User Group forum here:

http://www.eddystoneusergroup.org.uk/

If anyone knows what to use and where to get it, Graeme Wormald should do.

You'll find manuals and technical info on the EUG site too, including advice on re-stringing. The tuning mechanisms on some - if not most, Eddystones, is quite complex.
I think you might be better off posting a message on this forum to Eddystone Dial cord so that Eddystone aficionados, of which there are several on this forum, stand a better chance of seeing it.

Best of luck!

David,
G4EBT
Old 9th Apr 2010, 12:05 am   #11
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

They do have Stocks of spares which may include cord.

On my EA12 I used thin PIKE line and that worked well.

Mike
Old 9th Apr 2010, 2:45 pm   #12
G4XWDJim
Octode

Thanks David and Michael. My trace line was also called a pike line but perhaps there are different thicknesses.

I've just joined the Eddystone group and I'll ask Graeme who I do know moderately well. Don't know why I didn't think of him before and yes I will try a new posting on here as you suggest.

Many thanks,

Jim
Old 1st May 2010, 11:02 pm   #13
GJR 11L
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitiustandun View Post
hi all, i have used fly line , its light and easier to handle in arkward corners when re -threading, also very strong and hardwearing . regards mait.

Tapered or weight-forward?

I've used nylon monofil on a couple of sets and found it absolutely fine for the purpose, as did Grundig in many of their '70s portable sets and if it's good enough for a large and well-respected manufacturer, then it's surely good enough for me.