UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2018, 12:05 pm   #21
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Hand wound Evershed & Vignoles 'megger' hair spring question

You take it on 'cos there's nothing to lose..!? The other reason i cite personally, is if i've done a stint on micro mechanics, it's a relief and less of a challenge to confront the guts of something big, bold and brassy like a Badische wall clock. It's nice to know the old wee megger is still economical to buy.. and often fully functional.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 12:35 pm   #22
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Yep, good point. I don't collect stuff unless it works, or can be made to work!

The Record Bond Tester is a 4-terminal battery-powered milliohmmeter dating from the WWII era and used, I believe, for earth bonding measurements on military aircraft. It was powered by a 1.2 volt wet Nickel-Iron alkaline accumulator and injects a test current of some 2 amps into the resistance under test. The instrument measures the small voltage appearing across the resistance. Current and voltage are applied to the now-familiar twin-coil movement, resulting in a deflection proportional to resistance. The scale range is 0.0 ohms to 0.1 ohms FSD. Judging from the serial numbers, at least 6,000 were made.

I want to use it for measuring the low resistance shunts used in Avometers and similar ammeters. I bought two of these in scrap condition at the NVCF a few years ago, hoping to make one good working example out of the two. One has a smashed Bakelite case, and both had suffered severe internal corrosion from leaking accumulator electrolyte. I suspect that fate befell the majority of these meters, so they're relatively scarce now and I can find nothing at all about them on the web. The legend "A.P. 19744" which is an Air Ministry "Air Publication" reference number appears on the scale plate, and when time permits I'll do a bit more research.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0031.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	156245  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 27th Jan 2018 at 12:37 pm. Reason: Clarity
Old 27th Jan 2018, 4:49 pm   #23
Sinewave
Octode

I've got one of these which only outputs 80 volts. Might get round to resoring it some day.
Old 5th Feb 2018, 9:04 am   #24
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
...I have a Record bond tester with a similar movement that has been corroded by battery leakage. The ligaments look impossible to repair...
Well, I'm delighted to report that I have proved myself wrong! The movement is now fixed. Thanks to Sam for the suggestion of using an aggressive flux, which after a few false starts was ultimately successful.

Watch out for a Success Story in due course

Old 5th Feb 2018, 9:15 am   #25
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I don't believe it!
I got something right for a change.
Did you manage to wash all the flux off Phil? It may go green otherwise. I don't know what would neutralise it safely, acid or alkali.
Pleased that you had another success despite the microsurgery, well done.
Old 5th Feb 2018, 10:04 am   #26
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks, Sam. Mmm... getting all the flux residue off was nigh-on impossible. These ligaments are so light they wave about like confetti in the slightest breeze, so holding them still is a challenge. I actually used a flux which is alleged to be non-corrosive.

Fingers crossed the repair will last a while.

Closed Thread