UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Sep 2023, 4:47 pm   #1
Andy G4NPA
Triode

Default Wiring materials - any asbestos hazard- pre war Murphy

Hello all

Can't find any specific advice - is the "cloth" covered wiring in an A70C likely to contain asbestos. If so any recommendations for dealing with it ?

Thanks

Andy
Old 11th Sep 2023, 5:34 pm   #2
Katar83
Pentode

Default Re: Wiring materials - any asbestos hazard- pre war Murphy

I've not seen any signs of asbestos anywhere in my A40C, I doubt they used it in these sets and if you find any frayed crumbling wires, just desolder(bag and bin) and replace.
Old 11th Sep 2023, 7:17 pm   #3
PaulR
Dekatron

From research my son has done following buying a Victorian house almost everything made before the mid 1990s might contain asbestos - Artex for example. However the amount released in disturbing cloth covered wiring is likely to be minimal - if it contains any at all
Old 16th Sep 2023, 1:09 am   #4
Oldmadham
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
From research my son has done following buying a Victorian house almost everything made before the mid 1990s might contain asbestos - Artex for example. However the amount released in disturbing cloth covered wiring is likely to be minimal - if it contains any at all
In a radio, there would have been no benefit in using asbestos, which is messy as hell in woven form.

In a lot of cloth covered wires, the insulation was actually rubber, (or sometimes varnish) with the cloth simply an outside sheath.
Old 16th Sep 2023, 11:23 am   #5
PJL
Dekatron

Use of asbestos in a domestic environment is mostly post WWII till the 1980's. We spent a load of money having it removed from our early Edwardian house that had been owned by a school from the early 1950's. They had asbestos board installed in the basement where the central heating boiler was and in a partition wall added to the upper hall.

Asbestos found in radios is mostly confined to dropper cables used during and post WWII to convert US radios to 230V and shielding around mains droppers such as the DAC90 but also on many others.
Old 17th Sep 2023, 5:09 pm   #6
Ken Taylor
Pentode

Bakelite may contain asbestos, I'm not sure if that is relevant to your set. It is probably not dangerous if the Bakelite is unbroken and in good condition, but it was brown asbestos they used - the worst kind.
Old 28th Sep 2023, 7:54 pm   #7
Andy G4NPA
Triode

Thanks everyone for the feedback, greatly appreciated.

There isn't much Bakelite in the set as far as I can see - apart from the knobs of course. No big dropper resistors as it's a transformer set it has a metal screen above the rectifier to protect the cabinet - nothing untoward there.

As far as the wiring is concerned, the cloth covering is indeed covering a rubber inner that seems OK for the most part but is crumbling at the ends in places.
Closed Thread